Dave Hunt - Peaking Schedule for Sprints & Hurdles

Peaking Schedule for Sprinters and Hurdlers

A highly successful peaking schedule for elite hurdlers and sprinters.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○

On page 77 is the taper I use for sprinters and hurdlers to prepare for championship competitions. It’s based on Charlie Francis’ program for elite athletes. (Within a drug
free setting!) This 10-day taper is the same peaking schedule I have used with OFSAA Level (Ontario High School) athletes, Canadian University Athletes and those who have competed for Canada at the World Championships and Olympic Games.

If your athletes have done the work and you want them to be bang-on when the big day hits, try this program. It may take a few tries to understand your athletes’ body and mind, but it has worked with some success for my group.

Be Flexible

Keep in mind that we often modify our workouts based on feeling, visual observation and instinct. For instance, I am constantly monitoring each individual athlete for signs of fatigue. A great indicator is the sound of their feet contacting the
track. I want to hear short crisp steps during any speed work, or I shut them down and move them into tempo or a cool down. As athletes try to peak, it’s important for both the coach and athlete to communicate openly about how the athlete feels and to constantly modify the program based on this interaction. It’s an amazing thing to see athletes hit their peak.

A Few Tips

1. Allow for a great deal of modification in each workout. At this point, less, at high quality, is far more important than quantity.

2. Listen to your athletes. If they feel great, send them Tricks of the Trade for the Hurdles Page 77
    home with a confident smile leaving something in the “tank” for the next day. More work is not necessary at this point.

3. Rest and regeneration are vital for optimal performance. If the athletes seem frustrated and tired, now is the time to give them a day off from the track. Even if they are feeling well, it’s not a bad idea to reward their hard work with some R&R.

4. Stay away from new training stimuli and certainly avoid making technical changes. Where they are in training, is where they will be on race
    day.

5. During a successful taper I find the athletes are going to really want to let loose at practice. Prepare to pull back on the reins, while letting them enjoy these last 10 days of relaxed high quality workouts.

Dave Hunt,
Contributor

Dave Hunt is the University of Toronto sprints, hurdles and relays coach. He has been a coach with the Canadian National Team at the Pan- American Games and World Student Games and was a member of the Canadian Team Support Staff at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney,
Australia .

MONDAY (Day 1)

1. Speed Drills 1
    (Accelerations, stick
    drills, assisted
    sprinting etc).
  2. Speed/Acceleration
    From Blocks (see
    below):
    • Sprinters: 4 x 40m
    • Hurdlers: 4 x 3H
    Full blast, 2-3min
    recovery.
    e c n a r u d n E d e e p S . 3•
    Sprinters: 1 x 80m,
    m 0 5 1 , m 0 2 1 , m 0 0 1•
    Hurdlers: 1 x 6H,
    8H, 8H + 30m, 8H +
    50m (run 8 hurdles,
    then keep sprinting
    for an extra 50m)
    • @ 100%, Full
    Recovery of 10-12
    min between reps.
  3. Strength 2 & 3
    Circuit: Medball
    exercises and Running
    A’s.

TUESDAY

1. Power Speed 3
    • 3 x 20m of A’s,
    B’s, C’s (March, Skip,
    Run).
  2. Weights 4
    • 3 x 8 reps of 5
    exercises.
  3. Tempo Running
    • 8 x 200m on grass
    @ 60-80% of
    maximum
    2-3 minute recovery.
  4. Abdominal Work
    Might include Pilates
    circuit on Big Balls—
    or other routine to
    maintain abdominal
    strength.

WEDNESDAY

Regeneration
Pool running
or
light tempo
running
to aid in
regeneration.

THURSDAY

1. Speed/Acceleration
    From Blocks (see
    : ) w o l e b•
    Sprinters: 4 x 40m
    • Hurdlers: 2-3 x
    2-3H
    @ 100%, 2-3min
    recovery.
    e c n a r u d n E d e e p S . 2•
    Sprinters: 2 x 80m
    • Hurdlers: 1-2 x 6H
    @ 100%, 12-15min
    recovery.
  2. Special Endurance
    2 x 150m @ 95-100%
    (15-20min rest).
  3. Abdominal Work
    Might include Pilates
    circuit on Big Balls—
    or other routine to
    maintain abdominal
    strength.

FRIDAY

1. Strength 4
    Weights: 2 x 10 reps
    of 4 exercises.
  2. Tempo Running
    • 8 x 100m on grass
    @ 60-80% of
    maximum.
    2-3 min recovery.
    Feel Great!

