CF Strength Training Resume

Strength Training for Sprinters
Exercise Selection

Power = Force x Velocity

Since the velocity (‘rate of force development’) component is developed through sprint training itself, priority in the gym is to develop maximum force. This is best achieved through the use of ‘limit’ strength exercises. A limit strength exercise is defined as a compound exercise that safely permits the expression of maximum force. The exercises should be free weight, multi-joint and specific to muscles used in sprinting (e.g. hip, knee and ankle extensors). These types of exercise also stimulate an acute increase in the secretion of anabolic hormones (testosterone and growth hormone).

Squat

Please also see separate article: Squatting and the implications of technique on muscle function

The squat has been described as the King of Exercises - it should certainly be the principle exercise for the majority of sprinters. The primary muscles it activates are the ankle, knee, hip and spinal extensors. Sprinting actually involves little knee and hip flexion therefore intuitively partial squats would appear more specific. Flexibility permitting however, I advocate full Olympic style back squats over partial variations for the following reasons:

· Greater range of motion at hip hence greater activation (and time under tension) of hip extensors
· Greater range of movement around ankle hence greater activation of ankle extensors
· Hip inclination is greatest at parallel position; Greater loads are possible with partial variations therefore risk of lumbar injury is significantly increased
· Progression is more easily quantified. With partial squats (without box) tendency is to increase load at the expense of movement range, i.e. half squats become quarter squats!
· Improve confidence under heavy loads
· Quarter squats can place a significant strain on the muscle tendon unit at the front of the knee
· Although ground contact in top speed sprinting occurs near to full hip extension, during early acceleration hip (and knee) angles are significantly more acute. Additionally, the leg must be extended rapidly from a 90 degree+ angle during recovery.

Front Squats

The tendency during a back squat is to increase hip flexion at the sticking point in order to shorten the moment arm at the knee. Front squats however limit torso inclination and the quadriceps are therefore a more significant limiting factor. Since the torso stays upright during the eccentric phase of a back squat you might consider them a mode of eccentric loading for the quadriceps.

The moment arm of the load at the hip is greater during the front squat and hence maximums are significantly less than for back squats. Front squats could therefore be used for variety and to reduce CNS. Front squats may be considered a safer exercise than the back version since the bar may be dropped forwards if too heavy.

Front squats do however require a degree of flexibility in the elbow joints and many athletes find it uncomfortable to have the bar on the front of the shoulders

Bench Press/ Military Press

The bench press (BP) is an exercise used by practically all elite sprinters. The primary muscles activated are the pectorals, triceps and anterior deltoids. Although all the practical evidence suggests otherwise, I feel that the BP may add significant none functional mass which may actually reduce an athlete’s power to weight ratio. The pectorals primarily act to horizontally adduct the arm and this is not a movement that occurs in sprinting. The BP is also the premier ‘ego’ lift and hence there is often a tendency to over emphasise its’ importance. This may reduce adaptation energy available for other more specific training parameters.

Certainly, the anterior deltoids and triceps are activated during the arm drive to flex and extend the arms respectively. The standing military press may however be a safer (the neck is not between the bar and floor!) and more specific pressing movement. It strengthens the anterior and lateral (due to greater ROM) deltoids and triceps but not the pectorals therefore none functional mass can be avoided. Unlike the BP, which is performed in a supine position, the MP requires ‘core’ stabilisation. Finally, since maximum possible loads are less CNS stress is also reduced.

Deadlift

The deadlift activates many of the same muscle groups as the squat i.e. Knee and hip extensors in addition to grip and upper back muscles. The deadlift is however a less popular choice for sprinters. Reasons for this include:

· Smaller range of movement
· Difficulty in safely performing the eccentric portion of the lift with heavy loads which reduces time under tension and removes an important stimulus for increases in strength
· Heavy CNS fatigue of lifting close to maximum: the greatest of any exercise. Detracts from subsequent training sessions

Snatch Deadlift

Snatch DLs increase the range of movement due to lower starting position. This mechanical disadvantage also reduces maximum loads and hence CNS stress at any percentage of maximum.

