Jeremy Maclin/Mizzou Strength Training

Some good things being done; some exercise similarities to things I have seen from Buddy Morris/Tom Myslinski from years back and also very similar structure to what my strength coaches (Kaz Kazadi, Chris Ruf, Adam Davis) at Baylor did.

Shows the ARP and Omegawave in use.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MissourianMaclinProj

It also shows some terrible tecnhiques and coaching! Yuk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BloZRzjxTI

The hang clean is really terrible. If you don’t want to catch the bar, just drop it, but I see a serious risk for the back from a mile with the technique in the video!

I forgot! The power shrug done that way is almost criminal and the sled pull is anti-specific at best.
Don’t want to be too hard, but does the strength coach get paid for that?

No wonder he only ran a 4.43. Im pretty dissappointed in their training, Im from St. Louis and used to watch MAcklin play in high school. He was in a different district so i never got to play against him, but he had some serious speed.
Sometimes i just wish all S and C coaches new about this site:(

Anti-specific? Sled pulls are one of the best acceleration tools available. How is that anti-specific?

He’s talking about the tech used on the sled pulls. The weight was toooo heavy with poor acc mech…

At 7:10 in the video, Pat Ivey says “He set several personal records, some could be measured and some could not be measured.” :confused:

I’m going to start using that line, ‘yeah, I set a personal record, it just couldn’t be measured’.

Well I think most of you probably never stepped in a NCAA weight room before. I’m not trying to defend Maclin’s technique in any way but it is at least par for the course, and likely better, than the lifting technique you will see at any other school.

I would like to see what their speed work looks like. From the video it appears that they lift before they run (perhaps something unique to Maclin though).

I’ve been in enough weight rooms, commercial and otherwise to know that yes, it’s par for the course but that’s not saying anything: shit technique is shit technique no matter how much you want to make excuses for it.

And most strength coaches are more interested with weight on the bar than proper lifting mechanics.

Lyle

The danger, in my own experience, in using a Tendo unit is that the athlete tends to shorten the movement and “jerk” the weight. I always registered faster speeds when I did a complete pull and kept my feet grounded the whole time.

Aside from the dynamic pulls and the sled work (not sure if the point was to drag or run?), I thought the other lifts were of adequate technique. Honestly the 36’’ depth jumps into a broad jump were of more concern to me than the technique of the shrugs and high pulls.

Was there access to ARP and Omega Wave at Baylor?

They purchased the Omegawave last winter and have been recording data since then. They also incorporate Tendo units and have an in-house DEXA machine.

Just goes to show you what genetics and the ability to play football can overcome.

Exactly!! What is he trying to do?

Come on, I will never allow an athlete to do the power clean and the power shrug the way he did them. Never! I mean, are we kidding or not?

I agree that the technique is not great, however I challenge you to post video of a world-class sprinter, football or basketball player with textbook form on the Olympic lifts or even the power lifts.

If I recall, Ben’s bench press technique was nothing to write home about. Was it any less effective?

I think Buddy Morris said it best, strength training is GPP for the athlete, they aren’t going to be very good at it so give them things they can’t screw up!

A lot of kit with no brains!

Well, I would not primarily concerned about the effectiveness of the exercise, much more about risk of injury. Technique shown is simply orrible and very risky. This does not mean they are not doing a good job in other areas. In this one they are badly wrong.

Wow, 300 bucks a week for cooked food paid for by his agent? Thats over 14k a year!

Hmm, that sounds like what Brian Cushing did; got an agent who paid for all his food and suppliments untell he got drafted.

Good thing track athleates don’t need to eat this much as I would have retired from the sport along time ago due the cost alone.