2009 NFL Combine

Any thoughts or comments on the 2009 combine? DeFranco’s guy Big Cush just ran unofficial 4.6-4.7 40yd dash.

Top qb:
Pat white 4.55

Top rb:
Peerman, Cedric 4.45

Top wr:
Heyward-Bey, Darrius 4.30

Top te:
Cook, Jared 4.50

Top ol:
Murtha, Lydon 4.89

Top dl:
Sidbury, Jr., Lawrence 4.64

Two of the best players so far is Baylor left tackle williams and wake forest linebacker Curry…

I noticed that the rules require starting from a 3-point stance.

Do guys run from a 3-point stance on their pro days, or do they do something else?

And what is the optimal starting stance if you are not using blocks?

Everyone uses a 3pt stance. I teach my guys 1-2 shoe lengths behind the starting line, back foot 3x3 (back knee should be even with front foot)…

At the start, I noticed a couple guys had the back leg straight. Knowshon Moreno did it, and it didn’t look very explosive.

how does the bench press test effect the players subsequent performances. I was wondering if it would be better to leave one or 2 in the tank to save yourself for the 40 and such? or could it possibly help as a means of potentiation for the athletes?

I see this athlete decided to run track to prepare for his pro day, he ran a 6.66 at the ncaa’s.

Another player to watch is CB/KR Michael Ray Garvin (5-7 5/8, 174 pounds). Garvin, a world-class track speedster, turned in times of 4.24 and 4.28 seconds in the 40-yard dash. For comparison, either one of those times would have been the fastest at the combine in Indianapolis, as Maryland’s Darrius Heyward-Bey had the best time at 4.30 seconds. Garvin also had a 36-inch vertical leap, a 10-foot, 8-inch broad jump and times of 4.34 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.97 seconds in the three-cone drill.

RB Antone Smith (5-7 7/8, 191 pounds) also showed off his speed at the pro day with times of 4.33 and 4.36 seconds in the 40. He had a 32-inch vertical and a 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump and times of 4.32 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.90 seconds in the three-cone drill. He also put up an impressive 31 repetitions on the bench press.

Good numbers. Unusual vertical jump though. With those numbers I’d expect him to be well over 36 inches.

Donald Washington had a 45" vertical and a 11’3 BJ. I guess this shows that a VJ and the 40yds won’t always correlate to what is expected.

True, he only ran a 4.5 40yd dash, Deion thought Donald was gonna run 4.2-4.3…

4.5…that sucks. I just got a kid from our football team who ran 4.4 as a junior in HS :smiley:

On Path to the Draft today, Charles Davis reported that LeSean McCoy only had 29" VJ, and 8’11 BJ but still ran a 4.52. Donald Washington broad jumped over two feet more and vertical jumped over a foot more than LeSean yet still ran in the 4.5’s!

Kellyb wrote a recent article about the correlation between jumping and sprinting.

What’s going on James?

Yea but it makes you begin to wonder if whomever trained them for the combine even showed them how to vertical jump and do the SLJ properly. I remember freshman year of football (college) at camp we got tested and
I had no clueeee whatsoever how to do the vert test. It felt so awkward and I remember decending slow and as a result only jumped 27 inches. I also ran 4.42h. Two years later running the same 40 time I jumped 32".

He has been in college for 3yrs his strength coaches should have taught him how to vj…

Now I don’t know much about the strength coaches at the institution he attends but we both know some of the stuff strength coaches SHOULD do and what they ACTUALLY DO are 2 different things.

Regarding Lesean, If you’re really interested, call me at the number listed on the University website.

While I haven’t even seen him since he left after our bowl game in the beginning of Jan, I’d rather not discuss it on an open forum.

All of our other guys had a great workout, however.

Pittsburgh RB LeSean McCoy ran the 40 in what is being reported as around 4.50 seconds at the Panthers’ pro day on Tuesday, although he was probably hoping to be a little faster. McCoy, who is regarded as a late first or early second round possibility at the 2009 draft wasn’t able to run at last month’s combine because he was sick and he had lost some weight. McCoy, though, has reportedly gained most of his weight back – he weighed in at 204 at the on-campus workout. Meanwhile, fellow Pitt RB and KR LaRod Stephens-Howling reportedly ran the 40 in the low 4.4 range, while WR Derek Kinder was timed between 4.45 and 4.5 seconds.

I’m curious; I don’t see how 6-8 weeks of shit training can override 3yrs of solid training. I’m sure he was doing some kind of explosive work and should have VJ at least 33in.

I would be curious to hear his 40yd dash times from year 1 to year 3 because going back and looking at films he look much faster his first year VS his last year; could be the additional weight and injuries etc.