About Michigan's new S & C coach

final conensus on Michigan. I personally think Barwis made 3 future NFL DL look less explosive. All the talk of speed and conditioning. I think in retrospect, it was over rated. RR and MB learning a lesson in humility. RR was quoted in local paper saying " being quieter is being better". Maybe next year we won’t be bombarded by all the hype. If he doesn’t turn things around appreciably next season, I don’t know if he will get a third to get it right. Michigan fans want his head on a stick. Maybe MB will call Charlie and learn how to correctly create speed and condition his athletes.

Maybe they should hire you to do the job…

I, personally, don’t think MB made them look un-explosive but rather the stupid 3 man front that Shafer went with. With that, though, there are signs that the three man front was done at RR’s insistence.

I don’t disagree that there’s probably a lot of un-warranted MB hype but Graham, for one, had a career season and was at times, unstoppable. Unfortunately, he might jump to the nfl next rather than coming back for a senior season-wouldn’t blame him for moving on after this season, though. I thought the four starters looked, mostly, good when they were allowed to play together. Jamison, I feel, was improved. Johnson did not look any more explosive to me but Taylor did look, at times, a little better.

I’m just not sure why three man front was considered to be good option when the d-line was the deepest and highest quality position group, by far, on the defense. Keep all four on the field which they did go back to at the end of the year but probably lost some games during the middle of the season they could have won with more of a pass rush and being more a bit more stout against the run.

I feel like the olb and safety play is what truly killed the d this year. This team, though it should have definitely have been a down year, should never have been quite this bad-especially defensively.

Why sarcasm? If any of what I said is wrong, tell me. I agree with Pioneers take. 3 man front is foolish. The secondary was terrible. I think RR needs to take more blame for poor coaching instead of blaming players. Too many times I have heard him say guys just aren’t making plays. As for Barwis, sideline arguments are childish. I think his training is a bad because it flies in the face of everything that gets discussed on here daily. Too much hype for such subpar results. I just sit back and laugh because I saw it coming and said so loud and clear. His style bothers me because as I said numerous times, I have to save my athletes from coaches who attended Barwis’ seminar. I run a business and the kids come first and foremost.

No sarcasm on my end, everyone has the answers when things are going bad. When you take over a program you have to put your system in place no matter what, just like James and buddy did at pitt. Whenever you have major changes like mich did this year it will take time, remember when neb switched over to the west coast offense or wait till Georgia tech switch back over to a pro style offense. I will give the staff 3 yrs before I pass judgment, if the staff can find a good juco qb they may be able to win 9 games next year otherwise if they decide to go with an hs qb ill say 6-8 wins. The moral of the story is TIME, because they are making major changes (pro style off to running spread, HIT to Dynamic lifting program etc). We are not talking about going from a one back to a two back offense, but from a pro style to running spread offense.

I see what you are saying. Go on youtube and look at Barwis’ ten minute diatribe about how he is going to make them faster, stronger, and less injury prone. Are they faster? I didn’t see it. Are they stronger? Again, saw no evidence of it. Are there less injuries? I think we both know the anwser to that. I agree about allowing them to put system into place, but for RR to claim the cup board was bare is BS. He has 4 or 5 guys on that D who will get drafted. They had some left overs on offense who are 4 star recruits. I just think a smart coach would have massaged his system a little to make the transition easier. Asking Threet and Sheridan to run spread option was crazy. The D needed to play to its strength and let it’s D line handle games. I just got sick of having all the MB mania shoved down my throat since they got here. I just end up fighting with local coaches who try to ruin the players who attend my facility.

