Importance of High Quality Training Partners

What is the value of having high quality training partners. I have a sprinter who I train by himself (we have other sprinters, but of much lower calibre). Would the addition of high level sprinters to the group help to raise his level of performance? This is assuming that these individuals would likely only run against each other for block workouts (not speed or speed endurance workouts). But does the synergy of good performances in training and competition raise the level of all involved? Does it depend on the individual?

I assume this is also the case with someone like Tim Montgomery who is virtually training by himself. Even if Marion was training with him at this point in time, she is not fast enough or at the same level and would not run with him/against him.

Although track is considered an individual sport, is there significant value in having high performance team members around you?

I would be interested in comments on this topic.

I think for sure competition in training is good.If someone beside you is going hard,if you are even a somewhat competitive person you try to keep up.

Funny, this is a good question and i’d say yes and no. Most of the time when you are doing workouts you are working with times. If the athlete is running tempo at 75% max, there is a time associated with that therefore he should hit those times. Same goes for speed and speed endurance work, there are always times that are associated with it. As for block work, it would definitely help with a partner for handicap starts maybe, but even block work can have time associations, ie, 7th step etc… But, i think if you are paying attention to mechanics and technique, a partner is not needed, unless your athlete obviously runs faster when running against competion, and in that case that is just a mental block he/she has to get through.

for blocks a partner is very useful.doing blocks by yourself is fine but when it comes to race day you suddenly have people in the lanes next to you which can be distracting when you’re not used to it.also training with a team makes training more fun and entertaining.alone is tough and gives the athlete to much time to think rather than sprinting.

its a highly debatable question but my final answer would be yes for competitive block sessions and yes for support

Amen to what X-Man said…

Yes and No.

I depends on the athlete I think. They have to understand and have the mental ability to realise that the new person who is better than them is there to help them.

I have found though that I look for the quality of the person.

Talent is important but hard work vibes can help even the most gifted…I think a training group is important. It also depends on the personality of the coach…if he is a motivator great…but if you are by yourself and the coach is a hermit…then you may have trouble getting pumped for practice.

It’s probably circumstantial although I would think overall it would be better to train with someone of equal or better qualities.

Probably depends what you want out of a particular session.

Most of the time I would ask athletes to achieve tasks specific only to them. Therefore, to introduce the element of competition into the process changes matters from a sort of closed skill to an open skill session. That is, by introducing competition you involve that potential distraction. Of course that’s what athletes face in every contest, so dress rehearsal so to speak is useful.

But having a lunatic aggressor in the squad can change the ambience away from a relaxed and enjoyable training environment into a routine of daily confrontation. Some coaches may think that’s exactly what they want. Not me, not the Olympic finalists I have worked with/for.

I found the better the athlete, the more they tried to focus on delivering a technical, relaxed and fast performance in training.

I think racing from the blocks, or in some sessions involving ladders, it could work. There are also the hack sessions that I’ve asked 400m runners to do, such as 9x300, 12X150, 6x200 with jog recoveries where it’s good to have company, but the standard isn’t important.

What is important is the aspiration of the training partner, where they’re really serious about getting better. Good humour, good nature, positive outlook…these are what counts.

When Darren Clark ran his best times, won his most important races his only training partners were Maree Holland and two junior girls (Kylie Robertson, Colinda Farrar). So he ran in the company of women.

But he took inspiration from their efforts. Even when the occasion speedster joined Clark for a session, or a season, he would sooner or later have to do his most important runs solo, so that he could get the best out of himself - ie, speed through mechanics and power delivered through rhythm and relaxation.

Ultimately a world class athlete is going to have trouble finding another training partner that good. And ultimately everyone needs to learn how to run “alone” as it were, undistracted by anything outside their own lane.

-kk

Good point,

maybe training trips with other athletes is a good solution, instead of having one athlete move…it also has to compromise training when two plans are involved.

But having a lunatic aggressor in the squad can change the ambience away from a relaxed and enjoyable training environment into a routine of daily confrontation. Some coaches may think that’s exactly what they want. Not me, not the Olympic finalists I have worked with/for.
-kk

I agree, there’s a time to push and a time to pace.

[i]
I found the better the athlete, the more they tried to focus on delivering a technical, relaxed and fast performance in training.

Ultimately a world class athlete is going to have trouble finding another training partner that good. And ultimately everyone needs to learn how to run “alone” as it were, undistracted by anything outside their own lane.
-kk
[/i]

Truer words have never been spoken.

