will a weight vest ruin your running form/mechanics

Why are you so much against speed strength resistance, or resistance at all? Do you believe in weight training? I’m interested in what your experiences are that turned you against these methods of training.

What’s wrong with using a weight vest? I think a weight vest would be useful at times for running and jumping as long as you kept the weight light (around 5-10lbs). If you get a good fitting vest, it’s not going to alter your mechanics to any significant degree. Plus it would keep workouts fun & varied.

Show me any evidence where training with a good-fitting (xvest) 10lb vest occasionally would hurt.

I never said I was entirely against a vest, but the poster, on this forum and others, has posted that he does virtually everything in it, which is why I made the original comment. It was not as much about the vest as it was what the poster has stated in many, many threads now (on different sites). Second, chutes were virtually useless outside. I did not use it inside, but theoretically it might work out better. Even when it felt like there was absolutely no wind, the chute would pull to the left or right or something along those lines, which makes the training pretty useless from the perspective. Also, the chute did not really have any resistance until I was in the upright position, which is where I would generally want the least amount of resistance as it is at the point where I am at maximum velocity. I would rather have a sled, a weight vest, or the IEX so I could work on resisted sprints that work for the whole range, but especially during acceleration and when I am at lower body angles.

I understand your point, and agree that a routine of majority weight vest work is faulty. I also understand your opposition to chutes. Have you tried elastic cords?

on xvest.com it shows Mike Williams (USC wr) using the xvest and elastical cords.

and so i guess ill continue to do 50yard sprints with 10lbs of the weight vest.

here is what i did during spring bread

1. plyos with vest
    2 five 50yard sprints with vest
    3 five 50yard sprints without
    4 plyos without

how would yall rate this program

Here is a link to a study that I found on using weight vests for increasing vertical and 40 yd. dash. It’s not the most sound study, but it is information that is very well presented.

Weight vests and ankle weight study

that was a good article, i like it because athletes from texas used it. TT has mostly just athletes from texas

Davan,

I find your opinion nteresting, and agree that one should not overuse the vest. Would you care to share how you would utilize a vest in training, without overdoing it?

ya, could you post something like SprintSpeed said

plz