Michigan lack talent, it doesn’t take a lot to see this; I think the previous staff didn’t do a good job reloading the program with talented players. RR did the right thing by running the offense he believe in, why should he build the offense around two second tier’s qb and slow down the growing process of the program? You guys are listing all kind of reasons (faster, stronger etc etc) but you are overlooking the importance of the qb position and the impact it has on the program, look at the top 5 programs and tell me what they all have in common - great qb play, look at some of the second tier programs like Ole Miss and tell me what they have - qb’s that can make plays. Same thing goes with Pitt, once they find that stud qb they will win a championship. I’m sure if RR had the 4 studs they lost on the offense (long, hart, chad, mario) they would have done things different. If you have a championship type team then wholesale changes may not be good but with a team like Michigan look long term.

To run his offense you need a special QB. Pat White is a great example. The one thing I have said all along is without a stud QB, the offense bogs down. That was evident at WVU whenever White was out. They looked ordinary. I just thought he could have made some minor changes to make it a transition instead of an abrupt change. I don’t buy that they don’t have talent. Maybe not top tier, but certainly better recruits than MSU, Northwestern, and Toledo. I don’t think putting in a variation of his offense would have stunted the process. I train good high school teams who adjust year by year to the strengths they have. These are stellar athletes by comparison. There certainly was no excuse for 3-9. That may fly for a few years at WVU, but if he has another tough season, look out. The Michigan alum will want his head on a stick.

Wow, he spouts everything he learned in the last 10 years. I wonder if any reporter can repeat anything he just said. He may as well read the cliff notes . . . holy crap he just said bioenergetics. He does have that nice gelled hair though. That sells. This guy sold himself into a job, thats all.

I guess I need to start speaking above the heads of all my kids and their parents and I will be elevated to guru status. He could certainly tone down the rhetoric. In a 10 min interview, he may have used every term relating to exercise science. Is it me or does he need Ritalin?

I agree with you that RR should run his offense but you have to massage the offense to the talent you have. He has done this in the past at Tulane and Clemson just like Meyer did with the difference in Chris Leak and now with Tebow. RR probably has done this and may just have shite for players.

The qb’s at um are nothing like leak, shaun king, Woody Dantzler.

I think 3 kid’s I saw from Michigan could run that offense. Devin Gardener from Inkster(junior), Robert Bolden from OLSM(junior), or AJ Westendorp from Holland Christian(senior). I was very impressed by all of them. Hope RR is looking at the juniors. I heard they were only offering Westendorp preferred walk on status?

No doubt does not have those guys.

I agree that all of those guys could run that offense. I’ve heard the same on Westendorp.

Wesendorp impressed the heck out of me. He is 6’2", 210 lbs and was quick footed. He had accurate passes and great decision making. I can’t believe he is getting no major D1 love. He is as good as I have seen play in Michigan this year at QB.

A recent video on the S & C program describes the speed and explosive training they are going to do in a sand pit BECAUSE the forces dissipate and this will allow triple extension? I could see something like that used possibly as some strength endurance/work capacity training but certainly not for speed development.

Also mentioned is the fact that Brandon Graham did not become a 400 lb. cleaner overnight!? I’m guessing he’s still not a 400 lb. cleaner. Multiple reps with tons of intra-set recovery as I’ve heard is used, does not=( IMO) a 1 rm.

training in the sand lead to slower foot contacts(longer on the ground) and ultimately lead to less elasticity? He has a track record of overdoing things. Maybe Barwis should pay Charlie to come to Toronto and learn to actually do speed training. Based on the injury rates at U of M and overall subpar performance in many area, perhaps MB should rethink some of his “philosophies”.

Exactly and this is why I brought that up. This unstable crap is insane. I’m sure he thinks it must be better because it’s harder, more hardcore and maybe more guys puke? Evidently, he’s missed all of the recent research on the limitations of unstable training.

a place of higher learning and quality students. Has anybody been on their forum? These constant “wait till Barwis works with this 5 star recruit, he will walk on water” comments. I feel like just saying, look at his guy’s on the field. I didn’t see some miraculous change. I saw a worse football team than the prior year. I saw no signs of superior speed, physical dominance, or superior conditioning. Not to beat a dead horse, but enough is enough. Keep up the “triple extension in the sand” and you will continue to see double digit injury rates.