Where did Plyo rules come from?

I see many times and have for years that an athlete must be able to squat 2.5x his/her bodyweight orleg press the weight. The difference between a squat and leg press are huge. Is this for a female or a male? I think the whole thing is bs and is a holdout from the weight training will hurt you fears from the past. :confused:

I think most of the 2.5x bodyweight squat recommendations were pointed at high intensity depth jumps (75-100cm).

As long as you have some good base strength and coordination, you should be able to begin hops, skips, and bounds.

I know a lot of athletes that can depth jump that easily but not squat 2.5 BW.

haha yea, I can depth jump 200cm but what is my ground contact time, resultant jump height, and injury probability?

ok let me rephrase that :slight_smile:

I know High jumpers (well over 2 meters) who can depth jump that easily and very reactively but not squat 2.5 X BW

I dont think that guideline is accurate for all bodytypes/activities.

Look at competitive gymnasts, they are some of the most reactive athletes in the world and often do not bother with max effort squats of 2.5 X BW either.

Also, it is commonly a ā€œsquat or leg press.ā€ Well, not a whole lot of recreational lifters can squat 2x-2.5x their bodyweight (That means 450 pounds or more) However, lots of dudes pile on the plates on the old 45 degree leg press.

Yea I hear ya. Where I am, our ā€œleg press recordā€ is like 2200lbs or some garbage. I guarantee you that person cannot squat more than around 400. Also realize that most leg press machines are at 45degrees (inclined/declined)ā€¦not 90degrees (completely vertical or horizontal).

Here is something sad that the University of South Carolina football team used to do: they used the leg press almost exclusively and posted the record on the wall. This was a few coaches ago but I never forgot that or the fact they used a Smith machine for squats. I hate to get off on a tangent but I hate the leg press.

Read in an article that Lou Holtz believed squats were bad for the knees. Im pretty sure Spurrier will get them back on the squats though.

It is bs. Sprinting is a plyometric and each ground contact is = to over 4x your weight. So If that rule were correct nobody should be allowed to sprint until they can lift that magical weight.
This rule may be of value to depth jumps, I am not sure.

Nice post Quikā€¦

Thank you.
Guys am I correct in saying that sprinting is in fact ground contact = to over 4 x your weight or is it more? I cannot remember.

Leg Press is useless. The 2 fastest guys in my gym class (me and some other guy) canā€™t even leg press 200 pounds and the best in our class was 500 pounds (the max on the machine) by some fat kid.

The highest recorded force on the tibial tuberosity during walking, jogging, or running is 14x body weight.

Plyo rules sometimes come from injured athletes and their sad stories!

Many numbers come from great coaches that find patterns through observation. Such patterns are very solid numbers.

What Clemson said.

Those recommendations are from real world observation.

I have heard 1.5x bodyweight as the ā€œline.ā€ It sounds rather arbitrary to me.

Squatting 2.5x your bodyweight is a huge squat, out of reach for a lot of people. For me it would be 475 pounds, which I am a safe distance from right now I can tell you.

My three year old jumps off of objects and over things, and she is holding up fine despite not being able to squat 1.5x her bw.

I think a certain base strength would be very helpful in achieving max results, but I donā€™t know that a absolute line can be drawn.

Has she ever tried to squat 1.5x bodyweight. If she truly canā€™t I would recommend she start doing so. :rolleyes:

Seriously though it amazes me what kids do. My niece jumps as high as possible and lands in a kneeling position. I wonder if this will have long term effects on her knees. It canā€™t be good, but are children so resilient it wonā€™t be a problem?

IĀ“ve just started my plios for the past 2 weeksā€¦
damn, after the weekly session, i got too much pain in my abs :mad: mainly over the rib region.

Were they upwards? On a hill, or of similar nature?