purchasing EMS units

i just read the chapter in CFTS about EMS. are any of these inexpenisve units any good and worth purchasing? i know nuthing about EMS units as you can see.

http://www.a1painproducts.com/emp-product%20list.htm

I got an EMS400. Check out: http://www.vitalityweb.com/backstore/ems.htm

I think I paid around $75. This unit meets most of Charlie’s specs (as far as I can tell) except that the relaxation time only goes to 30s. However, I take care of this by simply disconnecting the power and timing the rest interval myself.

The biggest hassle with it is that it only has 4 leads, so you have to treat each quad and hamstring separately. If it had 8 leads, then you could hit both quads at the same time which would save some time. But remember never to hit the quads and hamstrings simultaneously!

xlr8

Hey… is EMS worth the money and work for a soccer player ?? I train much track and weigth in addition to soccer. but i dont compete in track.

Wow, I had no idea there were machines this cheap out there! Thank you both.

does any one know of any australian sites?

Originally posted by xlr8
I got an EMS400. Check out: http://www.vitalityweb.com/backstore/ems.htm

I think I paid around $75. This unit meets most of Charlie’s specs (as far as I can tell) except that the relaxation time only goes to 30s. However, I take care of this by simply disconnecting the power and timing the rest interval myself.

xlr8

Xlr8
Can you confirm that is EMS unit allows the protocols recommended by Charlie. Thanks.

I can’t believe an EMS unit can be got so cheap.

While we are on the subject- Forum Members:

Please list the EMS unit you use or have experience with, include the price you paid and where you sourced it from.

It would be very useful to have a list of EMS units & sources, graded by price and function for those with various budgets. :wink:

I may get a little lecture on sticking to the basics for this one, but I’m going to risk it:

Assuming that the $75 machine meets Charlie’s protocols, could a high schooler probably getting mid to high 11s and striving for low 11s by the end of the spring season use an EMS machine? And before you say no, even if it wouldn’t be smart to use for strengthening for some reason, how about just for recovery since I don’t have access to massage?

gf_200,

I can assure you that it is for real…I own one! As far as meeting Charlie’s protocols, I never found a table that had all of the specifics that I could simply march down and check off…perhaps in the new book?

So what I did was try to figure out what were the important parameters and make sure I could achieve them with the unit I bought.

The big ones were stim time on and off. This unit meets the on time, but the off time only goes up to 30s (Charlie stresses that you want 60s rest between reps.) So I simply use an AC adapter and disconnect the power between reps to lengthen the rest intervals.

The output current is not an issue since Charlie said in Testosterone that all of these units have plenty of power for an athlete with low BF%. I was not able to find any good recommendations as far as stim frequency, other than you want it high enough to get a good isometric contraction. The unit is adjustable and 120Hz is well over that threshold.

The only other things were the pulse shape and width. These parameters were not adjustable on this unit and may not meet Charlie’s specs, but I don’t know since I couldn’t find any information defining what I should look for in those attributes.

I would be interested if anyone has more details about what to look for.

Of course, I am believing the spec sheet here. I haven’t tested it with an oscilliscope to verify that they meet the specs, but the knobs definitely change the stim :slight_smile:

xlr8

Anybody have an opinion on EMS for high schoolers?

pete,

ii have one, and i wish that i had it in h.s.

i rarely use it now because im not competing anymore.

but, it does have its place in any training program

Thank you so much Primo. I will buy the one that xlr8 posted soon.

Thanks xlr8.

The same company do another line with a specific ‘Russian’ Protocol in the $200-$300 price range.

http://www.vitalityweb.com/backstore/ems4000.htm

Yes, I looked at the “Russian stim” option, but you need to get a prescription from a doctor to purchase it (at least in the States.)

xlr8

This is the Biomed 2000, but if you look at the technical specs it sounds different than the one that Charlie used:

http://www.wisdomking.com/product17724c150046.html

you dont need a prescrip from Vitality web - they say you do but they don’t check for it. I got the 4000R with Russian stim 2500 HZ. This is the protocol Zatisorsky cites based on Kotz findings (like CF). Bottom line, the higher the freq the more involvement of the FT fibers. The FT fibers reside closest to the skin and the highest freq targets these. Tens and lower frq models still pref the FT but will dig deeper where the lower thresh motor units are. Sport the bucks and get a R Stim model as it will wreck your deck ( a good thing).

Higher the frequency the more involvement of FT fibers? Is this true? I always thought that around 100-150hz was enough…2000hz provides more benefit?

yes the higher the frequency the more intense the contraction, and the better benefit to the high thresh units. 150 hz is ok, and will be of benefit but if you want to max out your FT potential 2500 hz is the way to go…but it hurts bad.

if memory serves me right 2500 hz is 50 pulses per second - 50 contractions per second which blasts the FT fibers. I have used EMS since I was 14, I first had a machine that maxed at 150 hz. When it broke I researched and found that russian stim was what all of the studies on muscle strength and power increases were based off of. I bought a R stim model and have never been more sore (or stronger).

Hz = hertz = cycles per second. 2500 Hz is 2500 cycles of the waveform per second. FWIW, my physical therapist said I should set my unit at 55 Hz for strength work for my quad.