winter workout schedule for those with NO access to indoor track

What do you guys think of the following winter workout schedule for those folks who have NO access to an indoor and cannot run outside winter time (say an average temp of - 20) :slight_smile:

They’ll be forced to travel a couple of hours each way to run meets during the comp season but otherwise can’t train on a track or outdoors

Just curious as to what you’d change and what you think of the program overall.

1 - CNS 1
2 - Pool
3 - CNS 2
4 - Pool
5 - CNS 3
6 - triples
7 - REST

1 - CNS 1 - Max Strength/Plyo/Core
10 minute warmup on bike followed by stretching
3 sets deadlifts (3-5 reps) with set of box jumps in between sets (5 jumps per set total of 3 sets)
3 sets powercleans (3-5 reps)
3 sets of benchpress (3-5 reps)
3 x (situps, hypers, hanging leg raise)
8 minutes on treadmill

2 - Pool
Standing in place drills, easy laps
2 x 10 x 30 second running A’s in deep end with 30 second recoveries

3 - CNS 2 - Strength End/Plyo
warmup on bike, stretching
5 x 20 second partner assisted tows (60 seconds rest between reps)
5 x 20 meter alt leg bounds
3 sets running arms with dumbells for 30 seconds
2 x (ham curl, leg extension)
cooldown

4 - Pool
Standing in place drills, easy laps
2 x 10 x 30 second running A’s in deep end with 30 second recoveries

5 - CNS 3 - Strength/plyo
10 minute warmup on bike followed by stretching
3 sets deadlifts (3-5 reps) with set of box jumps in between sets (5-6 jumps per set, total of 3 sets)
3 sets powercleans (3-5 reps)
3 sets of pushpress (3-5 reps)
8 minutes on treadmill

6 - Triples Circuit
3 x (burpees, situps, pushups)
Rest two minutes
3 x (duck walk, floppy fish, Vsits)
Rest two minutes
3 x (squat jumps, dips, pulldowns)
Rest 5 minutes
3 x 30 second tows
cooldown

7 - REST

-20 degrees?! Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius? Whoa Nellie! Do you live in Siberia!?

haha its hypothetical :slight_smile:

Though we do get a few -10 or colder days here in the GTA

I was just curious about what a good program for a sprinter that has no track access and having the weather too cold to do speed outside.

Cheers,
Chris

I used to run stairs in an apartment complex when the weather wasn’t great. I also used to go in parkades and do sprints on the dry cement when there was ice or snow on the ground. Parkades are sweet! They even have incline parts for hill work.

good stuff :slight_smile:

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Chris

I don’t like the partner assisted tows at all. I would change that and have an acceleration development day. That can easily be done with 20m of room to run. On your third CNS day, I don’t see the point in having the treadmill. It can easily mess up mechanics. I would go back on the bike if a cool down is necessary. Stretching would then be done afterwards.

what specifically do you not like about tows? The treadmill is a walking cooldown not running. (brisk walk) cycling could be easily substituted.

Most athletes I know love tows. Perdita uses them, I have seen other national/olympic caliber athletes use them as well.

They are great for strength endurance

20 meters of room to do speedwork is impossible. You would be 4 steps out and braking hard to hit the wall.

That isn’t to say a speed day couldnt be done but you would need more than 20 meters of space

cheers,
Chris