low bar squat

Wow, I was using the very same leg press machine as Jeremy Wariner was! I forget what that coaches name is that is training him. For the times I have seen JW work out, I never have seen him squat or do any heavy movements.

so ur saying u want someone to do the work 4 u? if someone has smashing success with these methods then its time to start working on new ones. really the evolution never stops but i guess u would be happy always catching up.

wow u tha man - did you use the leg press right after JW?

Yep, was going to ask him for an autograph but Odell told me to stay focused. No joke!

lol, tell odell to get off the damn leg press.

its not that its flawed just old. now old doesnt mean wrong either but its important to take advantage of new knowlede and new devlopments. i told you why you should squat a specific way did you bother to research the feedforward system or intermuscualr coordination and tranfer to sport. or did u just oppose my view because u felt it was attack on ben and his methods of training (though it was not). if the logic is there, then it should be considered. if someone tells me something im not familiar with i research it decide for myself the validity. did u do anything of the sort?really take what i have writtern compare it to given knowledge and synthesize a decision. there is no such thing as a genral stimulus u may consider it such but everything u do will have a very specific effect on the body. really man im not trying to tell u ur wrong im trying to get u to think about the possiblities. now have i used these methods? yes have i seen the rapid benefit? yes. am i world class athlete? lol not at them moment and maybe never but that doesnt mean that the right indivdual using these methods wont exceed previous standards of excelence.

Well, my back was injured before he started training me, so he recommended the leg press for that whole summer. That will change this summer when he starts conditioning me again. Odell also is running a football camp this summer, and he wont include any testing(40yd, VJ, etc).

is it a camp through bu are his personal camp?

damn right. i’m happy to catch up to 6.39 9.77 and 19.32.

It’s his personal camp at BU.

i may be there, thanks for the info. do you a website for more info?

fair enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cjz3ptnO0s

Based on the discussion going on here what do you guys make of this squat technique being performed in the above video?

Personally I thought it wasn’t that bad however others on the comments below it didn’t think so. I was thinking a technique like this would be alright for general stimulus in regards to sprinting.

But for the powerlifters i guess it’s a different story, since most of them like to pause at the bottom at or below parallel with a less than 90 degree bend and squat slowly. Didn’t Pierre Jean says that Fasuba does his squats to a 90 degree knee bend and regardless of the depth the load 400lbs is still heavy and is good for stimulus.

Well, if you want it critiqued from a form point of view, the depth is pretty shallow. That looks slightly deeper than a half squat to me. Now, maybe he intended to do this and maybe this is appropriate (who knows), but it definitely wouldn’t pass even the most lenient powerlifting fed and it is about a foot from full I’d say. Dropping the weight as he did is also a really stupid thing to do as well.

yes 315 being dropped on those support racks is pretty stupid. How hard would it have been to attempt one more squat and if not it would have already been pretty much on the racks.

Or he could have just rack the weight…

He don’t need to rack the weight. Jesus gat his back yo

because of his black pants its a bit hard to determine joint angles but its obvious that hes not going that deep, though depth is dependnet on your training goals (for example sometimes it is useful to use a weight that is much more than a person can fully squat and simply hold the weight on mucualr tension or squat partially, 150 degrees or even higher, this is useful in preparing the neurological system for heavier weights in full movements). also its quite obvious he has a weakness or neurological ineffecientcy in his spinal erectors hence the falling forward on the concentric. not a fan of belts either but thats another discussion altogether.

i also agree dropping the weight like that was retarded. not that you should never do that but in that circumstance it was kinda obvious it was a meat head move. i like to work with all olympic plates (the colored rubber ones) and use weightlifting (as in the sport) stands. you can drop the weight and the olympic plates are great for dynamic and plyometric work.

interesting thing on my low bar squat was that my 350lb max was very high to where i thought it would be, i couldnt do 2 reps at 315 yet i could max out at 350 that day hehehe.

i dip in my squats to like the guy in the video althouhg i go much lower then him. I tried to fix it reading in this forum and others helping but my back doesnt fix itself so i dealt with it.