High School Multi-Sport Yearly Planning

How have you handled coaching multi-sport high school athletes? Most athletes I’ve encountered are 3 sport athletes, with the most common example being:

Fall: Football (Aug 1-Nov 10)
Winter: Basketball (Nov 20-Mar 1)
Spring: Track (Mar 1-May 25)
Summer: Off season

Factors to consider for my situation:
-The weather is too cold + snow to have access to a track from Dec 1-March/April 1. I know some coaches have their athletes run in the school hallways or basketball court when the track is not usable.
-I will hopefully be landing an “internship” of sorts this summer training some HS football guys from June 1-Aug 1. I’d like to know what program you guys would suggest? I have considered the 7 week hill workout in GPP essentials, but I worry there won’t be enough time for the guys to start showing progress (gotta impress the head coach, right??)

And any other input on long term planning and periodization would be appreciated.

How would we handled - what - are you we talking about track and field?

yea, but to some extent, as much overlap as possible.

for example, i have toyed with replacing tempo with half court basketball during the summer (to keep the bball coach happy)

Mon and Thu
Speed + Weights

Tue and Fri
Tempo + Med Ball
or Half court basketball

Sat
Hills

this is just an idea

Or maybe something like this:

Mon and Thu
Speed + Weights

Tue
Basketball

Wed
Tempo

Fri
Tempo

Why not let them focus on the sport that they are playing and focus on T/F from march-may?

Well, you’re right. The kids want to peak for Football and Basketball and for Track. Then they have the summer off.

Would you consider the summer just GPP? I guess thats how i’ve approached it. Just trying to gain speed and strength while 1-2x per week sport specific skill work

You are the coach - don’t let kids run your program - do what’s right. Not very smart to be doing speed/jumps while inseason for basketball/football.

my interest would be to help them be successful at any/all of their sports. we won’t be doing any extra jumps in-season. that was a summer program

ok - wish you and your athletes the best with that program…