Aivala's long jumping log

First sprinting session in 4 months:

[i]
6x30m

Clean 3 x 4 x 60kg
Squat 3 x 5 x 90 / 85 / 80kg
Dumbell lounges 3x12
[/i]

The 30m sprints felt really good, I ran much better than I had thought I could. Extremelly relaxed, fluent, it seems as if I hadn’t lost practice, all the other ocassions I ran after a layoff I felt sluggish, this is a good start. Hit my chin twice with the bar while cleaning.

edit: I remeasured the field and was running 40m instead of the planned 30.

Yesterday:

5x100 tempo
Lj take off and penultimate from short app
5x100 tempo

Didn’t like it.

Today:

[i]
4x6 cmj

2x100m run throughs
6x30m

Snatch pulls: 3 x 6 x 80 / 80 / 85 kg
Quarter leg press (eccentric): 3 x 6 x 230 / 260 / 270 kg
[/i]

Felt really good with the accels, yet I am still not hitting the rythm and technique consistently. I would say only 2 / 6 were excellent. The rest mediocre. I am feeling really fast anyway. The 100m run throughs felt awesome, extremelly relaxed and the 20-40m was fucking fast.

edit: I remeasured the field and was running 40m instead of the planned 30.

Yesterday:

[i]
2x100m runthroughs
low intensity jumps
5x30m accels

cleans 3x4x 60kg >>>> cns overflow

[/i]

I still wasn’t able to get the right point of relaxation while accelerating, I either pushed too much or underperformed. I also don’t like the feel of the LJ spikes while running, yet they feel good while jumping.
It’s also very hot in Buenos Aires, I wanna some cold air soon.

Yesterday:

[i]
4x6 cmj
2x100m run throughs

6x30m

hang cleans 2x4x50kg + 4 initial attemps also at 50kg
squat 2x6x 85kg 3x80kg
lounges 3x12
[/i]

Good session, starting to feel better while accelerating, yet still not keeping the action under me. I struggle with the hang cleans.

Btw I managed to upload to youtube some videos of my last years jumps in a decent quality to youtube, I had almost no height in my “jumps” (better to be called runs-off-the-board). All in the low 6m.

//youtu.be/O78l0C8fvGA

//youtu.be/K9v3nvs1XcQ

On friday:

[i]
AM training:

6x30m

hang cleans 4x4x 40 / 45 / 50 / 55kg
squat 2x6x 85kg 3x85kg
glute ham raises 3x12
[/i]

Was completely asleep and felt slow, yet the weights session went perfectly. I am technically doing better with the hang cleans and the squats felt ridiculously easy, very fast. A month ago I was squatting with more difficulty 10kg less.

Saturday: circuits, recovery. Didn’t feel like taking 1/2 hour bus to do a tempo session so stayed at home.

Sunday:

[i]
4x RLRLRL
short approach jumps

5x40m

hang cleans 2x4x 50kg
snatch grip dl 3x4x 80 / 85 / 90kg
[/i]

I am not feeling explosive while running, yet while jumping I feel really good. I don’t know why does this happen. Perhaps are the OL´s using too much cns resources?

Monday: circuits

Tuesday:

[i]
Today:

short approach jumps
6x30m blocks

cleans 3x4x 60kg
squat 2x5x85
lunges 3x12x40kg
[/i]

First session on a track. Felt very very fast in comparison with the usual grass and used blocks. I still suck at lj though. I am unable to fully extend off the board and my steering sucks at this moment. I cannot do the pull, I feel as if I was kicking/pushing the ground instead. I still managed to have some very very smooth take offs due to good body position and free leg swing.

Wed:
[i]
short app jumps

2 accels
15x100m extensive tempo
[/i]

I did the accels because I felt ridiculously explossive and was tempted to do them. I have a pretty inconsistent take off but found two probable styles to follow:
a) passive take off, I get lot’s off air but it’s random and I can’t really perform it on every rep
b) active penultimate and take off pushing forwards with the toes
I am also dropping weights until the 18 since I have an important (and first) meet and I should already perform over 6.30m. I know that after 12 days of no weight training I somehow get my jumping abilities peaked. This has already happened 4 times, 2 accidentaly and 2 on purpose and it works very well.

Today:
[i]
2x6 cmj

8x45m

3x LRLRLR
3x4 rebounds
[/i]

Feeling really explosive. High sprinting volume since I want to find the optimal accel pattern for the runway. Felt technically good yet not as relaxed as I would like to be.

