deep vs 1/2 squats

I know that this issue has been up before, but I`m not sure wich one that really are the best deep or 1/2 squats?
And if your doing deep, should you continue with deep even during competition-phase or then move over to faster 1/2:s? :afro:

There has been an unfounded belief that deep squats are damaging to the knees. Recent research suggests however that deep squats may be effective in strengthening knee ligaments. Deep squats allow a greater range for bar deceleration which again reduces articular stress.

THe hip angle is greatest at parallel and in conjunction with the greater loads (that the partial variation permit) this significantly increases the risk of lumbar injuries. Deep squats also cause higher activation of hamstring and gluteal muscle groups.

My feelings are that parial squats lead to ‘fractional’ squats as athletes decrease the ROM in order to prematurely increase loads. Going through the full range of movement removes this problem and increases athletes’ confidence under heavy loads.

Deep squatting does however require a degree of flexibility and appropriate footwear.

1 Like

my old coach swore by full squats.its the bouncing at the bottom that can cause the problems in the knee area.don’t jerk at the bottom,pause then accelerate the bar

Agreed, avoid that bouncing at the bottom, especially if you are lifting heavy.

The only times I have experienced knee pain during squats have been on the few occasions that I squatted to only 1/3 to 1/2 depth. I believe that the joint itself takes on more of the load and strain when you don’t squat lower.

Ok, but what about during competition-phase, should you still do deep then?
I read Ato did deep squats, but i don`t know if that was all year… :afro:

Originally posted by Pioneer
The only times I have experienced knee pain during squats have been on the few occasions that I squatted to only 1/3 to 1/2 depth. I believe that the joint itself takes on more of the load and strain when you don’t squat lower.

Five years ago I was squatting 270 kg to 90 degrees (angle at knee) at 70kg bodyweight. My knees hurt all the time, my back hurt all the time, and I ran no faster. Now I squat deep, the poundages are halved in comparison with then, and my knees and back feel fine - most of the time anyway :slight_smile: - and I run a second faster over the 100m.

1 Like

Mohikan,

I have heard previously that the Cubans full squatted during their preperation phases and used half squats during peaking phases. I do not, unfortunately, have a source.

Reducing the depth of the squat approaching a peak meet has been alluded to by Charlie, who stated that Ben squatted up to 6 days of a peak meet but used a lesser ROM. This provided the stimulus without invoking unneccesary fatigue.

Perhaps forum members can share their protocols & experiences for squatting, approaching big meets. What about dropping the movement altogether in favour of OL movements?

I think Ben did quarters because of an injury before Seoul

Originally posted by chris30
I think Ben did quarters because of an injury before Seoul

It was not because of injury, gf_200 has the reason right. Charlie talked about this before somewhere.

I thought he normally did half squats but had to go to 1/4s before the Olympics. Could be mistaken though

Chris,

the reasons for Ben reducing depth are, I believe, are as above not due to injury. Charlie may correct me but that is my understanding.

How long before the peak should you start 1/2s? And do some go with deep even during peaks? What are the diffirent benefits deep vs 1/2s? Is deep better for develop accelerations?

Originally posted by snelkracht

[quote]Five years ago I was squatting 270 kg to 90 degrees (angle at knee) at 70kg bodyweight. My knees hurt all the time, my back hurt all the time, and I ran no faster. Now I squat deep, the poundages are halved in comparison with then, and my knees and back feel fine - most of the time anyway :slight_smile: - and I run a second faster over the 100m.

Good post. Its all about correct recruitment. You can lift heavy weights with all the wrong muscles doing the work but the weight still goes up and you’ll get your weightlifting trophy. For it to help your sprinting everything needs to be firing properly and in balance.

If someone has been doing half squats, how should this change to a deep squat occur? … and what if they flexibility is not good enough for a proper deep squat?

bLiNk_mE

First learn to squat deep with a stripped bar. When your technique is good add weight, and keep inceasing weight when you are happy with your technique at each new level. The calves, glutes and adductors are the most likely muscles to be tight when in the deep position. It is important the calves are long enough to prevent the heels lifting in the deep position, so if they are tight stretch them. Until the calves are long enough, thin wedges can be placed under the heels. I find that tight glutes and adductors in the bottom position do not alter my technique. You may feel yours need stretching.

Calf felxibility is my biggest problem when deep squating

Originally posted by bLiNk_mE
If someone has been doing half squats, how should this change to a deep squat occur? … and what if they flexibility is not good enough for a proper deep squat?

Last season I got carried away trying to squat a pb each week. Half way through the season I realised that my squat depth was suffering so I halved the weight and increased the squat depth. I got sore knees straight away, because my body wasn’t use to the range of motion. Keep the weights low and increase your depth as your flexibility increases, it is working for me (slowly).

How do you guys feel about box squats? Are they sprinter appropriate?
132 lbs box squated 335 x 3

I can’t see a problem with them if the box is touched lightly and the upwards movement begun. They actually keep the movement range consistent which may allow for more acurate comparison between sessions. Just find a box that allows you to squat to the desired distance. Any comments?