OL's

I belong in the they are just another tool to train qualities group. I do believe they are a very good tool, however, and easily quantifiable unlike some other methods. And perhaps not as dangerous as some other methods. Plus you only have to look at the the results of Oly lifters to see the “potential”. I know these guys are elite athletes and would probably excel in various other sports but when you see someone like Huster (83kg) or Lara(76kg) or Dimas (83kg) EASILY Power Clean 170kg+ you know there is something to them. And then you see some of the verts after successful lifts - way up there.

Personally, I enjoy doing them and I have just recently started training them minimum 5 days per week just for personal use, no specific sporting reason. I will let you know the results of the program after a few months if they are exceptional.

I hope James decide to participate in this thread because if I remember correctly he said jumps and throws are easier to quantify then ol’s. I dont know the details to your program but I have done a heavy ol program before and it worked great, if you would like to see I could post the movements I did each session.

Correct…fo not do OL if it poses such logistical problems! Do jump squats, bounds, med ball.

I know Pfaff and others do jump squats during gpp and most coaches wouldnt do this, what do you think about during jump squats in gpp? I really dont see a major problem during hang cleans and power cleans in a gym setting if the athlete keep the weight in the med intensity zone 60-75% maybe 80 for singles and go heavier with the pulls.

I’d like to see it if you dont mind laying out the basics of it.

When I think about it loaded jumps and throws should be as easy to quantify. Basically you are doing the same thing as an OL just different load and method of releasing the load and in some cases not receiving the load.

Remember this is something i worked up to over serveral months:

mon:
fs and jerk
fs
ps
pc
bp

wed:
pj and jerk (ex: 2/1)
spilt jerk
ohsquat
hs squat
hc squat
bp

fri:
ps squat(first rep power next squat pos)
pc squat
shp
chp
pj
bs
bp

I know Pfaff and others do jump squats during gpp

Pffaf’s athletes do JS during CP (scarcely loaded), probably also to prevent logistical problems while on the road.

During GP they do all kind of plyos, but I have never seen them do JSs. They do a lot of OLs though.

Guess you didnt see everything my friend:

MON

Olympics 6-8x3@80-85%
Bench 5,5,4,4,3,3@75-90%
Squat 6,5,4,4,3@70-80%
Toe risers- neg. only(2x15)
Seated rus. tw. w/ big arch (3x10

WED

Olympics 6-8x2@80-95%
Incline 2x5,2x3,2x5@70-80%
Lunge jumps 4x10, 10 contacts for each leg, 40-50% Bd Wt
Step ups 4x10 " " " " "
lunge good Mrn 4x10
Rus. Tw- overhead twists(3x10)

FRI
Olympics 6-8x3@80% only
Dumbell incline 5x5@?
lateral Dumbell sruats 5x5 “statis dynamic” (3 sec)
Jump squats w/ dumbell 6-8@50% Bd Wt
Toe risers Neg only (3x10)
Standing Rus Tw - overhead lateral bends (3x10)

It’s listed on some programs I have from him but it is very possible they are omitted now, were, etc. I do not remember the year of the micro I am referring to. I’ve never asked him specifically about it.

Didn’t you train with him?

As you said traveling in CP makes more sense so they can be used in place of OL’s. There is no reason you could not do variations in GP in place of OL’s if facilities were not available.

That is one I have seen from an early week in GP.

I would like to get Cf thoughts on jump squats during gpp…

Thanks bro!

its from jim schmitz 1980 and 1988 usa weightlifting coach.

MON

Olympics 6-8x3@80-85%
Bench 5,5,4,4,3,3@75-90%
Squat 6,5,4,4,3@70-80%
Toe risers- neg. only(2x15)
Seated rus. tw. w/ big arch (3x10

WED

Olympics 6-8x2@80-95%
Incline 2x5,2x3,2x5@70-80%
Lunge jumps 4x10, 10 contacts for each leg, 40-50% Bd WtStep ups 4x10 " " " " "
lunge good Mrn 4x10
Rus. Tw- overhead twists(3x10)

FRI
Olympics 6-8x3@80% only
Dumbell incline 5x5@?
lateral Dumbell sruats 5x5 “statis dynamic” (3 sec)
Jump squats w/ dumbell 6-8@50% Bd WtToe risers Neg only (3x10)
Standing Rus Tw - overhead lateral bends (3x10)

Funny, I have a VERY similar program from Nov. 1996 with all the mentioned exercises except the jump squats.

I was in Texas for the GP of the year 2000 and don’t remember any JSs, they could have been done the macro before or could have been a later addition (I mean, in the years after the year 2000).

Oct, GP 1, WK 1-3

What year?

not sure, but i believe either 99 or 2000.

So probably the JSs are done in the very early GP, by Nov.-Dec. they are gone already.

In fact, the intensities in my Nov. program are a step higher than the one in the program you posted.

OK, I jumped in late…
Just looking for a clarification: are we talking about jump squats, or squat jumps? (Is there a barbell or other implement involved?)

As for the last part of the thread, I am somewhere between choice A and B.
My background: I train for the sport of OL, and have an actual training hall set up for OL. For most sports, I (or my staff) teaches the OL’s or variations to the sports, depending upon sport. However, time is limited. If a kid just doesn’t “get it”, or lacks the prerequisite flexibility or ability to get into the proper positions (like that abortion we all saw from Maryland) - then we do something else!
At our level, it’s very difficult to get the year round training committment, but we have found it easier to get the kids into competing in OL in the off seasons - team idea, comraderie, etc…

Just looking for a clarification: are we talking about jump squats

Yes, JS w/dbs.