Do protein shakes work?

Geez - protein here in Australia is way way dearer than that… Damn…

I placed my order hrs ago.

The proteinfactory.com carries protein that is organic. They say they are the only ones. It’s a little pricey, but not much more than good regular protein. I try to eat nearly all organic, but I never get organic protein powder. How stupid is that? I need to start getting it. I think the more people that get it, the more common it’ll be sold.

Organic protein powder… good scam there.

Why? It comes from a cow doesn’t it? If you believe in organic meat (and I do) why would products coming from that cow not need to be organic? What is so hard to understand about that?

Please tell me exactly how whey protein concentrate or isolate are going to be different from an organic versus non-organic source. Simple as that.

I know it is pricey. The guys love the taste of orange cream. Tastes like a melted orange creamsicle as my best comparison. No one complains about it at all. For the extra $1 per serving or so, it’s worth it. Like I mentioned, I have seen a difference using it vs. not.

In the past, I have also used Cytofuse created by Clemson. Good taste, very thin, NCAA legal as well in terns of the proteins used.

Is there such a thing as inorganic meat? Is it silica based?:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s the same reasons with eating organic meat. If you don’t you get all the antibiotics and hormones that the cow gets. Most non-organic cows are stuck in an indoor pen their entire life and can’t even move (any direction). They live in their own filth and get extremely sick from that. Along with the food they are forced to eat. Foods that contain sawdust, cardboard and way too much corn and grain. All this causes extreme help issues of that cow. This cow goes to slaughter and then you eat that. It’s no different with protein powder. You get what that cow is/was. Organic cows are allowed to move and aren’t allowed to have antibiotics or hormones given to them. Grass feed cows eat what is natural to them, not corn, grains, and parts. Therefore, when you get protein as a byproduct from them, it’s much more friendly on your body. They say that we are what we eat. I think it’s that we are what they eat.

Do you understand the process of how WPC and WPI are made? Do you think there is anyway ‘hormones’ are making it through that process?

Most non-organic cows are stuck in an indoor pen their entire life and can’t even move (any direction). They live in their own filth and get extremely sick from that. Along with the food they are forced to eat. Foods that contain sawdust, cardboard and way too much corn and grain. All this causes extreme help issues of that cow. This cow goes to slaughter and then you eat that. It’s no different with protein powder. You get what that cow is/was. Organic cows are allowed to move and aren’t allowed to have antibiotics or hormones given to them. Grass feed cows eat what is natural to them, not corn, grains, and parts. Therefore, when you get protein as a byproduct from them, it’s much more friendly on your body. They say that we are what we eat. I think it’s that we are what they eat.

This doesn’t tell me one legitimate thing about how WPC and WPI are different between an organic versus non-organic source.

Do you think that the molecules that make up whey protein are somehow different between ‘organic’ and non-organic sources? If you are getting WPI, what else is there exactly in the powder?

The information is out there, it’s not my or anyone else’s job to try to convince you what to eat or drink. Just trying to help. Do what ever you choose. It’s your life.

I know the information is out there… and it doesn’t support your statements, at all. I am trying to save people from wasting a good amount of money.

You’ve only been on this board for three weeks and you are already picking fights. You’re going to be a great addition.

So are you also saying that it eating organic is a scam as well?

How am I picking fights? Thanks for the neg reps, by the way, Kaz.

No, eating organic is not entirely a scam, though many aspects of it is. First, look at the regulations of what is needed to be considered “organic” in the first place and what that even means. Next, let’s look at the science behind organic versus non-organic protein powder and see if the molecules of WPC and WPI, that are extracted in the first place, are somehow different between the two. If they are, why? What is going on with those?

To sum it up, it is a scam made to make people’s wallet’s lighter.

Oh and when you left the comment when adding your rep, you made a few typos. Might want to watch that next time.

For the past three months I have taken ZERO supps (vits, protein shakes etc), the last three days I have been taking protein/vit supp and have already notice a major increase in my recovery/workout performance.

Goodluck,

You are an internet lurker. If you keep getting banned from boards, why keep coming back? Are you not getting the hint? You’ve been banned from this board before right? Along with at least two other boards that I know of.

When unable to answer questions or support reasoning, make ad hominems.

You weren’t involved in either of those places either…

Get ready to say good by again Davan!

p.s. You never once stated anything “scientific” as to why organic is a scam. You ripped me for saying I was full of it, but you never defended your stance.

Speendurance.com: What is the best protein recovery drink for sprinters who have to wait 1-2 hours until they got home from practice to eat a solid home cooked meal? There are a lot of opinions out there, ranging from no carbs (Phil Campbell), 1:1 protein:carb ratio, 1:2 (John Berardi), or even 1:4 (Jacqueline Berning). The ultimate goal is proper recovery and performance.

