It's still all about me

John, you won’t be posting your new toy usage??

Hmm I’ll try and remember, I also don’t post foam roller as see that as part of stretch.

Have just been using recovery sessions.

Monday
50 mins on ITB

Tuesday
35 mins on lower back and glutes
35 mins on hamstings and calves
35 mins on ITB

Wednesday
35 mins on hamsting and calves

Thursday
35 mins on lower back
35 mins on hamsting and calves
35 mins on ITB

Ok!!

So, to respond to your “addiction” comment… YES it is addictive.!! At least it was for the first couple of months for me, and then I have been going through addiction phases :slight_smile:
You will realize what works and helps as you use it.

and of course we all know I don’t have an obsessive personality :wink: :rolleyes:

Sat 22 Jan

Auto Reg rating

Grass
5 x 10m walkback rec
5 x 15m 90 sec rec
5 x 20m 2 min rec
4 x FEF 6 min rec

Med Ball Throws
Backwards x 5
Overhead x 5
1 hop x 6
2 hop x 6
3 hop x 6

Bench
3 min rec
5 x 60
5 x 5r x 70, 1s x 3r x 75, 1s x 2r x 75

S/set with 60 sec between reps
1 arm db row 5s x 8r x 35db
Military press 5s x 8r x 35

abs

stretch

EMS
35 mins hamstring & calves
35 mins ITB

Rating

close but not quite ready to race especially as strong gusty headwinds. Probably would have been ok to squat but erred on side of caution, increased med ball stuff instead. Read excellent articles on Derek’s site

http://www.runningmechanics.com/articles/injury-management-and-rehabilitation/hamstringrehabpart1/

http://www.runningmechanics.com/articles/injury-management-and-rehabilitation/hamstringrehabpart2/

am planning on going to Melbourne in November to watch the Presidents Cup Golf http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/presidentscup/ so am pretty pissed with the latest scheduling which has the South African Open at the same time

The timing of the decision is even more peculiar considering how the last South African Open turned out. It was a 1-2-3-4 finish by Els, Retief Goosen, Louis Oosthuizen and Charl Schwartzel, with Tim Clark in a tie for ninth. Those five South Africans currently occupy the top six spots in the Presidents Cup standings.

from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110118/ap_on_sp_go_ne/glf_on_the_fringe011811

Auto Reg rating
+2

Conditioning
L tempo

abs

stretch

EMS
35 mins ITB

Rating

maybe possibly a bit of fatigue near the end in hamstring but possibly due to me thinking about it.

Auto Reg rating
+2

Track
3/4 thru warm up - injured :o:mad:

EMS

Massage

Rating

all felt good and was doing some ankling drill when felt ping at top of calf just below back of knee. Not good!

Auto Reg rating
+2

Track
3/4 thru modified warm up

Bench
3 min rec
5 x 60
3s x 5r x 72, 1s x 4r x 72

Pull ups 5s x 8r
Dips 5s x 8r

Rower :rolleyes:
7 x 3min on 1 min rec

abs

stretch

EMS

Rating
:confused:

calf felt miles better from Monday with slight tenderness only however it got real sore doing A skips so flagged it.

According to http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/backlowerleg/calfstrain.htm it appears to be a Grade 2 Medial Gastrocnemius strain. The hassle is this, and hamstring which is still tender and flares up when my calf hurts, are new injury sites. Usually my calf is in the the junction between the gastrocnemius muscles and achilles tendon and the only upper leg issues were a few years ago right at the top by the glute. This makes it tricky as I am not sure my usual recovery methods will work the same (shit its sad I have usual recovery methods for injuries) . Even if they do it will be at least another 2 1/2 weeks (more likely 3 1/2) till I’m right so at best I’m going to be racing Feb 12 and more likely 19th which is Day 1 of regional champs. That would give me 5 x racing … and that assumes all goes as expected. Considering how things have been the last 6 weeks that is unlikely :o …hmmmmmmmmm

EMS
35 mins ITB
35 mins calves

//youtu.be/koY6kXhQDQo

Auto Reg rating
+2

Squats
3 min rec
5 x 70
5 x 5 x 115

Bench
3 min rec
5 x 60
5 x 5 x 70

Military press 5s x 8r x 35

Rower
7 x 3min on 1 min rec

abs

stretch

EMS
35 mins ITB

Rating

Auto Reg rating
+2

Rower
6 x 5min on 1 min rec

abs

stretch

EMS
35 mins ITB
35 mins calves

Rating

lots of improvement last few days with calf although still not right.

I am flying to Wellington for work tomorrow, the weather forecast is for gale force winds :o

Auto Reg rating
+2

Squats
3 min rec
5 x 70
5 x 5 x 115

Bench
3 min rec
5 x 60
4s x 5r x 70, 1s x 7r x 70

Pull ups 5s x 8r
Dips 5s x 8r

Rower
7 x 3min on 1 min rec

abs

stretch

EMS

Rating

getting closer, just a bit of tightness in upper calf, back of knee. Will row tomorrow, rest Wed then see how it is Thursday.

Winds weren’t quite as bad as predicted yesterday, still not good and pretty bumpy but had quite a few worse :o

Auto Reg rating
+2

Rower
6 x 5min on 1 min rec

abs

stretch

EMS
35 mins ITB

Rating

Auto Reg rating

Tempo
2000m

Squats
3 min rec
5 x 70
5 x 5 x 115

Bench
3 min rec
5 x 60
4s x 5r x 70, 1s x 8r x 70

Military press 5s x 8r x 37

abs

stretch

EMS

Rating

getting very close but not quite. Calf got a bit fatigued so stopped 200m short of L tempo.

