1RM-Deadlift

Is correct for improvening 1RM of Deadlift this Progression for Intermediate 18 age old?Other exercise with Texas Method…

Week1-of-10)-Deadlift: 1x3x375(setsxRepsxLbs)
W2)Deadlift: 1x2x400
W3)Deadlift: 1x2x425
4-Deadlift: 1x2x450
5-.Deadlift: 3x3x400
6-.Deadlift: 1x2x425
7-Deadlift 1x2x450
8-Deadlift: 1x2x475
9-Deadlift: 1x1x490

Week10/End /CONTEST of Deadlift-Deadlift 1x1x500

Not sure

#1-Only one unload week (week 5) decrease the weight at least every fourth weeks

#2-Peaking the deadlift can take some time 7-10 days, be sure there Is no residual nervous system fatigue when he’ll enter in comp. That’s why I would unload on week 8…

Only my opinion, based on what worked for me and those I have trained

Deadlift progress can increase, and then crash in your face

Week1-of-10)-Deadlift: 1x3x375(setsxRepsxLbs)
W2)Deadlift: 1x2x400
W3)Deadlift: 1x2x425
4-Deadlift: 1x2x400
5-.Deadlift: 3x3x375
6-.Deadlift: 1x2x425
7-Deadlift 1x2x450
8-Deadlift: 1x2x475
9-Deadlift: No Deadlift
Week10/End /CONTEST of Deadlift-Deadlift 1x1x500

Is ok?

Much better, but keep in mind that from week 5-8 your are making step from 375 to 475, but still there is 3 weeks HARD followed by 1 weeks unload. Adjust as needed.

One thing I would like to suggest, If he is a strength dominant athlete (who is strong but lack RFD) some backward med.ball throws would be awesome to prime the nervous system prior to the deadlift session.

Also, don’t be affraid to add some accessories, post chain work etc…what technique he us using in comp.? mid grip standard or sumo deadlift ?

contest 1x1x500lb , he have only one try? there is 3 try in powerlifting contest

I suggest 1x465 (safe lift) 1x485, 1x500

mid grip standard
HE IS a strength dominant athlete (who is strong but lack RFD)…YES!!!

I don’t like the rep scheme. More importantly, I’m not clear about context. Is it a deadlift only comp? Is it a 3 lift comp? What other exercises are being done? Part of peaking the deadlift deals with the selection and volume of assistance movements. Those in turn depend on the technique (sumo or conventional), how advanced the lifter is etc. You say the lifter is 19yrs and “intermediate”. What weight class?

Answer those questions and I’ll post some suggestions.

Is it a deadlift only comp? YES

You say the lifter is 19yrs and “intermediate”. What weight class?- 100Kg

Convetional Deadlift

+Other exercise(Bench Press and Squat) with Texas Method…

Contest is the 28Th March 2009

i think our max might be around the same. u said to drop the weight back every 4th week? why is that? what should i do next wednesday? here are my deadlift sets, reps, and weights for the past several weeks on wednesday. i squat monday and friday.

1)3x6@325
2)3x6@355
3)3x6@365
4)3x6@385
5)3x6@405

Thanx Super—Bob

I didnt mean to hijack the thread or anything. I was just curious about why to drop the weight back every 4th week.

Unloading procedure to avoid stagnation and nervous system fatigue. The more advanced you are, the less you can take all out performance. That’s why Poliquin use unload every third workout

do you pull back the intensity on the track for that week?

If the goal is a 500 lb DL at 220 in a deadlift only meet, I’ll tell you what I would do.

First 500 at 220 is beginner level. There should be no need to “unload”, cycle intensity or anything fancy. You should progress quickly from below this number. Don’t plan the weights specifically for each week, you may well surpass 500.

First you need to select assistance exercises based on strengths/weaknesses of the movement. Where does he fail a lift? Is he strong off the floor and fails 2/3 of the way up?

For 10 weeks a good place to start might be:

Monday: Bench and related assistance. Work fairly hard, but don’t emphasize. Stick to reps mostly around 5 for peak sets.

Tuesday: Squat, again work hard (especially for first 6 weeks), but stick to 5 reps roughly, and don’t peak the lift during this time.

Thurs: miscellaneous

Friday or Saturday: DL and assistance. This is the big day, the focus. Try to get 3-4 guys to meet every week just for this day.

