Would Plyo's w/ weight be too much compression on the spine?

I havent tried this yet. But someone told me not to because of the compression of the spine. The only Plyo’s I am going to do are:broad jumps, tuck jumps, and bounding, w/ 10%BW.

Depth jumps with added weights are considered bad for the reason you mention, and this might also apply to bounding. But box jumps with hand weights are done fairly often–I’m not recommending this, but I do see it. Plyos where the main impulse comes off a vertical drop are probably things to avoid, especially if you have any injury history.

Another way of doing this: I sometimes do SLJ (1 set of 4-8 jumps) up the incline of a steeplechase pit.

I guess its not safe, since I have had lower back issues before.

10% BW isnt a great deal to handle - but depending on the type of jump it shouldnt be much more than this weight. It also depends on experience and ability, but also what the weight is and where it is distributed - hand weights, bar on the back, my preference for this type of stuff is a weighted jacket.

Not all plyos should be weighted and periodisation etc should be takenm into consideration for when, what and how much weight to be used.

Whenevr you do plyos, the impulse force through the body is multiple times your own body weight (up to 7-8 times?) so is an extra 10% weight gonna make that much difference to the forces experienced?

IMO no, itll end up just unbalancing you and making what are already classed as high risk exercises even more so.

If you really want to increase the load can you not just jump higher?

Yes, I would use a weight vest for plyos with resistance. The thing that paul vaulter said about “why not just jump farther” is that I cant really tell how far Im jumping. And I wouldnt use resistance for box jumps, depth jumps. I would use for broad jumps, bounds, and maybe tuck jumps though