Yeah, my EMS is copping a flogging over the last 2wks also.
35min, sounds like same setting as mine (program 12) ?

I like to use a steel dumbbell on the calfs/hammies for foamrolling - the steel actually really gets into them and loosens em right up.

Have you tried foamrolling the Lateral Thigh muscle (next to the ITB) Man, that hurts the 1st time. Have found rolling on Two foams spreads the load out more evenly and makes it actually possible. As the muscle gets better you can remove one Foam :slight_smile:

Have you checked your Shoes? They can make your Calfs really sore when the support / cushioning has worn out. Typically mine last 350km max. Then calf injuries are just around the corner. I ordered some new Mizuno shoes that Claim 20% reduction after a massive 600km!! I’m just over half way and they are going strong still :slight_smile:

yeah program 12, I run it on 50MA :cool:

I actually bruised the first few times with my Thera roller http://www.thera-roll.com/ on Lateral Thigh, all good now though.

Shoes are pretty new and not that worn, I think the issue was hammy injury and I slightly hyper extended the knee which caused the problem.

Fri 4 Feb

EMS
35 mins ITB

legs felt great today and have decided I will give it a go tomorrow. Will warm up and see how things are anyway and if not right will amend from that.

Have found this cool blog http://richardwiseman.wordpress.com/

50ma!!! I’m in the 30’s…

I find the bruising non existant or close to non existent if you do a Good Stretch after foamrolling. Don’t get that anymore, even with Steelrolling :cool:

yeah its all good now, that was only the first week or so.

Sat 5 Feb

Auto Reg rating
+2

Track
warm up only :o

Squats
3 min rec
5 x 70
5 x 5 x 115

Bench
3 min rec
5 x 60
5 x 5 x 72

Pull ups 5s x 8r
Dips 5s x 8r

Rower
7 x 3min on 1 min rec

stretch

Rating
?

no point doing more than a warm up, top of calf and behind knee got sore and tight. Have decided will give till next Saturday and if not right (which I expect will be the case) then re-evaluate everything

Auto Reg rating
+2

EMS (strength)

Rower
6 x 5min on 1 min rec

Jump rope
7 x 3min on 1 min rec

abs

stretch

EMS
35 mins ITB

Rating

rowing bores me but actually enjoyed the jump rope and think it may have helped my calf. Was a bit noticeable (sore would be an exaggeration) for the first 10 or so seconds but good as after that. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

So if I look at the rest of the season it is
Feb
19 Track & Field Championships Day 1
20 Otago Track & Field Championships Day 2
26 I Cannot be there

March

so at best I have 5 lots of races (100 & 200) and so far I haven’t raced for 7 weeks during which time I have been injured for approx 4 1/2 with either my back, hamstring or calf affecting things. The races prior to the Christmas break were shit but I was actually improving (not difficult!). There is a good chance I will only race another 3 times, in March.

Not racing isn’t actually what frustrates me, its what it represents which is that I am not able to train how I want which is my main consideration. :mad::mad:

Today is C and my 23rd wedding anniversary, and we have been together 26 years as got together on 5 Feb 1985.

Tues 8 Sept

Auto Reg rating

Conditioning
L tempo :cool:

Squats
3 min rec
5 x 70
5 x 5 x 115

Bench
3 min rec
5 x 60
5 x 5 x 72

GM 5s x 8r x 80
Military press 5s x 8r x 37

Abs

stretch

Rating

went and saw my physio today and 3 of my shoes (including my warm up /plyo trainers and track spikes) were set wrong which was putting me in an unbalanced and weak position. Getting that sorted will help!

[i]We can treat swelling, pain, inflammation and muscle weakness with medication and physiotherapy. But if we do not sort out what could be causing or contributing towards the problem, the body may not heal optimally. Alternatively, other areas of the body may develop pain.

At Sole Physiotherapy, contributing factors towards your injury will be analysed. This may include asking questions pertaining to your family history, previous injuries, work situation and sports training. You have the right to choose not to inform the physiotherapist of these. However, this would make it more difficult to analyse your injury.

Your shoes will be assessed, as these can be important factors adding towards injuries. The approach here will not attempt to change your natural biomechanics. The assessment will determine, whether the shoes make you more efficient.

Inserts may be used to place your foot as closely as possible to your natural position during walking and running in that shoe. If the inserts prove to be uncomfortable at any time, the physiotherapist would need to be informed.

If you have a long-standing problem, more than one appointment may be needed to analyse contributing factors to your injury.

Once these factors have been dealt with, manual therapy may be used to treat remaining pain or stiffness. Rehabilitation exercises may need to be performed to strengthen your body, as relevant to your specific work or sports.

You will be taught to monitor yourselves – your symptoms, the shoes you wear, your posture during work and sport, your general activity and training programmes, as applicable.

Constant re-assessment of your condition and your goals is imperative for good outcomes of treatment. If your symptoms do not improve, should they get worse and if your goals are not achieved, the physiotherapist would need to be notified to modify treatment appropriately.

If you would like more information of the approach used at Sole Physiotherapy, or have any concerns, please discuss these with Chris Sole.

Articles from published research to support his approach are available.[/i]

Wed 9 Feb

Auto Reg rating

Conditioning
L tempo :cool:

stretch

Rating