Block cleans vs hang cleans

Anyone use block cleans with there sprinters?

I’ve used in the past with bobsledders, and currently with a female hurdler…I like they go "0 to 60 " , so useful for RFD , and also for teaching positions.
Although I usually employ the full lifts, and hang snatch later in one of the lifting days, I feel they can have a place, mostly for teaching purposes and for those individuals lacking rfd.

What if you only had two lifting days and wanted to power clean on one day, would you snatch or block clean on day 2?

wouldnt block clean be less stressfull on the cns. if so, I would do the block on the second day and the reg pclean on the first day when fresh

I suppose since you are using less weight etc but the same could be said for the snatch.

Depends on the phase of the year…I could clean form the ground on both days early on…later I prefer 1 clean day and 1 snatch day…possibly from hang for the snatch with just 2 days…cleans could remain fairly heavy throughout the season.

Why hang snatch over power snatch in spp1?

what would be the purpose of block cleans? In essence, its basically just the catch right? Wouldn’t the lower half of the clean… ie clean pull… be more beneficial?

We have had good success with the block cleans while using the tendo and keeping track of watts etc. esp with our football players

how would you define good success? just curious. if they are beneficial, i’d consider adding them to my workout. thanks

They have helped our power cleans maxes and overall speed/power indicators. We have 2 players cleaning over 400lbs, 205lbs RB and 250lbs TE over 370 - just to name a few.

I am with eroszag here -if what you are looking for is saving the athlete’s legs, you go with the alternative that best suits him at a specific training phase (and position perhaps for football). If technique is there, I would probably prefer a hang snatch later in the season.

We are talking about spp1?

Clean your diet first.

My diet is good, 192 approximately 10%bf.

Regarding late spp/ early comp season I favor hang snatch because is quite different form regular cleans…lower weight, higher speed, less low back load and so on…also less technical than power snatch from the ground.
With 3 days devoted to OL in spp, I could also do:
Day1) Power clean ( highest load)
Day 2: hang snatch (highest speed)
Day 3: clean & jerk ( slightly lighter than day 1…also used in comp cycle for the great number of MU involved)

This is what I’m doing:

Gpp: Power cleans - 2x weekly

Spp - Max strength block 1 and 2 - Clean/Power snatch 1x weekly

Spp - Maint - Clean/Split Snatch 1x weekly

If the athlete ‘needs’ it, I see no reason why not. It depends on indoor racing, of course.