Aivala's long jumping log

Meet today, I used it as a steering test. 2cm shy off my pb, with this meet being my second lj workout and the third one high intesity this week.

6.47 +0.7 9.67 m/s
x 9.67 m/s
6.21 9.37 m/s missed board, bad take off > ankle pain
6.22 10 m/s missed board, bad take off > ankle pain
6.54 -0.1 9.6 m/s
6.61 0.0 10 m/s

Splits were taken from the 11m tj board till the take off directly over the board, totalling 9m. Actual speed may vary in +/- 0.225 m/s.

Overall very very pleased with this, I really wasn’t expecting something similar. If I watch the videos I see lots of room for improvement, I looked like running a 400 on the runway, landing sucked (-30cm in all of them for sure), strange take off mechanics, etc. I am definitely in 7m plus shape, I need lots of practice. The 6.61 could easily be 6.90+ with a decent landing.

Finished with a weitghtroom workout:

squat 4x6x70 / 80 / 80 / 80kg
clean 2x4x 60 / 65kg
lounges 3x10x 40kg

Take off angle sucked so that may explain the poor relation to my speed approach.

//youtu.be/vRlYf29Hit8

//youtu.be/2C5N98BV3Y8

//youtu.be/z_Mixc1XpW0

Is this good at all in my sprinting technique?

[i]
3x sprint float sprint

squat 6x2x 60 / 65 / 70 / 70 / 70 / 70kg
bench 4x6x 40 / 45 / 50 / 55kg
squat 3x5x 90 / 90 / 85kg
[/i]

Something strange happened in the last sfs, when I entered the second fly zone my left ham kinda had a really minuscule pull / cramp, don’t know how to call it because it was very very small, as if a flea stitched. I decided to stop running and hit the weightroom. Cleans felt extremelly, ridiculously easy, so I believe right now could clean over 80kg. Hamstring doesn’t hurt now unless I try to stretch it in one special position, I believe it should be gone in matter of days.

I believe it was because I pushed instead of stepped over when entering the fly zone. Anyway I felt very very fast today and relaxed. It’s a shame that that is useless if I am unable to run.

edit: I believe twinge is the right word to describe this

Today:

[i]
discus tech 1kg , 1.5kg single spin > reverse and non reverse

multiple medball throws
hurdle hops x 4
cmj over hurdles x 4

short approach jumps x 7

Two hours later:

Hang clean 10 x 2 x 50 / 55 / 60 / 60 … 60kg [some couldn’t rack]
Snatch grip DL 2 x 4 x 90kg
Front squat 4 x 5 x 60 / 65 / 70 / 70kg
Incline bench 4 x 10
and some shoulder / biceps work
[/i]

The hamstring felt better today, it’s extremelly tight in one little spot with the form of a hair. Lots of fun with the discus, I hadn’t thrown in 6 months and my timing it’s still there. It flew perfectly and I could feel the difference in power in relation to last year while throwing with a reverse. With the LJ I focused on planting flat footed and jumping forwards, got lots of height without looking for it and the ankle didn’t hurt at all. I also tried to hang properly while completing the cicle of my left arm.

While doing the snatch grip dls I felt a little pop in my hamstring and most of the pain was suddenly away. Due to the hang cleans my thighs are extremelly bruised, suggestions?

Sounds to me like you had some adhesions/scar tissue there which you broke up doing the deadlifts. Was this the same area where you felt the twinge? If yes, the twinge probably was a little tear which resulted in the formation of scar tissue. I’d try to keep things easy for the next week or so. Maybe you can do something like an unloading week with reduced volume and intensities of no more than 95%.

Yes, it was in the same area. I will then back it up and stuck to low intensity jumping and short accels. Anyway the hamstring is gettting much much better, it almost doesn’t hurt at all.

Today:

20 x 100m extensive tempo

Hamstring gives no pain now, isn’t tight at all. Anyway I won’t be running hard until senior nationals next friday.

On saturday 25:

light LJ
cleans 2x60 2x65 2x70 both failed

Felt very letargic that day. I struggled with some weights that otherwise are very easy for me. I believe the snatch grip dls (quasi snatch pulls) fried my cns.

On Monday 27/4:

javelin throw tech (sucked terribly)
10x30 progressing until 90% the last 3 with short recovery

Hamstring felt fine. Missed the weightroom due to facilities restrictions.

On tuesday 28/4:

[i]
cleans 8 singles 70 / 70 / 70 (failed) / 70 72.5 / 72.5 (f) / 72.5 / 72.5
Complex: squats 3x5 x 90 / 85 / 80kg + jump squats 3x5x 30kg
Bench: 4x 6 x 50 / 50 / 55 / 60kg
some shoulder strengthening and mobility work

(thanks Nik for the workout)
[/i]

Today I didn’t made well tech wise but it didn’t cost me to do the cleans. I failed because of improper catch, I posted all the videos here: http://www.elitetrack.com/forums/viewthread/7954/ . I was supposed to do 3x5x80% but I started to fade. I need to do sprints before to perform well with the weights. Btw my bench was suddenly boosted again thanks to the incline bench.