Lyle McDonald: A lot of it would of course depend on the nature of the workout, low volume speed work is going to be different from more extensive types of training. But, as a whole it’s pretty clear that sprint and power athletes don’t usually burn nearly the calories or carbs that endurance athletes; unfortunately a lot of people tend to take carbohydrate recommendations from research following exhaustive endurance training and apply them uncritically to sprint/power athletes. But let’s be realistic, a short sprinter doing block starts is going maybe 3 seconds, 60m runs is 6 seconds. Even a SE run of 300m is maybe 30 seconds. Where is the glycogen depletion coming from, how many carbs are really being burned. The answer is not very many. Not none mind you, but certainly not many.

At the same time, the research is really abundantly clear that the combination of carbs and protein is superior (for a variety of reasons) to either alone. I don’t think protein only post-workout is ideal.

My own recommendations in The Protein Book range from about 1:1 to perhaps 3:1 (I recommend 0.3-0.5 g/kg protein and anywhere from 0.3-1.5 g/kg of carbs following training) but that’s because those were recommendations for power athletes as a whole and that covers a lot of ground; power athletes can train very very differently depending on the sport. Even within sprinting, there can be differences in what they need depending on the specifics of their training.

For example, a sprint athlete who is doing more hypertrophy work in the gym (in an accumulation or prep phase) is going to have different requirements than one working primarily on short sprints (or doing more neural work in the weight room) and not much else. The same would go for different distances of sprinting, a 400/800m guy (and I realize that may be stretching the definition of sprinting a bit) typically engages in more extensive work than a 100/200 m guy. The 400/800m guy may be towards the higher end of my range than the 100/200m.

But, in my opinion, 4:1 is probably excessive and no carbs at all is going to the other end extreme. Somewhere between those two extremes, depending on the situation should be the sweet spot.

>> Click here for the ultimate book on protein intake for all strength, power and endurance athletes

Speedendurance.com: Some coaches tell their sprinters not to each too much carbs the night before a race, as the theory is 1 gram of carbohydrates requires 2 grams of water to store as glycogen. The end result may make the athlete feel “bloated”. For an endurance athlete, carbs are a great fuel source and the stored water is an extra bonus. What are your thoughts on this for sprinters?

Lyle: I think the coaches are mostly right in this case, certainly in the case of sprinting. Glycogen levels shouldn’t ever be limiting for a sprinter, the glycogen depletion just isn’t there. Even a 400m guy who has to run heats shouldn’t run into problems unless he’s on a zero carb diet the entire week before. Basal glycogen levels should be plenty to get through any competition I can think of and the stiffness and extra weight gain that occurs with carb-loading is as likely to hurt performance as anything else.

However, for endurance athletes it can be a bit more complicated depending on the sport, the specifics of the event and the distance involved. All of this goes into determining whether any benefit from hyper-hydration and carb loading outweighs the potential negatives of carrying extra weight. Some of the considerations work looking at appear below:

For something like cycling and things of that ilk where body weight is supported, gains in body weight are probably cancelled out by not bonking and going into it more hydrated should help. This might not hold for events where there is a lot of climbing involved (where even small gains in weight make a huge difference in energy cost); as well cyclists usually don’t have major problems eating during their event so in that situation (a race with a lot of vertical ascent), coming in a bit lighter but maintaining glycogen stores by proper on-bike feeding might be the superior strategy compared to carb-loading and having to carry several extra pounds up the mountain. Fluids can be consumed easily on-bike as well. For a flatter race or longer time-trial, where hills aren’t an issue and eating might be more problematic (since there isn’t any time to rest and refuel), glycogen loading might be superior. Again, it also depends on the length of the event. A 10 km time trial is over long-before carbs become limiting, a 40 km time trial is right about an hour.

For running where the entire body is being propelled against gravity, the extra weight gain might be a hindrance. This has to be weighed against the length of the event. Normal glycogen stores can get an endurance athlete through a good 60 minutes of competition even up to maybe 90 minutes, especially if they can consume even small amounts of carbs and fluids during training. When you get to events like the marathon, that’s where things become problematic. The best marathon time is about 2 hours and that’s beyond normal glycogen stores can support. Compared to cycling (where eating on the bike is usually easily accomplished) eating and drinking during a run can be more difficult, some runners get stomach upset from food/liquid jostling in their gut and a contrary researcher named Tim Noakes has argued that better runners drink less, allowing them to compensate for fatigue during the event with a reduced body weight towards the end; clearly this should be tested in training if it’s even considered as a viable strategy. For slower runners, glycogen loading should probably be mandatory although, I’d note, their slower pace should make it easier for them to eat and drink.

I imagine other sports have similar issues to consider, I don’t honestly know enough about cross-country skiing to comment competently on it but most swimming events are short enough that I doubt glycogen loading would help; but since body weight is supported, I don’t know how much a slight weight gain would hurt (unless it hurts aquadynamics).