Age considerations

Yes, this has worked for me too. If you keep the workout VERY short, and holding back a rep short of failure couldn’t hurt either. [I know it’s hard to pull back] I did a short half hour upper after speed 1, and an even shorter legs after speed 2. [4 days rest after speed 2 helps the leg recovery given that you also followed that track work with weights]. Once again, I think we’re both strong enough to be fast. We just have to teach those sticks of ours to move again!

How about this :slight_smile:

I think this should work well

Day 1 Speed 1/Weights/Core (Short speed)
Day 2 Pool Work
Day 3 REST
Day 4 Speed 2 (Longer speed)
Day 5 Weights/Core
Day 6 REST
Day 7 REST

Day 1 - Speed 1 (Short speed)
Speed:
4 x 50 (6 minutes rest)
4 x 30 (5 minutes rest)
Weights
3 sets hang cleans
3 sets weighted jump squats
3 sets bench
Core:
3 x hanging leg raises
3 x weighted incline situps
2 x weighted side bends
2 x hypers

Day 2 - Pool work/tempo
10 x 45 seconds running A’s in the pool followed by stretching

Day 3 - REST

Day 4 - Speed 2 (Longer speed)
6 x 120 at 85-90% (Not sure on rest times here)
3 sets hangcleans
2 sets jumpsquats
3 sets bench
Core:
2 x hanging leg raises
2 x weighted incline situps
2 x weighted side bends
2 x hypers

Day 5 Weights
cycling 10 minutes
3 sets backsquats
2 x light (leg extension, ham curl, calf raise, abductor/adductor)
3 sets bent over row

Day 6 - REST

Day 7 - REST

What do you think? I find hangcleans and light jumpsquats barely affect me CNS wise. Heavy backsquats do me in however.

I am thinking squats, assistance work and bent over rows on fridays will work as I’ll have 2 full days of rest.

Cheers,
Chris

Here are my current stats:
BW: 195
Bench: ~285 for single
Squat: ~315-330 single buried (doubled 295 recently buried without belt or wraps)
Powerclean: ~225
Standing shoulder press: 185 for 1-2 reps
Deadlift: (Havent done in a long time, probably 405 with wriststraps. My grip isnt as good as it used to be)

Way better-but jumpsquats WILL use lots of CNS if done at an intensity strong enough to be any good!

Question on speed endurance reps. I’ve been doing mine with a short run in of 5 to 10 meters rather than a standing start. On max velocity days, I do 20 to 30 meters fly with a 20 to 30 meter run in. I do the acceleration work from blocks, three-point and standing on a third day.

I’ve seen other discussions in this forum that combine some of these elements on the same day. I would think that if that were done, the acceleration should come first, then the max velocity stuff and finally some speed endurance or special endurance, but I think you would have to pay attention to the total volume and allow ample recovery. I like to keep those elements on separate days but what are thoughts on a more holistic approach within a day? I don’t think you could get a high enough quality in the elements at the end of the workout to be as effective as needed.

I have wondered about combining elements as well. I know of guys that do Max V and Speed end in the same session. (Max V is always performed first regardless of how you combine elements though)

Until I get my sh!t back together with a good fitness base I am not going to worry about compartmentalizing my training like that for at least several months.

Cheers,
Chris

Having only 2 speed days per week out of recovery necessity, I combine the elements too, but most of the work is top speed. I’m not sure if this is detrimental or not. I want to run the 200m this summer, and if I don’t tack a 200m run onto the end of my starts and top speed work I will never be ready in time! Maybe elite guys fine-tune it better than this, but I like ending practice with one speed endurance run. My times in the short stuff are still dropping, so it couldn’t be hurting me too badly.

When you guys run your speed endurance pr special endurance work do you use a running start, standing start or ?? I couldn’t find anything on the board that addresses this, but my guess is that these longer sprints are done without emphasizing a start, keeping start work for the acceleration workouts and maybe some of the max speed stuff up to about 60m.

150 and over i use a standing start.