SATURDAY

1. Special Strength
    • 3 x 4 hurdles hops.
  2. Speed Drills 1
    (Accelerations, stick
    drills, assisted
    sprinting etc).
  3. Speed/Acceleration
    From Blocks (see
    : ) w o l e b•
    Sprinters: 4 x 25m
    • Hurdlers: 4 x 2-3H
    @ 100%, 2-3min
    recovery.
  4. Speed Endurance
    Sprinters: 1-2 x 80m,
    120m.
    Hurdlers: 1 x 6H +
    30m, 8h + 30m
    @ 100%, 20min rest
    between reps.

SUNDAY

REST

MONDAY

1. Power Speed 3
    4 x 20m A’s, B’s, C’s
  2. Weights 4
    • 2-3 sets of 8 reps
    —light and fast.
  3. Tempo
    • 4-6 x 150m on grass
    @ 60-80% of
    maximum
    2-3 min recovery.

TUESDAY

1. Speed Drills 1
    (Accelerations, stick
    drills, assisted
    sprinting etc).
  2. Speed/Acceleration
    From Blocks (see
    below):
    • Sprinters: 2-3 x
    40m
    • Hurdlers: 3 x 3H
    @ 100%, 2-3min
    recovery.
  3. Tempo
    • 6 x 100m on grass
    @ 60-80% of
    maximum,
    2-3 min recovery.
  4. Abdominal Work
    As in Day 2.

WEDNESDAY

REST
Travel To
Championship
Light
warmup
at the track.
Feel
Fantastic!

THURSDAY

CHAMPIONSHIP
DAY 1

FRIDAY

CHAMPIONSHIP
DAY 2

SATURDAY

CHAMPIONSHIP
DAY 3

Adapted
from
Charlie
Francis by
Dave Hunt

1. Speed Drills include: 2-3 x 10-15m of Speed Dynamics drills, A’s, B’s, C’s performed as Single-Leg Claw-Back Drills (Step over ankles). [See PE Digest, Winter’94]. Single-Leg, Double-Leg, Tripling, Left Left Right Right, Alternate, Full Claws (Step over knees).

2. Medball exercises include 1-2 sets of 3-5 exercises for each of the following muscle groups. Select from: 1. Upper Body: 15-30 reps of alternate hand pushups; bench-ups; close hands; chest passes; triceps passes; shot puts; etc. 2. Abs: 30-60 reps (doubled) of chinnies; twist gives; twist and throws; catch, twist and throws; rowing; curl and chest passes; curl and triceps passes; etc. 3. Back and Butt: 15-30 reps of low back passes; side-leg throws; butt raises on ball; side situps, etc. 4. Hamstrings: 15-30 reps of partner hamstring curls; bench butt raises; backward kicks or throws; straight leg bounds; etc. 5. Quads: 15-30 reps of front straight kicks; side straight kicks; step lunges; squats, step-ups; good mornings; V steps; V jumps, etc.6. Ankles: 15-30 reps of A’s, B’s, calf raises, alternate leg jumps, ankle only hops, etc.

3. Definition of “A’s,” “B’s” and “C’s”: A’s = High knee marching, skipping, running; B’s = High knees with extension of lower leg; C’s = “B’s” with one leg, hurdle trail leg action with the other leg.

4. Strength exercises vary with each programme, but this time of the season typically consist of the following exercises: squats, hamstring curls, power cleans, pull-downs and bench press.

Very interesting adaptation and application of Charlies work.
Who had Dave Hunt coached?

University of Toronto… need I say more?

Why does Charlie’s work need to be adapted?

I only had a quick read of the post by Sev, when I got to the part “speed dynamics drills” I stopped reading. I believe Charlie was a supporter of Gerald Mach drills(probably spelt wrong). I am sure someone will correct me for being wrong, when you do please refer me to something that backs your argument.

Yes - I agree. The references to “stick drills” and “assisted sprinting” have no business being within a 10 mile radius of anything Charlie has developed.

I understand…that’s why I used “adapted”…because I see some elements, but also there are others…btw, in the schedule there is the assisted sprint optionn, but in the list of speed drills, there isn’t.
I’m not canadian, so I’m not aware of any results from sprinters at Toronto Univ in 2000 or so.
I’ve used Charlie’s taper plan as scheduled, but also used a slight variation, because I found very good feelings and results using stimulating weights the day or 2 before the race (heavy 1/4 squats and BP).
So I kept the basic philosophy, but made some adjustments.
No stick drills or assisted running btw:)