Today:

short approach jumps
4x LRLR + jump

Almost sprained my ankle because I jumped from a surface I thought to be earth covered with sand but ended up being just sand with some grass on it. I got height even though I wasn’t looking for it and jumped off that sand surface and slipped. I got some weird backside mechanics inflight wich are result of that slipped / cushioned take off.

Easy session. Tomorrow more javelin throw and some strides while getting ready for fridays’ LJ in the NC. Some pics from today:

That board is arround 1-2 inches below ground level and the whole approach area is sloppy. My “board”:

On thursday before competition:

[i]
hurdle walkovers forwards and backwards
1x20m start
4 x 50m strides

javelin
[/i]

Some vids :slight_smile:

//youtu.be/WHXkAmTFRF4

//youtu.be/-RPbwIhstLI

//youtu.be/Ii8IEBqfI4o

//youtu.be/_i2dq_CddJ4

The jav always lands twisted with the nose pointing to the left, I sometimes have very flat landings and sometimes I stucks the ground with the tail. My jav tech sucks.

[i]
Senior NC (got my ass kicked as predicted! :slight_smile: )

6.3x
6.64 +0.2 pb
[/i]

Mixed feelings about this outcome, I sucked terribly on the runway, really slow. The best and only controlled jump was the warm up jump, I then did lots of bullshit on the runway and on the jump off. The last jump was a “oh I am far away from the board” so ended up doing a little bound before jumping and fucked up my ankle.

On the good side I made it on the last spot to the final, didn’t get metred, finished as the best junior in the competition and jumped a pb off very little training. Really looking forward to this month until junior nats, lots of short approach technical work and increase the training load.

Anyway I don’t really care about the result.

Yesterday: easy hurdles + jav work

Today:

[i]
hurdle walkovers forwards + backwards
10 x 3 hurdles at different heights at 60% (part of warm up)

short approach ljs
6x30m

clean singles: 5x 70kg 3x75kg PB and easy
Complex: squat 3x5 @ 80kg + jump squats 3x5 @ 25kg
bench: 5x5 45/50/50/5/60kg

+more hurdle walkovers
[/i]

I hadn’t really hurdled in two years and never with 1.06m height, today was fantastical and felt very comfortable and secure with my tech. The LJ went great and felt extremelly proficient with my hang, very german-esque. I tweaked my stance in the clean and it went beautfully, my tech problems are now gone! I even managed to hit the bar with my quads in the way up like the pro guys do without looking for it. Again I hit my throat with the bar, I believe the weight is light for me. On the downside my left hammy is tight.

I had a strange ankle sprain on friday while doing multi jumps. The anke wobbled from side to side but didn’t twist. Huge pain but not sharp, at the hour a big tennis ball like inflammation appeared although it wasn’t red, I couldn’t walk.
Compressed + iced + elevated and withing 24h the ball inflammation was gone, but the calcaneus area remained inflamated. Already on saturday I wasable to walk almost painlessly.

Today the inflammation is almost gone, mobility is at 90% but have some pink area arround my calcaneus. I can walk perfectly arround.

May I have some hope to compete at junior nats on 23? I take off from the other foot.

Well the ankle is doing very well, the inflammation in the back of the calcaneus disappeared completely.There is still some in the front though. The ankle progressed miraculously well so I did normal lifting and today max v work on long excellent grass without any discomfort at all. This is what I did this week:

Tuesday:

clean singles 3x70 4x75 1x70kg
squat 2x5x70kg 1x4x 80kg
bench 3x 50 / 55 / 60 1x65kg

The cleans are feeling easy with my tech tweaks. On the other hand squatting after cleaning is a real pain in the ass.

On thursday:

[i]
hang snatch 4x2x 40kg
snatch 2x2x 40 / 50kg
squat 3x3x 90kg
incline bench 4x10x40kg

strides 5x40m easy, no pain
[/i]

Hang snatching for me is an enormous problem, I can’t figure it out. I was supposed to do step ups instead of squats but for love to my ankle I just squatted.

Today_

6x50m simil runway

Felt excellent, very smooth but most important of all very very well at top speed. I ran on long grass and had no ankle pain at all. Another case of phantom sprain?

Given this I am travelling on friday to Santa Fe for national juniors. I hate riding 600km by bus but the train system here was dillapidated thanks to car favouring politics. Now we just have intercity buses that run at 90kmh, are slow, dangerous and expensive. Would love to have a high speed line running here, or at least a decent intercity rail track.

Today:

[i]
strides 10x100m 3x200m, rest 30s
totalling 1600m extensive tempo

row 6 x 5 x 50 / 50 / 55 / 60 / 65 / 70kg
[/i]

Ankle is still getting a little bit swollen after training but it doesn’t hurt at all.

A few comments on your javelin throws that might help

-Rotate your wrist so your thumb points parallel to the ground
-Bring your throwing elbow much higher as you begin to bend your elbow
-Don’t twist your left shoulder away from the direction of the throw
-Face more towards the direction of the throw as you begin

Thanks for the advice!

