Charlie's Speed Program

also, i am fell like im pretty informed about training, for track. but i dont know things like how heavy a med ball i should use, how fast i should run the tempo, and how long to run tempo e.g. yards, how long to rest in between tempo sets. Also, another one of my goals is to run the 100m under 11 seconds this year, im probably between 11.4 and 11.7 as of now. and whats gs circuit

You can do you tempo like this. i.e. on indoor track run straights 70% jog curves for 10 to 15 mins. See my problem in high school was lack of speed endurance. But hey 7.16 isnt all that bad for a soph. jsut keep improving on your speed training and speed endurance i.e. 15sec. or more.

cf said tempo is like “chicken soup” its no big deal can be anything pool work, circuits, tread workouts etc etc.

i ran the 7.12 as a fresh. thanks for your advice. we dont practice indoors we just compete indoors, so how would i do that on an outdoor track.

What is the purpose of tempo? Speed endurance and cns recovery?

recovery and work capacity- so do it.

no need to really change it… run the straights at 70% of speed, not effort, and walk/jog curves. Easy as.
and or 10 x 200’s at said pace above, walk 200 for recoveys (approx 3min)

easy med balls and great for upperbody tempo

Also, plan your hard weights days on and after speed workouts. (same day)

whats a “gs circuit”

General Strength Circuit. Select a certain number of exercises, perform them in circuit fashion with a certain rest interval, number of times, etc. You can get creative with these.

what should i do for a premeet.

Today my trainer made me do bench with 135(my max is 300) and made me do reps at a fast, steady pace for 30 seconds for 3 sets, then we repeated that template for squat and deadlift, both with roughly 40 percent of my max. my question is will this type of training make me slower or is it beneficial for speed training.

that is questionable.

A very BAD idea.

wow, hope u not paying him to coach, give him the boot.

what is such a bad idea about that

first of all ur not getting nothing from it loads are too light and time under tension too long. second why would u do squat and dl before a meet? i could see if he had u doing hang snatch 5x2x80%, bp 2x1x85%.

i didnt really agree with it either, but would it be bad if i did say 50 percent of my max for 8x2 as fast as i could, or should all lifting be heavy, and save any form of speed work for the track. Oh, and by the way, this isnt for premeet or anything, i dont have a meet for several weeks

That’s kinda what I might do 8x2 50% (maybe 4x2) but I’d do it on a box and prob not the day right before the meet. But that option is alot better than what he has you doing.

wow, very touchy subject i have done both. 8x2x50 is alot diff from 3x30sec at 40%

none if this was premeet, i think that was a misunderstanding. Is what you guys are saying that this type of training should never be done

why would u use a box?