GPP Hills Gradient

I have a hill that is 5% gradient based on the forulma hieght/distance.

Is this steep enough to introduce high speed running as per DVD states, or would an alternative means such as sled pulls be a more appropiate method? If so what % of bodyweight on the sled would allow for proper acceleration mechanics without sacrificing speed?

Who says you need a hill or sled just do normal sprints.

In a S to L approach hills are used as a means to ensure good acceleration mechanics are being used without the need of technical correction according to CF’s GPP model. But also to introduce high speed running with minimised stress on hamstrings and to a certain extent the joints in the lower limb through a somewhat reduced ground reaction force

So… You don’t need hills for that - various start positions.

so how much is 5percent gradient again? about how much strides would 5percent grade make u take up 20m, if u take 13 strides over 20m on flat?

Jake- 5% is perfect. The materials I have say anything up to 7% grade for 30m.

RB34- Isn’t the point of hills to bring the ground up to the body, since those at lower strength and acceleration levels can’t keep the body angle low to the ground? I agree that they aren’t necessary but if one is available may as well take advantage of it.

so how much is 5percent gradient again? about how much strides would 5percent grade make u take up 20m, if u take 13 strides over 20m on flat?

5% Gradient is a 2m rise over 40m. Not sure on strides over 20m, But considering the short distance and small slope I would say you would take the same number of strides as on flat surfaces.

What would stride number affect?

Jake- 5% is perfect. The materials I have say anything up to 7% grade for 30m.

If the hill is on a concrete surface does that negate the benefits of the lower structural stress of hill sprints? Therefore maaking normal sprints a more appropiate means?

I’ve got access to a 100m grass hill that rises about 0.5m over 40m, it forces me to take 14.5-15 strides over 20m(i use 13 strides over 20m flat). I only takes sprints out to 60m max on this one. Then i use this steeper asphalt hill that makes me use 18 strides up it over 20m. This one i only sprint up for 30m max from 20m minimum.

be ccareful to monitor ur feet and the general well being feel of them when using the steeper hills. If ur used to practicin really feeling dorsiflexive movements during ur a skips and high knees while on the flats and very slight inclines, don’t try to do this on the steeper hills. This because the steepness of the hill makes u want to do the skipping and high knee fast, no time to try exaggerate and feel the dorsiflexion. And when doin the skips up the steeper start each drill off with 4or5 smaller grade school skips(for want of a better term) to get momentum and the forced quick proper contact occurring before transitioning to the more aggressive MVP style skips. I think those dudes and dudettes use use a jog run in tfrom the flat before their steep hill to get the momentum going.

RB, I don’t understand your aversion to hills. Why don’t you like them?