5x5 in the Max phase

I am not sure to what exercises this volume refers, but it seems a bit too much to me. Perhaps a 3 x 10, 4 x 8, 5 x 5 would work well towards maximum strength in your case, keeping the volume relatively the same. As for your last question, I think it’s better to wait and see the response to these exercises first and the improvement you’ll have in the rest of the exercises and then decide. But if you want to improve something, starting with it usually works well and this is the time/phase to do it, since the rest are still in the development stage. I hope this helps.

Yeah thanks! Actually helps alot. Makes sense to only manipulate the recovery time and make the sets x reps = same volume, but different intensitys of course.

I’m planning on doing 2speed/weight days per week, and I’m not sure if I should switch exercises for each day.
For example:

Monday/Thursday

Glute Ham/Hip Thrusts
Power Clean/Dumbbell swings
Box Squat/Deadlift

…or would you say that going for the same exercises, but only manipulating the xRM % for each day is enough, together with the diffrent sets x reps for each phase of course?

Bump!..anyone?

I would say just switching up the percentages would suffice, its not like ur in a Westside type system where ur success will depend on how well u “mix things up.” Basically by the time u get to the max strength phase u will have cut out almost all of the exercises that u were doing in the gpp and accum with the exception of the bench, a row/pulldown, and w/e u 2 u choose for the lower half. Also, u will not really want to start a max strength workout with a “glute specific” exercise. The goal here is to start the workout off with the main exercise u are tryin to gain strength in, take care of the glute problem in the gpp and accum phase.

Alright, thank you! :slight_smile: makes sense once again.
What about 5x5@80% of 5RM Monday, 5x5@70% Thursday? And in the GPP and Accum 4x8-10@80% of 8-10RM?
I’m probably only gonna be doing Deadlifts as my Main Lower Body Lift, since squats tends to be Quad dominant exercises and I’m gonna get away from all those type of exercises.

I’ll start all weight sessions, regardless if it’s GPP, Accum or Max phase with 1-2 glute activation exercises. This would work as a warmup.

starting with glutes as a warm up would be completely fine, just keep it at a low enough volume so that its stays as “just a warmup” and doesnt affect ur main exercise. The percentages for ur lifting stages also look good. One thing to keep in mind tho, the deadlift will drain ur CNS more so than a squat will, so i would be very careful with my sets and reps with the deadlift, cause if u do too much it will affect ur bench press progress. Unless u are SEVERELY lacking in the posterior chain of your body by the time u get to ur max strength phase, id stick with a wide squat.

Hm, but the bad thing about Wide Stance Squat is that it will still train my quadriceps more than a deadlift. Maybe I’ll have to reduce some of the medicine balls and sprints to manage the deadlift. Aren’t there any other way to come around the quad problem for the main lift other than box squats?

If you ever seen the picture “what looks right, flyes right”, well my legs are pretty identical to the ones that DON’T fly right. So, should I do wide stance squats and just add glute hams and other extra things for my posterior chain, or should I cut down sprint and med ball volume in order to do the deads?

Just to clarify, you have made a few references to your loads like…

This range will be 4x8 @ 80% of 8RM to build some muscles.
At first I thought this was a typo. While 4 x 8 at 80%(which is about an 8RM) would be very tough, it would be of little value for hypertrophy if you are actually talking about 80% of 80% (64%) which is a 14RM load, give or take. That’s too light for hypertrophy using the sets/reps you discussed.

In later posts, you say similar things, (80% of 6RM, 80% of 5RM). Make sure you understand which rep/load ranges work best for which training goal (hypertrophy, strength, power) and that in general, we talk in reference to 1RM, i.e. >85% of 1RM for strength, 30-70% of 1RM for explosive power, etc. The ranges are debatable, I realize, but keep in mind when reviewing the training of others that their percentages are based on their 1RM.

Why is a 14RM load too light for hypertrophy (or even strength for a non-elite lifter)?