Straight Leg Deadlifts

SLDLs specifically target the hamstring muscle group. They are not regarded as a true limit exercise since approaching maximum has a high risk of injury. Flexion of the lumbar spine under load causes the load to be transferred from the spinal erectors to the connective ligaments in the spinal column. If this exercise is used the range should be restricted to that in which the athlete can maintain a ‘neutral’ position in the lower back.

Olympic Lifts

Olympic lifts (OLs) and their derivatives are not limit exercises because of the ‘Explosive Strength Deficit’, i.e. maximum force can only be produced at slow velocities. The power clean is however an extremely popular exercise for all athletes in power sports. Loads, for technically proficient lifters may be sufficiently close to the maximum pull (read deadlift) to elicit improvements in maximum force. Loads in the snatch and power snatch however will have limited effect on maximum force in experience athletes. Snatch and its derivatives would be primarily used to develop rate of force development (a quality adequately and specifically achieved through sprinting itself).

OLs permit compensatory acceleration, i.e. the load can accelerate though the outer range. This is not safely possible with most limit strength exercises because it may cause the joints to hyperextend and control of the load to be lost. In the squat for example, the load may ‘jump’ from the shoulders. OLs are whole body exercises and therefore a very efficient use of training time. They may provide sufficient stimulus for the upper body to preclude pressing and pulling movements (see Bench Press)

The Olympic lifts require a high level of technical proficiency before strength can be safely expressed. For this reason some coaches may feel that the time required to master OL technique may be better spent on developing strength in more basic compound exercises.

Core Exercises

These are exercises for postural muscles that allow efficient transmission of force from the lower to the upper body:

· Spinal Erectors: Hyper –extension, Glut-Ham raise, Front Support
· Abdominal (Spinal Flexors): Crunch, Cable Crunch, Sit-up, Incline Sit-up, ‘Woodchopper’, Pillar, Leg raise, Pikes etc
· Obliques: Side bends, Side Supports, Side Hyper-extensions

Many of the core exercises discussed previously (e.g. squats and pulls) require high activation of the so-called ‘core’ muscles in order to stabilize the spine. It has been argued therefore that additional specific exercises (particularly for the spinal erectors) may be unnecessary.

Core exercises with Swiss balls have become popular in recent years. Lack of stabilisation however, reduces maximum activation in the prime movers therefore, until research suggests otherwise, I will continue to advocate these more traditional exercises.

[b]Other exercise modes

Plyometrics (SSC)[/b]

Plyometrics are used to reduce Golgi Tendon inhibition, maximise the Myostatic reflex and increase RFD. I contend that plyometrics for sprinters is unnecessary for the following reasons:

· Sprinting itself is plyometric (and develops RFD)
· Ground contact in sprinting is less than 0.1s for elite performers at top speed. Most jumps/hops have significantly greater GC
· High injury risk especially at muscle tendon juncture
· Olympic lifts have a plyometric component (the double knee bend)
· Without use of (expensive) technical equipment such as jump mats progression is difficult to quantify

If performed foot contacts should not exceed 40 per session.

Medicine ball (overhead) throws

· Increased ‘Rate of Force Development’ (RFD)
· Increased intermuscular coordination
· Quantifiable, i.e. distance/height thrown
· Low CNS stress therefore may be used during competitive period (when strength workouts frequency is reduced)
· May be used in low volume prior to track sessions to ‘prime’ nervous system

The snatch from hang may offer unique benefits for power athletes. By performing the movement with prior flexion of the hip, a stretch shortening cycle can be induced in the hip extensors. This movement mirrors in many ways that used for overhead medicine ball throws.