Saturday:

Short approach jumps
8x45m

Still have some metatarsal pain from the rebounds from the other day. Luckly it’s not in the same area as in my stress fracture. The short app jumps were weird since the board is like 1 or 2 inches below ground level (grass)so I always had the take off leg way too much under my COG. Technically the takeoffss were very very good. I am switching to a more passive take off since I get a more extended, stiffer leg that way and my gct gets shorter. Trying to pull bended my knee too much. I have many videos showing my improvements since the very first jumping session and I will try to compile them later on. I also have to keep the action under me while accelerating, my extensive tempo accels are better than my sprint accels because of this :stuck_out_tongue: .

Sunday: circuits.

Club closed due to easter so did like 20 min of continuous circuits instead of 1500m extensive tempo. I hate circuits. Still with some metatarsal pain so perhaps it was better to do no running today.

FIRST LJ SESSION OF THE YEAR!

SLJ: 2.81 / 3.00 / 2.73 / 2.75

Regarding the 4 bounds and a jump I really didn’t understand how to do it and struggled. Specially with the very slow start from a slj, when I catch up speed I really start bounding, otherwise it’s like struggling to move forward.

12 step app: 5.70 / 6.05 / 6.35
18 step: 6.22 / 6.32 :stuck_out_tongue:

Started to rain so had to leave. I had to do the 18 steps because I need it for saturday (long story), otherwise I would have stucked with 10 - 12 steps. Really glad with the last 12 step, there are a lot of things to fix yet 6.35 already from that short app.

Videos:

//youtu.be/C7ReNLfmE9Q

//youtu.be/zFvZplFB19A

My first time ever with something like this, completely uncoordinated. As the speed increases the bounding becomes more easier to me. Look at how I struggle with the initial slj and bound. If I had a rolling start of 1 step I would make much better. Anyway, is it supposed to be slj + r l r l + r into the sand pit? I have some measurings but may be completely off.

12 step 6.35:

//youtu.be/oqFmOO0iKqc

18 step:

//youtu.be/2awmotTfasA

In the 18 step was slowing down and the final speed was roughly the same as in the 12 step app. I have a lot of things to work on, but would love to see other people’s coments. Btw I believe I am planting way to ahead of me, my ankle started to hurt again.

Videos can be easily downloaded with keepvid.com for an easier frame by frame visualization. What software allows embedded slow mo?

I would go 14steps for your competitions. Looks like you are planting ahead of yourself more in the 18step jump. The 12 step one looks ok.

I will take that in count!.
It was my first jumping session anyway so it will definitely change. I am very happy becaue I lost like 0.3 in the landing, which would make it like 6.60, my absolute pb. :smiley: And that with only 6 step accel!

Thank you.

No problem. I would work on 14 steps in early competitions then go to 16 when you feel your technique is good but you just need more speed to go further. 18 looks too far for you at this point.

Yes, isn’t it? The problem is that due bureaucratic issues I am supposed to “look” like in competition shape on saturday but I will fix the problem.

I just measured the angles of the tibia at the plant with Kinovea and your statement is perfectly correct, on the longer approach the angle is roughly 10º bigger than in the better jump. Any cue to plant more under my COG?

I also haven’t even started with max v work yet.

Today:

cynder track:
4x40m
5x5 cmj

Felt really fast, but I still have some issues with my transition to max v from 30m onwards. It will give me lots of trouble on the runway. Next week I’ll start with some 60s or s-f-s to deal with these problems.

I was supposed to do some lifting since I cleared some of issues with the local federation and the performance on saturday won’t be taken seriously by them (thank god), but I still have to show up and jump. I needed unloading weights anyway so it isn’t a big deal.

Today I ran on a cynder track, didn’t like it at all, way too hard. My ankle now has some tightness / pain, all result from yesterday heelstriking and todays running on hard surface. When I went to the gym it was closed so I did some cmj instead. Tomorrow if my ankle feels ok some 1800m extensive tempo or circuits + upper body lifting.

Wed:

Extensive tempo 18x100m rest 30s

I timed those 100 that I was running just by feeling and got times arround 20 / 21s, what I find really slow. I thought I was running these faster but it still works as a recovery tool and aerobic booster.

Today:

[i]
6x45m runway rehearsal on rugby field

3x5 cmj
4x10 incline bench till 40kg
[/i]

Felt very very fast and finally got the exact point of relaxation. Was able to run very tall and really fast, the 10m split from 30 to 40 was very fast. I was accelerating submaximally and was able to hit my max v in the steps before the “board” (my shoes on the grass).

I tried another incline bench with narrower sit and my shoulder didn’t click at all, so it was just a matter of bench width. That’s why I used low weights.