Same as Quik-over 150 I use a standing start. I still try and accelerate like game day, though. [which is hard right now because I don’t really have the true fitness necessary to bolt out at the start of a 200m and hold it in on through to the finish-but I try]

What about shorter – 60 to 120m? Would you still use standing start or some lead-in distance? Not quite like a flying 20 or 30, but enough to take acceleration out of the equation. My thinking here is to limit the acceleration work to the day when that is emphasized and then keep the the speed endurance day emphasizing the maintenance of speed over distance. Or would you say the acceleration phase is important when training speed endurance? I’ve done everything from block starts to standing starts to 5-10m stride into the 60 to 120 meter repeats. Probably makes no difference when training speed endurance unless the acceleration is so intense that it reduces the number of quality reps you can get in for training the top end and maintenance of the speed generated.

I agree with you-maximum number of learning repetitions has to benefit the athlete the most. Hard acceleration really limits the number of runs I can do, so my runs are mostly either hard 0-30 accels., or flying 30’s, flying 60’s etc., without too many 0-60’s or 0-100’s. If I do an occasional 0-60 or 0-100 though I try and use blocks-I need all the practice I can get staying down and not standing upright too quickly. By the way-flying 60’s are my favorite drill in the world for some weird reason-maybe they’re just long enough to really get the wind in my face!

I am a 47 yr. old masters sprinter myself. I started this training about 2 years ago and all I can say is what a blast. I have been reading these posts on this subject with much interest. I have a question for you guys as I haven’t seen it mentioned. In addition to rest (sleep) how are you guys addressing your nutritional needs? Vitamins or any supplements? It could help recovery alot if you change poor dietary habits. Do any of you guys take any protein drinks ect? I do and find that they help. I lift 4 times a week, plo’s 2 times. One week it will be 2 speed endurance workouts and 1 speed then the next week vise versa. I have yet to add tempo to my weekly workout but I am planning on it soon. I have struggled to recover but over time with persistance I have gotten better at recovering and faster at sprinting. Good luck to all you old guys

I take glucosomine (spelling?)
Vit B50 complex
mulivitamin
calcium
whey protein immediately after working out.

Cheers,
Chris

I find that after each interval, getting down on all fours to prevent passing out and panting like a dog to replenish oxygen helps my recovery.

Is this technique used by anyone else?

Hey there Rtodd. Don’t be giving away our trade secrets to recovery!!! LOL

You guys work too hard!

I’m 42yrs.
Masters athletes must take supplements…helps recovery and keeps immune system up to scratch; As CF said recivery is a big issue with masters athletes

Breakfast: Porridge, protein drink. 1 gram effervescent Vit C. Cod Liver and Eve. Primrose, Vit E, Creatine, Glutamine, Multi-Vit, Folic Acid, Glucosamine Sulphate

mid-morning; Protein and carb bar + apple/banana

lunch: Jacket potato and salad

mid-afternoon: almonds/friut

supper: varoius…protein carb balance plenty of veg

later: soya joghurt or toast ZMA

Post-workout: recovery drink containing carbs/protein/efa’s/vit and mins/creatin/glutamine + extra Vit E/Glucosamine/fish oils

If I feel a cold coming on I take up to 5grams of vit a day (I never get a cold)

At least 8 hours sleep a night: Short abbreviated workouts working from development of acceleration to short speed to long speed.
Low reps and medium to high sets in gym mostly compound moves. Squats, cleans, jump squats, depth jumps. bench press, dips, waist work
SLJ’s and VHJ’s
Never get too far from speed
No GPP Only rest. Technique work and relaxation at speed and during acceleration. Some hills early on. Sort of double periodisation for indoor and outdoor season. No junk training

As a master;
B/W 145pounds /66kgs /10stone 4lbs
Body fat 9-10%
SLJ 2.85m
60m 7.4
100m 11.7
200 23.3
400m 52.8 (with no specific training only based on speed)

Athletes pay lip service to diet…you must get it right!!
Target this year:
60m 7.1/7.2
100m 11.2-11.35

good post :slight_smile:

Those times hand times or FAT?

cheers,
Chris

Yeah, those are great times at 42! You’d clean up on the masters circuit in Canada with those. Good work and good advice too.

All hand times, although I’ve run comparable electronic.
Hand times are not necessarily 0.24secs slower than FAT. Where I race in London and South England the handtimers usually time slower than FAT.
I ran about 40 races during 2003, my FAT times were invariably faster than hand times. In one race I had hand and FAT times; the hand times were slower than the FAT times.
This is why sprinters are constantly trying to find races with Electronic timing, they’re sick of being given stupid hand times.
The handtimers generally wait till the sprinters are past the finish line before they stop timing. They do this to take the 0.24 into consideration.