low bar squat

i always did high bar squat short stance more the type olylifters do. However i learned and got comfortable with doing powerlifting low bar squats (although i dont do wide stance same stance as high bar squat), where i can actually do more weight, i have progressed nicely with this tech. I am unsure if this technique is just improved for a more efficient way of squatting rather then improve my absolute strength compared to the high bar squat, is there a difference btw the two styles being better more suited for the athlete especially us sprinters?

ask yourself “which better mimics the muscular recruitment paterns for the given motion” it sure isnt a power squat. the goal isnt to move more weight is it? its to sprint faster. how much you lift means nothing how you lift is everything. your goal is athletics yes? then train to improve the transferability from what you do in the weightroom to the track or field this is largely based on intermuscualr coordination, the coordination of muscular activity. does your motion indicate a harmonious activation and deactivation of individual muscles to provide smooth and effecient movement?

i seem to be fast still dont know how fast as im training by myself. But i dont feel extremely slow, im also losing weight which is good. I will be doing cleans soon anyway so that should go way up from last time, and that would help transfer the weightroom stuff to the track hopefully.

Think of complete movement. You will load the hips more effectively with a high-bar squat, and the only thing you really gain with the low-bar squat is better leverage. Short answer: the high-bar squat requires more athleticism, as it tends to be when a lift reduces load (which for most of us is a positive).

What about the low-bar “full squat” advocated by Pendlay and Rippetoe. which is essentially just lowering the bar placement, but keeping the stance and similar depth of an Olympic full squat?,

What about a low-bar powerlifting squat. That’s what we do. I don’t see how a high-bar squat is more “athletic” and loads the hips better. Sure maybe it loads the hips if you go butt to calf but then the load isn’t that great if you’re going that deep anyway.

Since a squat of any form is a general stimulus for sprinting, does it really matter what form of squat ing technique an athlete does (as long as proper depth and safe technique is employed?

Word. I was just going to say that. I even question proper (full/parallel) depth.

The only problem I have with power squats (assuming stance width is not excessively wide) is that people tend to cut the depth a lot as the weight goes up. It’s hard to equate or compare power squats because one day it may be right at parallel another it may be a glorified quarter squat.

Mort–at what point do you feel depth is enough? I know when I switched from power squats that were at or slighty above (no more than 2") parallel my numbers went down a lot and I am only now approaching those numbers in the full squat with a lot of work still to go.

wut happens when you plance the bar lower on your back? tension is shifted to the spinal erectors and its closer to a goodmorning than a true athletic squat. again your worrying about load instead of correct form. is you r goal to lift more or to be ore athletic … they are not always the same.

That is a good question (depth). I don’t know. As long as they’re sitting back and loading the glutes/hams I’m not super picky on depth. I am considering moving some of my people to 1/2 squats (maybe 120* knee angle).

stimulus isnt just stimulus. the recruitment patterns are different between the movements. simply shocking your lower body with heavy weight isnt going have the greatest training effect (it wont transfer maximaly to your given athletic event).

Yes I am worrying about load more than textbook strength coach form (as long as the form is safe). My goal is to lift more. If I want to be more athletic, that’s what the athletics arena is for.

The same could be said for high bar squats.
Since changing to high-bar “athletic” squats and beginning to approach your old low-bar numbers, how has your sprinting been affected (rhetorical question).

lol ur gunna just automatically be more athletic casue u step into an athletic areana… if your goal is just to lift weight thats fine but remember that to do that form must be as close to perfect also to get the most out of your body. but if your goal is to lift more weight by all means…

All good points. A few thoughts that come to mind while reading these comments.

First, keep in mind that what I believe everyone, except bodybuilders, are looking for when squatting is increasing the limit strength of the posterior chain. Just because a lift is more demanding on your body doesn’t mean that it will produce benefits where you want them.

Secondly, I believe to make maximal gains in posterior chain power and strength on a consistent basis, you need to change some of the variables mentioned here, such as bar placement, width of stance, and squatting depth, on a regular basis.

Thirdly, many of the problems mentioned, especially shallowing of the squatting depth as the weight goes up, are solved by box squatting. You never see anyone miss their depth on a box squat.

Transfer is lies, someone show me data supporting the higher transferability of one squat to sprinting over another.

The whole point of weights is general stimulous.

I dont understand the distinction of what makes one squat more athletic than another, does michael jordan, or kobe, or clemens, or carl lewis, or gretsky all use this special squat to become athletic, maybe i am missing what everyone means by athletic.

I disagree. I think the whole point of things is not to completely separate stimulus, but to maintain consistency with the desired effect of training. Load is unimportant if motor unit recruitment is off. I never load squats any heavier than I have to. And I always go with Aristotle’s words regarding the great man, except put to training: The great man isn’t great for the sake of great, but because he is. To me, that means the drill/exercise is fast because that’s what it is. Sprinting/explosive jumping is fast because it is necessary. You can’t make squats a heavier movement just to make it heavier. It’s about purpose. My belief is the coordination of a parallel or full squat is more athletic and requires greater knowledge/use of the hips. But that’s just me.

no ur making assertions that dont apply and fallacious associations.

first off i never said an olympic squat has ore transferability i said a squat performed correctly does this is given intermuscual coordination is correct. you guys are missing the point its not the excercise or the weight that matters its the lasting effect that it has on the neurological system, the feedfoward system to be exact. if michael jordan did this squat or not doesnt mean a thing dont confuse skill with effecientcy. by yout method of logic nothing better can be done than has already be done. we are limited to what others have done to be successful instead of what is possible. dont get me wrong its a place to start but you cant do better by doing the same.