MJ 87.5% Speed Training?

Have been reading through the old arhive for 400 training and also the 75% and 95% recommendations.

I found stated that MJ did a session in pre season of 12x100 at 7/8 speed (2 minutes rest), which would be 87.5%.

Any comments?

I’ve also heard from witnesses that Michael ran 10 x 200 in 20.8 to 21.0 with a 200m walk between- in flats! How about that!!

20.8? … I don’t think so! Not in flats and not without a flying start anyway

why not? nothings impossible with MJ, look at 19.32…

and i`m not even a fan:P

The 87% 100 runs are perfectly possible (unlike the 10x200 in <21 in flats?) but is there a point or would there have been a more useful session?

I was also wondering why he did 10x200, presumably in about 75% (2 minutes rest) on the first day of pre season after rest. Surely the main reasons to do this are to improve cardiac output, capillary density, and lactic resistance, and this would have already been trained for in the phase before.

Kevin:
He was seen doing that workout at UCLA- in front of the HSI guys (though I wasn’t told whether they were from a stand or the fly). This is not that unbelievable for a guy with his speed. Many years ago, a friend of mine, who was on the Polish hurdles squad, saw Juantoreno run 10 x 200 between 21.5 and 22 flat with a 200m walk. Remember amazing competition times come from a series of amazing workouts.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
Remember amazing competition times come from a series of amazing workouts.

My new moto.

He enjoyed doing that workout in front of HSI!!

That can’t even be called amazing, that’s unhuman. This man probably had the best training base in history if he could do 10x200 in 20.8 with a walking 200m. recovery. I wonder if he reached the limit of possible development for functional areas in a human. He must have come very close. Flabbergasting. :o :o :o :o :o

Originally posted by aln
That can’t even be called amazing, that’s unhuman. This man probably had the best training base in history if he could do 10x200 in 20.8 with a walking 200m. recovery. I wonder if he reached the limit of possible development for functional areas in a human. He must have come very close. Flabbergasting. :o :o :o :o :o

20.8 stand = ~21.3 FAT.
21.3 is 91% of his PB.
Speed Reserve in action at the highest level :smiley:

You got it.

Originally posted by dcw23

20.8 stand = ~21.3 FAT.
21.3 is 91% of his PB.
Speed Reserve in action at the highest level :smiley:

Add 10x with 200m recovery and we’re talking about speed reserve + speed endurance at the highest level :clap:

Whether you like him or not M Johnson was pretty special.

Johnson was some kind of a mutant. I will never forget watching his 1996 Olympic 200 meters. I started watching trac and field because of him, and I’ve never stopped.

Few athletes have had so much success and so much adversity in one career.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
I’ve also heard from witnesses that Michael ran 10 x 200 in 20.8 to 21.0 with a 200m walk between- in flats! How about that!!

I’ve also heard that Ben squated 650lbs 30 minute before the Seoul final. How about that!!

20.8 stand = ~21.3 FAT.
21.3 is 91% of his PB.
Speed Reserve in action at the highest level :smiley: [/quote]

Yes, but only if he did this workout in '96. Because as far as I remember he never ran again faster that 19.8.
Also when you do such a workout (quantity) this means that you are not close to your competition phase. So you have also not the top speed you’re going to have…

I’m sorry guys, I can’t see 91% here…

Dazed. check out the squating before a race topic

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/viewthread.php?tid=2194

Originally posted by lebeau
Dazed. check out the squating before a race topic

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/viewthread.php?tid=2194

I think Dazed was wearing a pair of his cleverist trousers when he made that post. :wink:

Speed Reserve in action at the highest level

dcw,
how did he get such a high speed reserve if he only does “max speed” sprinting once a week?
Every “sample” program of CH’s that I have seen are full of tempo and speed endurance but low on max speed.

It may be time to pull out the figures …