Bolt resumes training

Bolt starts training again
October 3 2010 at 09:48am

Kingston - Weather permitting, Usain Bolt will start his preparation to defend his International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Championships double sprint titles come Monday.

Bolt who cut short his 2010 season due to a lower back problem, is due to join his Racers Track Club teammates in training.

Glen Mills, the head track coach and president of Racers, said Saturday that all was set for the track super star to resume training.

“Yes we will start training on Monday, weather permitting.”

Jamaica has been battered by rains from tropical storm Nicole last week leaving a trail of death and destruction with 13 reported dead and millions of dollars in destruction.

Weather forecasters were calling for rains to still affect the island on Monday and when asked whether they had an alternate plans Mills said, “outdoors is the only place we have to train so if it rains we won’t be able to start and we will just have to wait until the weather clears up.”

The club is based in Kingston on the grounds of the University of the West Indies in Mona.

Bolt cut his season short in August after losing a 100 metre race to American Tyson Gay in Sweden. In a release from his agent Ricky Simms said then that the lower back problems that “restricts his ability to generate power to his stride” had forced Bolt to miss the final two races on his schedule, the IAAF Diamond League meetings - Weltklasse Zurich and Memorial van Damme, Brussels.

When the double world record holder, who turned 24 in August, ended his season he was tied fastest in the 100m with compatriot Asafa Powell with 9.82 seconds but finished third overall but had the fastest 200m time in the world - 19.52 seconds set at the Jamaica International Invitational on May 1 as well as the fastest 300m time - 30.97 seconds run in Ostrava, Czech Republic.

Bolt competed 11 times last season, starting with a 400m (45.87

seconds) at the Camperdown Classic in mid-February and ran seven individual races.

IAAF World Junior Championships 100m bronze medalist Yohan Blake who ran personal bests 9.89 seconds and 19.78 seconds in the 100m and 200m respectively will be among the teammates who will start training with Bolt. - Sapa-AFP

Lucky guys, wish I could train with them.

Usain Bolt was in Paris earlier this week, he shared in L’Equipe some of his training.

• He resumed training on 1st October
  • He focuses on endurance. Repetitions of 60m, Repetitions of 200m, and up to 15 laps (6km) in 20min at constant pace.
  • He doesn’t want to run the 400m except if his coach tells him to do it for one year. He says he doesn’t do reps of 600m or 700m, instead he does speed endurance using 450m and 350m.
  • He is impressed by Rudisha since his own PB at 800m is about 2:07.
  • He is currently in Munich to do some check-up with Dr Müller-Wohlfahrt (still has some tightness on achilles however his back is good.

Hey, PJ, good to see you in some action here and thanks for your interesting and informative posts! :cool:

Did he mention how they setup the training week?

What about days for starts and accel?

What does the part on 15 laps in 20min mean? Surely he is not doing long slow distance runs. He says in interviews more than once that he does not ever jog.

PJ, Did he mention how they setup the training week?

What about days for starts and accel?

What does the part on 15 laps in 20min mean? Surely he is not doing long slow distance runs. He says in interviews more than once that he does not ever jog.

If his pb over 800 is 2.07s which is 63.5s for 400, he is doing 6k at 80s for400, bit better than a jog.

I know it is not about me but I have used a 10minute run at pace to control size wonder if they are doing the same thing.

Thanks. To be clear, he is doing 6km runs in 20min for training? That’s a pretty fast pace.

I have my doubts on his long runs because he has said he never jogs and that his longest run in training ever is 600 early in the year. He said jogging makes his calves tighten up and that is also why he does strides for warmup as opposed to jogging for warmup.

Hopefully PJ will clarify.

That is just under 17min for 5km - much faster than a Jog. (so he still tech is not jogging) :slight_smile:

Sady could be onto something re-size control

double posting?

“up to 15 laps (6km) in 20min at constant pace” that’s what he said during the interview. The interviewers were journalists, not coach, so they didn’t ask for further details…

That’s 5 min for 1500m. Some decathletes don’t run that fast in competition. I find it hard to believe that Bolt would even be capable of such an endurance feat.

Thanks PJ. It’s a very odd quote considering Mills pointed out in a a conference that KK gave us the notes to that he starts speed type work day one and does not like lots of volume and mileage to start the year because it will have a negative effect.

Remember, he said up to 15 laps in 20 minutes. Much of what PJ wrote seems quite similar to what we know of GPP for MVP, with the exception of the high volume part. The focus on endurance and 350 & 450 reps are similar, and the only other thing I notice different in the beginning is the 60s. We also know that both groups do sleds

Steve Francis has said that he doesn’t have athletes running over 20 minutes because he believes it to be bad for sprinting. I take it that Bolt is actually running for however many laps he gets in within 20 minutes, not that he goes out to run 15 laps.

I’m just going by Bolt stating in an interview the the furthest he ever ran in training was 600 early in the year. He also said he does not like to jog because it makes his calves tight.

However, there are still coaches who do the long runs with succesful athletes- Brooks Johnson, Tellez, etc. I personally do not think it is detrimental to do early in the year, redundent yes.

Regardless of what Bolt and Mills have said they may still do the long runs. We know for a fact Mills studied Bud Winter. Winter did the long run thing to start the year. We know both Franno and Mills training is basic and old school compared to more scientific approaches.

I’m just going by Bolt stating in an interview the the furthest he ever ran in training was 600 early in the year. He also said he does not like to jog because it makes his calves tight.

However, there are still coaches who do the long runs with succesful athletes- Brooks Johnson, Tellez, etc. I personally do not think it is detrimental to do early in the year, redundent yes.

Regardless of what Bolt and Mills have said they may still do the long runs. We know for a fact Mills studied Bud Winter. Winter did the long run thing to start the year. We know both Franno and Mills training is basic and old school compared to more scientific approaches.

I think I’ll stick with the 20 min limit as I think Franno has had “slightly” more success than I have.

What I’d like to know about is maintenance for the overdistance stuff. I’m doing the 300-450m stuff that Franno talks about and also the 10X40m hills. But at least for Franno, it seems that in January, he drops the overdistance (keeps the short stuff) and starts speed endurance. I know we had some discussion last spring about Bolt doing 2X(300+180+120), I think a couple of weeks before his 100m opener, but I also know he was behind in his training.

If it’s been going well for 2 months, do you just replace, say, 3X300 with 5X120? Anybody actually know how they handle this?

The bud winter long stuff does work. I experimented with this and I got up to 10x100 @ 13.5 sec w/a 2 min break. I was not able to to that a year ago. It just sux now that it’s cold outside. The only thing is that the speed comes very gradual and it’s probably better suited for outdoors and 200m guys. If I lived somewhere warm this program would be ideal…

In the days before silicone the successful old school body builders used to do 10 minute runs at speed to drop size. They changed to a maintanance weight program while doing the runs. The reason they wanted to drop size was because a muscle may not be in proportion and and the only way to fix it is to take a step back and start again.