If you look at Charlie’s GPP program and many others, sets of 8-12 are quite common and almost always had one or more reps left in the tank (making it ~a 14RM load). Even if you look at more traditional bodybuilding programs (pretty much the definition of hypertrophy oriented programs), that vast majority of their work (probably >95% of their total training loads) is well under 80% of 1RM (think about the regular use of 20 rep squats and things of that nature).

Hm, I feel the lifts are quite challenging though.
And I calculate it like this, if I can lift 100kg squat, and my 8RM is 75kg, I go 75*0,8=60kg for 8RM. Doesn’t that sound good?

Anyway, what lift should I do for my main lower body? Good mornings, split squat, wide stance squat? I don’t wanna develop the quads, just keep the strength and load the hams and glutes to get the ratio closer. Thoughts?

To complete 5x5 wouldn’t the %1RM be too low for the max strength phase? 5x5 is hard! Thats why I am planning to use 5x5 as SPP accum (3weeks)… plus I’m a jumper and am worried about weight gain.

If I’m well off and 5x5 should be used in the 7 week strength block please correct me!

The stated range was 8 reps, which would leave 6reps in the tank. Twelve reps would work with a 14RM, but not sets of 8.

Even if you look at more traditional bodybuilding programs (pretty much the definition of hypertrophy oriented programs), that vast majority of their work (probably >95% of their total training loads) is well under 80% of 1RM (think about the regular use of 20 rep squats and things of that nature).
Keep in mind he isn’t talking about an 80% load. He’s talking about 80% of an 80% load…about 64% of 1RM. My primary reason for posting was to point out that he didn’ need to make a double caclulation, just stick with % based off 1RM to avoid confusion.

Twenty rep widow makers as a final set not withstanding, bodybuilders, by and large, work in the 5-10 rep range and leave very few reps in the tank. Sets of 12 may work at 65%, but at the proposed 4 x 8, it is too light. I don’t know any bodybuilder that uses a 6 rep buffer.

Many people get good strength gains with the 5 x 5, as long as one or two sets are at 85% or greater. You can get some strength gainsusing a lesser load if you push closer to failure (1 or 2 rep buffer), but rep ranges of 5 or less using 85% or higher loads are the more effective. Again, this is general, and may not work well within your specific training program.

It seems a little light to me, but my main point was that there is no need for the double calculation. 60kg is a 60% load if your 1RM is 100kg. Adding the extra step may cause some confusion if readers miss that second step.

Okey, yeah that’s true! So what are your suggestions for the GPP (10reps) and Accum(8reps) phases with the loading %? Because 50-70% with 8-12reps is general for hypertrophy. So I believe this would work very well for me since I need some extra muscle bulk in the glutes and hams especially.

And what about the main lower body lift, any good suggestions that involve good training for hams and glutes? I think deadlift will be a bit too taxing for 5x5 after speed work, but how would Wide Stance Squats work for developing the posterior chain and just keeping the quads I already have?

If you’re incorporating this into a GPP as part of a sprint program, Charlie would be the one to ask. It will depend very much on your training level and how this will fit into your overall plan. For posterior chain, I like squats, box squats, RDL’s (performed explosively) and GHR’s. Wide stance does hit the glutes and hams a little harder than narrow stance, but again, ask sprinters here for their opinion, as some believe wide squats may effect sprint mechanics.

5 x 5 should work if you limit the number of exercises to two, and yes full deadlifts would be difficult and not high on my list for a sprinter.

Then what lift would you choose instead of Deadlifts for a few month of working out balances and improving performance(since I’m anterior pelvic tilt and quad dominant)? I’m getting a good box for the box squat, just don’t know when yet though.

For the 6 week gpp keep the reps in 6-12 zone, for example:

wk 1: 3x12x50
wk 2: 3x10x55
wk 3: 3x10x60
wk 4: 3x8x65
wk 5: 3x8x70
wk 6: 3x6x75

Mon:
power cleans
clean pulls
back squats

Fri:
power cleans
back squats
rev lunges
rdl

Looks pretty cool. Though I’m not a big fan of squat in my position needing to fix my imbalances of quad and ham/glutes.

LOL, imbalances. Sorry didn’t mean to laugh.