I personally have never found a partner to train with regularly that was the same ability. I don’t think that would have helped though since when I have trained with someone of the same or better it has turned into a race of sorts and I definatly feel that can be a setup for overtraining. Better for me to train alone or with someone a little slower so I don’t have to race in training just in the races. Amos

I enjoy working out by myself because i’m on my schedule and don’t have to wait for others. Training trips are a nice change from time to time though. An athlete must be self motivated to workout alone and many couldn’t do this.

It seems as though the training partner relationship is like any other “realitionship”. If you have a great and supportive boyfriend/girlfriend or husband/wife that you get along with well with then the communication, synergy(sp?), and benefit to both parties is undeniable. Also as in any relationship the two parties woudl need to have compatible goals. If the opposite is true you can imagine or have experienced the effects.

The preference for or against a training partner seems like it most likely has been a result of our own situations and how we have adapted. Finding a quality trainign partner is kind of like fnding a good girl/boyfriend;hard to do, but undeniably worth is if you can.

What do u think MJ/others?

Tunnelvision,

I totally agree. As you know it is hard to find a partner that you can count on daily. This means the track and the weightroom. There are always benefits for partners (motivation to practice harder and as a lifting partner). I’m just not in a situation to practice with anyone and I have gotten used to it. It is difficult on some days though.

Amen MJ!!! I completely feel you. Too bad there isn’t a sprinter training webpage kind fo setup liek a dating webpage. Spritners from various regions could post their events, likes, dislikes, etc and u coudl see who u were compatible with… :stuck_out_tongue:

Great idea TV1285,

Could be a great business idea for athletes…

I like having people around me that test me, i have to get myself hyped up to train against one of my training partners. I like the feeling of it when i step on the track we push it to the max every time, i don’t know the meaning of 80% effort.

Having a committed training group is definitely an asset (though they don’t have to be at the same level- or even gender). If you think a web page for sprinters is a good idea, you have one right here, not only to potentially connect sprinters with sprinters, but with therapists and other support people as well. This was one of the reasons for the location part of the member profile.

Yes, but I can’t figure out any way to see (in list form) where everyone is from other than tediously clicking on each user to get their details. Am I missing something?

I have to comment on this subject.

Training partners can be great; I’ll give you that. When my friend JT comes out and decides to run with me, it kind of gets me going and gets my adrenaline going. The thing is, he only runs with me on tempo days because he is a running back and I’m a 400 runner. Otherwise, training partners can be great.

On the other hand, training partners can be detrimental. I’m not going to put down anyone, especially on this board, but sometimes training partners can be a nuissance. If they aren’t on the same level as you regarding intensity, desire, and willpower, then they are just the first part of an asset.

I, personally, love training alone. Call me weird, call me strange, call me whatever, but I love training alone. There is no one around me to hold me back. I go all out 100% on hard days, and know how to hold back on tempo days. A lot of times training partners can be too competitive and ruin the focus of a practice session. Or, they can whine, moan, groan, get you out of focus, and even ruin rest times which destroy workouts.

Training alone is a rush, in some ways. People out there staring at you when you are going 100% on a workout and watching you fly is actually pretty cool. I love it. People come up to me all the time and ask what college I run for (obviously thinking I’m fast :slight_smile: ) and when I tell them that I have 1 year left of HS their jaws drop. That “tickles my fancy”, if you will. People automatically assume that college kids are hard workers and HS kids are lazy, and then they see me out there and are amazed.

I don’t care what people think anymore. I’ve learned to do that. Other people’s opinions, especially complete strangers’, mean jack to me because they are unimportant in my life. They have no bearing on what I say, do, act, or whatever. I think that is a big thing that keeps people from being so determined, is that they are worried of what other people think about them or say about them. I don’t care. Say what you will, but I’m the one who’s busting mine to kick yours, you know what I’m saying?

Finally, training alone helps you better prepare for races, in a sense. Of course you don’t learn/strengthen that mentality to pick it up when someone’s ahead of you, but you learn that no one else matters and you are your only judge.

That is the number one key to being successful in my opinion, in track and field. You can’t go out worrying about others, you are your own enemy and you are the only one you need to impress. That’s why my signature used to say “The only competition is the clock”. Because that is so true. If you go out every race and only worry about beating your PB every time, then wins will come. Of course you are going to try to win the race, but if you keep the thought in your mind that your only goal is to run faster than what you did last time, it will all fall into place.

I fell into the trap of worrying what others think when someone commented on that sig and I changed it…well, now it’s back. And (name), kiss my tooshie because I know what it means and it is a metaphor, and if you don’t get it, it’s on you, but it is one of the truest statements you’ll ever hear.

Just my 10 cents (probably closer to a dollar).