gpp/spp strength training

below you can find the first and last weeks of my gpp and spp programs, all comments are welcome: all boxes are between 8-18in.

gpp:
Mon:
squats 3x12
row 3x12
bench 3x12
glut ham 3x12

Wed:
deadlift 3x8
pullup 3x12
dips 3x12

Fri:
squats 3x12
row 3x12
bench 3x12
glut ham 3x12

Mon:
squats 4x8
row 4x8
bench 4x8
glut ham 4x8

Wed:
deadlift 4x5
pullup 4x8
dips 4x8

Fri:
squats 4x8
row 4x8
bench 4x8
glut ham 4x8

spp:
Mon:
depth drop 2x5
squats/box jumps x3 4x3
glut ham/triple jump x1 3x5
pullup 3x5
cg 3X5

Thur:
depth drop 2x5
snatch dl/rocket jump x3 3x3
db 1 leg squat/stepup jump x3 2x5
row 3x5
db bench press 3x5

Mon:
jump squat 2x6x25
speed squats/box jumps x3 4x3x50
reactive gh/triple jump x1 3x20x25
bench 3x3
pullups 3x5

Thur:
depth jumps 2x5
squats/rocket jumps x3 3x3x80
rdl/stepup jump x3 3x5
row 3x5
db bench press 3x5

how are are your gpp and spp?

my weights start with 4x8reps (8weeks), then 5x5reps (16weeks), 4x6 (4weeks), 3x5 (12wks) then 3x3 (clean) 2x6 (squat) until the end of the season.

what do u mean how is my gpp and spp? why soo long with the same reps?

“how long” I was half asleep.

gpp 7-8wk
spp 12-13

Why are you deadlifting and squatting in the same week? Too much imo. Deadlift one week, squat the other. Deadlifting can also be dramatically increased from squatting - Westside Barbell powerlifters deadlift maybe once every 2-3 months, it’s all trained in their full squats.

bc im not a powerlifter, thats why im dl and squatting in the same week. i dont care what westside barbell does they probably dont have one guy who can run 11.8 in the 100m.

No but they do have numerous 600+ raw benchers, the equivilent to 10.2-10.5s 100m sprinters in terms of rarity. CNS works the same way regardless of what your sport is, and I’m just giving you my input. No reason to get snappy - if you didn’t want constructive criticism then you shouldn’t have posted - I’m not going to give you praise for something I think could be done better. Your routine other then that DOES look good - just that one aspect. Change them each week and I garuntee you’ll see better results.

also…no member of westside barbell has probably full squatted in a while…DL without going to the limit whit a large buffer…I don’t think it’s a problem…after all, 4x5 can be done at 85%, 70% 40%…anything!

When I say full I mean to hip joint - knee parallel. Whether you want to go lower is personal preference, I’m on the fence with that one. Different people, different ways.

Edit: Just saw your update. Yea I suppose if he wants to do really low percentages it would be alright, but why when you can drop them for that week and go higher on the squats? Next week you go high on deadlifts and eliminate squats. Your still getting everything in.

I agree on parallel…but at west side they do low bar ultrawide…a bit different than anyone squats

Only to recruit the hips for more power at such a heavy lift. Different technique but it’s still squatting!

not getting snappy. my weight loads are all based on my track work thats why u dont see any %'s. in gpp most people are not able to hit loads/speeds that they will be able to in spp so it shouldnt be a problem, have you seen cf gpp graphs hes doing squats twice a week an dl once a week. my program may not look good to you bc of your athletic background and style of training which is pl etc, there are folks who have told me the that the speed dl or dimel dl are useless and i should drop them its all based of your background and style of training you like.

I think I’ve seen a couple in the past yea. What percentages are you looking at for the squats/deadlifts specifically? I’ve been powerlifting for ages so I’m VERY cautious about load distribution. So easy to want to do more and then regret it next workout!

Edit: Too quick on the draw. Saw your edit - very true. Everyone differs!

understand this is gpp, so if i had to guess ill probably start around 50% and work up to about 70-75% tops for 8, nothing is set in stone bc after my track work i may be torch. what do u think about the dimel dl for sprinters?

IMO keep around 50-60% (absolute max) on the deadlifts if your going to do them. Not worth going higher because it could really interfere with your squats and your sprints especially.

As for the half/dimel dl’s - I agree with whoever gave you that opinion. I’m a big believer in full compounds so anything half done isn’t really worth it to me. Charlie’s half squats allow for a lot more load and therefore stimulus on the system but with the right weight routine you should be increasing your lifts even by 2 1/2 lbs every week anyways - works both ways, just quicker with halfs for Charlies method cause the bottom portion isn’t really needed. Still nice to have that power available though by lowering the load but still increasing every week (and therefore increasing stimulus in turn) Speed DL’s are fine if their being used in a max effort/speed training split but your not doing that so no reason to include them unless for recovery (<40%) or plyometric replacement, etc.

lol, i included the speed rdl in the program when i enter the power phase so im track with your last comment “Speed DL’s are fine if their being used in a max effort/speed training split but your not doing that so no reason to include them unless for recovery (<40%) or plyometric replacement”. the choice of lift doesnt matter it could speed rdl or reactive gh etc. cant tell you all i can say is the track work will set the tone for the strength work, so one workout may be 80% for the dl and the next workout may be 70

Yea definitely judge it by the sprints (obviously ;)) but just watch out. If you start to feel like your slowing I can almost garuntee dropping the deadlifts and leaving the squats will make a huge diff. Esentially vary your percentages accordingly. Weights are a great supplement tool but they can really give you a rough time if you try to do too much. Whatever you feel your body is capable of…just don’t go overboard! :slight_smile:

speeds is gpp arent high bc the body isnt capable of reaching high speed. the speed dl are done at 2-3x20x20-30%.

You know what I mean haha. If you feel your lagging :slight_smile:

That range is perfect. Now lower your dl’s to 50-60% max and I’ll be happy lol.