Repetitions

Please see separate article: Optimum Repetition selection

Predominantly <6 reps for core exercises (<3 for Olympic lift derivatives). Reasons:

· Reduces deterioration in technique and hence risk of injury
· Maximises transition of type IIa to type IIb fibres (fast to faster)
· Minimises non-functional hypertrophy and maximises power to weight ratio
· Maximises improvements in motor control hence reducing Golgi Tendon Organ and antagonist inhibition
· Reduces variations in rest between reps hence permitting more accurate analysis of progression
· Narrow repetition range removes ‘conditioning’ risk (muscle soreness) of moving from high to low repetitions or visa-versa

[b]Intensity

Please see separate articles:
· Buffering – A Method of Selecting Training Intensity
· High Intensity Overtraining[/b]

Macrocycles are 4 or 6 weeks long to reduce staleness and ensure the athlete is never too far from any training stimulus. If cycles are longer for example, benefits of early higher volumes may be lost.

E.g.

1. Unloading (introductory) week: Low intensity to allow recovery and supercompensation from preceding impact week
  2. (&3) Core weeks: Moderate intensity & volume
  3. Impact week: High intensity lower volume. Repetitions maximums tested (improvements require percentages to be adjusted)

Typically intensity should be less than for pure strength exercises (e.g. weightlifters, throwers) since adaptation energy is limited and priority must be given to track performance.

Periodisation

I do not advocate the traditional preparatory period of high reps because this effectively causes adaptation in a non specific quality: strength endurance, and detraining in the specific qualities: max strength and power. When the second phase of training begins the athlete must adapt to a very different training stimulus and is exposed to a second conditioning risk. Time must then be spent reattaining the level of performance present before the ‘preparatory’ phase! Constant training and detraining stretches the (limited) adaptation capacity of the athlete and may limit progress in other training components (e.g. track work). Finally any improvement in strength endurance or muscle gain will be quickly lost unless higher repetition work is continued (in which case optimum strength improvements will probably not be possible).

V. Basic Example of how volume, intensity & density could be manipulated during various phases:

Preparation 1 8x3r off 90s with 15%-10% buffer in core weeks
Preparation 2 6x3r off 180s with 10%-5% buffer
Competition 3x3r off 180s with 15%-10% buffer

Volume and density decrease with each successive period. Buffer is low during first preparation period to permit high density and also low during competition period to maintain strength with minimal CNS stress…

[b]Issues / Discussion points

General Vs Specific programmes[/b]

· I define a strength exercise as one that permits a maximal expression of strength
· ‘Specific’ exercises (e.g. single leg squats) reduce stability hence inhibiting the expression of strength

Accommodated resistance

E.g. Bands & Chains

· Increases resistance in outer range where muscle length-tension relationship and mechanical advantage make movement easier
· Increases eccentric stress
· Provides greater stress to ‘core’
· Reduces tendency to just ‘do enough’ once through the sticking point and encourages athlete to (attempt) to accelerate bar through entire range

· However, sprinting requires an increase in acceleration as joints extend therefore isokinetic exercise may not be specific.

Optimal Strength: When is an athlete too strong?

· When increases in strength fail to yield improvements on the track
· When strength increases are only achieved through an increase in body weight and hence do not increase power to weight ratio
· When training frequency required to yield a strength increase reduces recovery from track sessions

· If an athlete is too strong it might be a rare situation that warrants increased specificity in exercise selection, e.g. lunges/step ups rather than squats

Exercise Variety

‘If an exercise is worth doing, it is worth doing all the time’

· Introducing new exercises exposes athlete to a conditioning risk
· Any training benefit gained will be quickly lost if not maintained
· Small changes in performance, (e.g. incline rather than flat bench) provide variation without associated conditioning/detraining risks

Thanks David. Looks like a great “article”. I will read more on it later. Very nice :smiley:

Nice article David! One minor quibble…my understanding is that velocity (in the power = force x velocity equation) is not the same as RFD. That is, RFD can contribute to greater velocity, but it can also be demonstrated statically (or near statically) A good example would be in the initial pull off the ground for a clean. There is a space of time between when you start to apply force and when the force is great enough to cause the bar to move. The greater the RFD, the shorter this time would be. This is worth thinking about in terms of a sprinter’s start.

I always hear that the deadlift causes the highest amount of CNS stress, especially from Louie Simmons and the Westside crew, and now David mentions it. Can anyone point me to where that particular piece of information came from?

SS

I think it’s from Zatsiorsky (1995) Science and Practice of Strength Training. Discussion of maximal effort method.