On tuesday:

[i]
4 x 4 double footed hurdle hops
5x40m simil runway

(power) clean singles 7x70kg
very deep squat 3x5x80kg
bench 4x5x 50 / 55 / 57.5 / 60kg
[/i]

Felt very good. The hurdle hops were awesome, I was rebounding completely extended over the lowest notch of the hurdles.

and today:

Today:

hurdle walkovers 5 x 5 h
some strides
short approach jumps (accel 3 steps and mantain 5) x 10

Today went really well considering I lifted and sprinted hard yesterday. Focus was on quick penultimate and jump, getting height without planting ahead of my com (very very stiff leg) and good landings. The first two items went very well but I am still unable to fully kick in front of me, perhaps at my level there is very little time in the air to do so. All jumps arround 5.20m.

Junior NC

Took place in Santa Fe, some 600km north of Buenos Aires. It was very hot, humid and sunny. Organization was terrible, I was supposed to jump arround 3pm and ended up jumping at 4.30pm.

Saturday’s LJ:

6.2x
6.60 -0.2
> 3rd.

3rd round 6.53 was written as 5.53 so I had some discussion with the judges. Felt very good despite travel, yet sucked technically in the air, thus my landing sucked extremelly, a total landing abortion. I am really pissed off with it. Tomorrow I will post some videos and snapshots. I still managed to finish third with a mediocre 6.60. Left ankle hurt a little bit on the last two attempts.

Sunday: TJ’d, finished 4th with a more mediocre performance. Went very conservative, just trying to remember the event.

Good thing: I ran at jog pace and still managed to jump 12.77. Had very little left ankle discomfort, the right one (the one I sprained one week ago) was excellent, almost brand new.

Bad thing: on my fourth attemp I landed on my step-jump on the LJ board slightly pronating. My ankle just blew up. Terrible pain, it disappeared for two hours almost compeltelly but during the ride back in the bus it just reappeared extremelly sharp. I had never experienced so much pain, I even wept for an hour due to pain. Really pissed off. In all the other jumps I landed in the step-jump in the very same way and with very little ankle discomfort, although in the last one I landed on the LJ board that the organizators didn’t bother to remove. Fuck them. Everything was going beautifully well. Now this… duh Btw. They laid down a tape table for take off (sic) 10m away from the pit because they didn’t have anyone changing the LJ board from it’s position. We were supposed to start jumping at 1pm, I withdrew in the fourth round and it was 4:30pm!!!

Annoyingly terrible, I really want to shoot some people. Organization was a total joke.

The LJ, average 9m-board approach speed was 9.7 m/s in some and 10m/s and others:

//youtu.be/cWhQQ-s9ChU

//youtu.be/uu_GQHYIVmE

//youtu.be/ljOC7Urs03g

//youtu.be/77iHFkVmxqI

//youtu.be/p-Zz943Nf1A

//youtu.be/8MykXb4LVes

If somebody is doubting about my speed just look at the 6.48. It took for me 4 steps to cover 9m from the 11m tj board until the LJ board. Without taking in count the shortening of the penultimate and jump steps it gives me 2.25m per stride and from the first until the last contact there are exactly .9 seconds. Take 4/0.9 = 4.44 strides / sec. 4.44*2.25 = 10m.

After watching the videos I am surprised that my hop was nice in the tj after one year of no tj-ing at all. Here is the moment of my injury thanks to the board (I was jumping in trainers):

And here I had no pain at all (it was hard though)

Then the other jumps in correct order:

//youtu.be/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DgFEyDkIJE

//youtu.be/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qoTuMRm0oI

//youtu.be/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9td8SlVcQk

//youtu.be/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPV_xdecM3A

On the other hand I am starting to believe that my lack of strength is limiting me in the LJ. A friend of mine jumped 6.58 in this meet, he is 10cm lower than me, much slower, his take off plant movement is very similar to mine and he is able to reach the same height I reach, but relatvely speaking he gets much higher than I do. He is very very strong. I believe I should focus almost exclusively on gaining strength for a while.

Today, first session after the NC. No sprinting due to my ankle, I can’t believe it hurt that much and now it looks all right.

[i]
bw: 73kg, 1.855m tall

power clean singles 70 / 75 / 80kg PB / 85kg narrowly failed +5kg
squat 4 x 3 x 80 / 90 / 95 / 95kg
bench 3x4x 50 / 55 / 60kg

cmj 3x5
[/i]

Felt very explosive with the cleans. I didn’t struggle at all with 80kg. At 85kg I missed the catch but the bar got more than enough height, it was very very close, it would have been a 10kg PB. I am just not used to move that much weight. Right now I am starting a heavy lifting microcycle that worked extremelly well in the past for my jumping power just to see how I respond. Tomorrow I am going to test my ankle with some strides. Squat 1RM should be arround 105kg right now.

Very very happy with this pb.