OL's

Probably correct. I’ll look at what micros I have.

I have never asked but have been told that the weight intensities are based on perceived max for that day. In other words if the feel dragging they may would lift accordingly…

Was that correct when you were there?

I have never asked but have been told that the weight intensities are based on perceived max for that day. In other words if the feel dragging they may would lift accordingly…

Was that correct when you were there?

As far as I can remember, all reps prescriptions were “buffered” for the required intensity or progressed to RM thru some sets, so one could stop to his daily RM eventually.

You can guess that from the posted program, too.

I see problems introducing a new training stimulus on the verge of the competitive season. Do them all the time or not at all…

You would introduce them 4 weeks before your comp season and stay in maint mode (3-4 sets; 1-2 reps for 80-90%). If you think about it true speed work, throws, jumps then coming into the weight room and during ol’s may not be very useful since you are working similar zone on the strength-speed curve. Also when you have all the other elements in the training at such high intensity adding ol’s may add undue stiffness in the lower back vs. during the comp season when the speed vol/intensity is lower along with other elements in the program etc. Since the ol’s recruit a lot more MU then most lifts they are very useful during the comp season as they allow you to decrease the overall vol of the strength program.

Any new exercise causes unnecessary conditioning stress. Additionally, the OLs are so technical that the athlete will spend the first 4 weeks relearning the exercise. Not advisable. Always or never…

BTW power cleans at 80%+ lie no where near speed work on the FV curve!

My point is the ol’s are closer to the speed side vs strength lifts. Also its the total program, sprints, jumps, and throws then during clean/snatch some may say a little redundant.

Now that’s a different arguement… Jon Edwards stopped squatting prior to 95 because his power clean (at 130Kg+) was providing sufficient strength stimulus. Additionally the lower time under tension minimised hypertrophy and the smaller loads reduced neural fatigue…

Unfortunately, most track athletes can’t perform the exercise efficiently or with enough load to be effective.

Unfortunately, most track athletes can’t perform the exercise […] with enough load to be effective.

Exactly my reason not to use OLs.

So other methods do you use in place of ol’s throughout the training year (gpp/spp/comp)?

did you edit or delete your previous post.

Excuse the ignorance here. We don’t have track, so I have VERY little experience with track athletes…

I’m following the discussion regarding the use of the OL’s, and I see the point about
“Unfortunately, most track athletes can’t perform the exercise […] with enough load to be effective.”

If the concern is about technique in the OL,OK. But what about strength levels?
IF these aren’t high level sprinters, won’t an increase in absolute strength lead (THEORETICALLY) to a potential increase in explosive force? ie., can’t the sprinter then strike the ground with more force?

I am fully aware that absoulte strength, and the ability to display it quickly are two entirely different traits. But why not then really work on making the athlete stronger, if that is indeed a weakness? Even if you chose NOT to do the OL’s, obviously a great deal of strength is needed to withstand the pounding that plyometric activity that would take the OL’s place…

Fascinating discussion…Please continue!

I agree with KB that ol’s are 1/3 tech, 1/3 explosiveness, and 1/3 strength. If the athlete improve there total body strength there ol’s should increase. if you have a guy who squat 200, he will never increase his pc until his strength improves vs. if you have a guy who squat 500 and clean 225.

So other methods do you use in place of ol’s throughout the training year (gpp/spp/comp)?

Full Squat-1/2 Squat-1/4 Squat+Lunge+Plyos.

If you have an athlete who can do 6x220Kg 1/2 squat and can’t make a decent PC with 70kg, what is the PC worth?

An élite sprinter can do 4xBW of 1/4 Squat, JS with 3xbw, what kind of stimulus is a not so well performed 1.5 (or less)bw PC?

I might be wrong, but these are my considerations for not using the OL, on top of time restraint for teaching them.

I have another (opposite) case: what if a relatively young athlete is able to power clean 85% of his maximum deep squat?

I have never seen a athlete squat that much and pc that little.

I have seen one élite sprinter do that.

I have seen many élite sprinters PC 130Kg max, when they squat numbers (real or potential) were WAY higher.

130 is alot diff from 70. a well train sprinter will give you 225-300lbs.

In my opinion 130Kg is still a not so intense stimulation for an élite sprinter. Good for whole body strength maintenance, but training strength is a different matter IMO.

The 70Kg PC guy is real, that goes to show that OL without technical proficiency can be really worthless.

have you considered that he wasn´t even trying seriously? :eek:
i am a skinny weakling (cannot even squat the half of that guy for once) and could clean that without any tech

He could lift it, but it was something horrible to see. Probably he could lift 100 or more, I don’t know. I never dared to know, it would have been an injury waiting to happen.