Hi David,

Great article, I awarded you 20 reputation points*.

Awesome work…thanks for sharing.

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com

We will award more than a single reputation point for posts that stand out from the rest. David’s article/post is one such example of what we want to see here.

I agree with Rupert and have awarded him 1 reputation point for his post! :stuck_out_tongue: sorry couldn’t resist!

:slight_smile: Outstanding article David!! :slight_smile: I just have 1 question. Where can we find the articles that you refer us to in your post? Are they on this site of do we have to search for them on the internet?

David great article.

Read once and will need to re-read.

One question though.

You advocate full squats, which I agree. My problem is though I can do free standing full squats, but as soon as I put a bar on back I can’t.

My guess it is a flexibility and lower back strength issue. I go to parallel ±.

I am pretty certain everybody appreciates your articles and giving them freely :slight_smile:

Fantastic stuff!

excellent, much appreciated

Prophet - All the other articles are on this web site. I think two of them appear on the ‘Questioning Poliquin’ thread.

Rupert - would still really like to have an articles page for easy access (and to motivate me to keep writing)

Good info!

I have a question though. You mention that regular deadlifts promote greater CNS fatigue levels that snatch grip deads help overcome due to the reduced weight used. The other benefit you mention concerning snatch grip deads is the ROM increases possible over the standard deads.

I am wondering why this could not apply to front squats as well?

I have found that heavy back squats in combination with sprint training have been too much for me. They take too long to recover from to be able to sprint train 6 days a week.

Front squats have allowed me to train my legs with very strict technique with less load and it takes less of a hit on my CNS.

I am able to train them much more frequently and they compliment my workouts very well. (I can get 2 more leg workouts a week in with fronts vs backs)

I have been doing fronts in combination with snatch grip deads and barbell stepups to box and feel very strong compared to when I did backsquats and snatch grip deads alone. Could this be a mechanical issue with me?

I have a ~275 front squat right now and about a 335 back squat at 193 pounds BW. I find the posterior chain gets hit hard with the snatch grip deads and I am developing great power with the stepups etc. (up to 225 pounds to a 24 inch box for sets of 6 per leg)

Your thoughts appreciated!

Chris

I do mention the reduced stress of Front squats Vs Back squats in the article. If the program is achieving results - stick to it! Me, Don and other lifters I advise have had very positive results from the Sn DL, Front Squat pairing.

Great thanks for the clarification. I find the two exercises a great combination!

Excellent post David, this clears up a lot for me.

However, i am a bit confused with CNS costs associated with certain lifts. Does overal load itself influence the amount of CNS stress associated with a specific lift in comparison to another lift?

From what i understand, it sounds like it does. To use an example, with this concept, half squating X lbs causes less CNS stress than quarter squating more weight, assuming that each exercise is performed at the same % of 1RM (assumed >80%).

I know this has been discussed before, but i am still confused.

Bill Starr (author of the classic book on strength training, THE STRONGEST SHALL SURVIVE) wrote in the September 1997 issue of MILO magazine, “the front squat is really the truest test of leg strength.” I couldn’t agree with him more. There are so many variations that are called back squats BUT there is really only one way to perform front squats. All the way down and hips between the feet AND no forward lean. If you lean forward at all you will lose the lift. For many of the athletes that I have worked with over the years the front squat has not only developed leg strength but mid-back or thoracic area strength. There can be no excessive kyphosis, i.e. rounding of the mid to upper back, in the performance of the front squat. Not only a good leg strength exercise but a great postural exercise.

Daivd I have been re-reading your article and please correct me if I am wrong.

You suggest to do Back Squat, Deadlift and Military Press as main exercises.

You suggest that olympic lifting and plyos have limited use as sprinting is the best way to develop what they develop.

Does that sound right?

Woodhouse49

No, I tried to argue the positives and negatives of each exercise and let the reader (you!) make their own choices… However, technique permitting, I believe power cleans would be a better choice than regular DLs. They provide a natural cap on load but are sufficiently close to the limit pull to improve maximum force. They also allow compensatory acceleration and provide great stimulus for the upper body.