For DL assistance I might include (not all at once):

1. heavy bent rows from floor (replace on floor each rep). 3 rep sets
  2. clean pulls, 3 rep sets
  3. rack lock outs from 1" below knee, 5 reps
  4. weighted chins narrow parallel grip.

You might do 1) and 4) for 3 weeks, followed by 2) and 4) for 2 weeks, followed by 3) and 4) for 2 weeks. This is a total of 7 weeks assistance. Phase it out for last 3 weeks. Work abs etc throughout.

Finally for DL.
After complete warmups and intermediate weights, do 2 tough sets. start with a relatively easy weight for first week. Hit the assistance hard, but add enough each week to the DL that the sets get tough after maybe 3 weeks. Weeks 4-7 really go hard, feed off the extra guys that you have come in. Weeks 8 and 9 drop the reps and only do one set. Also drop assistance work. You will peak for comp.

Example reps
wk 1: 8,8
wk 2: 6,6
wk 3: 6,5
wk 4: 5,5
wk 5: 5,5
wk 6: 5,5
wk 7: 4,3
wk 8: 3
wk 9: 2
wk 10: comp

For beginner lifters the rep scheme is less important than maintaining form and using mental intensity and a precise focussed setup (In other words, for Christ’s sake it’s only 500 lbs, you’re a big guy, lift the fucking thing!!).

Not related to speed, no…

Okay everyone…

Unload week every 3-4 weeks is for advanced or those who use 1-5reps maximally

I agree with powerlifter in many aspect, your training was…incomplete

I think what powerllifter has for you is fine. My only changes would be to start with a lower rep scheme and include a deload week prior to the meet. I have found that deadlifts over 400lbs. take a toll on everyone, regardless of your level. So…

wk 1: 6,6 @ 6RM
wk 2: 5,5 @ 5RM
wk 3: 5,5 @ 5RM
wk 4: 5,5 @ 5RM
wk 5: 3,3 @ 3RM
wk 6: 3,3 @ 3RM
wk 7: 3,3 @ 3RM
wk 8: 2 @ 2RM
wk 9: 5 x 1 @ 60% of opener, working on form
wk 10: comp

Week 9 lets you do five singles working on your approach, getting set, and executing a clean pull. Working at 60% lets you do this without stressing the CNS, so it acts as a deload. Everyone deloads for meets…there’s a reason for it and I think you should take it easy the week before and focus on form.

Also, You don’t have to wait until competition to make gains in your lifts. If your xRM goes up from week to week, go with the new weight. I.e, if week 5 you squeek by 3,3 at 475, but week 6 you pull your 3,3 with no problem, try 480 x 3 your first set on week 7. If it feels good, do it again. If not, drop back to 475 for the second set of 3.
As for accessory exercises, I would add to Powerlifter’s rack lock out sets, one or two singles (in weeks 4-7 only) from about six inches above the knee with a weight that is 110% - 120% of your opener. These work the last few inches of the lift, working your grip, your finish, and let get you comfortable with a heavy load. Your 1RM won’t feel so ridiculously heavy in competition. You will develop the confidence that if you can just get the bar a few inches above your knees, you can finish the lift.

Finally, I would say that 500lbs. is not a novice lift for a drug-free 18 y.o., it is a respectable lift. You may not win the meet if there are experienced powerlifters there, but you will see many teens that do not go over 500lbs. in that weight class.

Star’s advice is also good. I just liked to bang a set or two of 8 reps before the program got going…

For the poundages each week I would select them during the warmup. You want to be aggressive, ambitious and realistic. Chose weights (based on how you feel) that will be tough yet allow you to get the reps with good form. You don’t want to crash down to only 3 reps on a week that you should get 5. As you head through the weeks you will have an evolving idea of where you might get to.

Yes 500 lbs is a solid weight. It is also around the upper limit of what you might see a body builder lift in a “health club” gym. It doesn’t help to train where 500 lbs is heavy. That’s why I recommend getting 3-4 strong guys to meet for DL every week. At 220 you want 500 to feel like nothing…

As would I, but 9 weeks of training is a little less than I’d like for him to have, so I thought he might need to get right into it.

For the poundages each week I would select them during the warmup. You want to be aggressive, ambitious and realistic. Chose weights (based on how you feel) that will be tough yet allow you to get the reps with good form. You don’t want to crash down to only 3 reps on a week that you should get 5. As you head through the weeks you will have an evolving idea of where you might get to.
More good advice.