What does running @ 95% feel like?

I don’t have access to timing devices so I’m wondering what it feels like to run at 95%. If I were to do some 30m runs @ 95% would I do a full out start for the first 10 metres then relax for the last 20m? Or is there a better way to think of these run? Does the perceived effort in a 95% run feel alot less then a run at 100%?

i think that would be very individual a feel and sense that you would have to develope on your own as an athlete. the best thing you can do is go out and run and time yourself compare that to your bests, eventually you will know how fast you are at an end of a run without looking at the clock . it is all perception and that something that no one can do for you. good luck.

Is submax sprinting actually used for distances as short as 30m? I thought it was more for top speed drills like flying 20s and distances 60-100m and such.

???

For sure, why wouldn’t you use sub max speed with accelerations. It can often help with correcting technical problems with the start.

I was told to reach 95% all one has to do is run in flats becaus spikes will help you go from 95 - 100%, is this true. When one is trying to achieve 95% is all they have to do is run in flats? can you achieve 95% in flats?

Thoughts, suggestions.

The 10 day taper proposed in the CFTS uses quite a few 95% 30m runs.

I was told to reach 95% all one has to do is run in flats becaus spikes will help you go from 95 - 100%, is this true. When one is trying to achieve 95% is all they have to do is run in flats? can you achieve 95% in flats?

This may be true in that you will run at 95% of your best time (depending on your particular trainer) but you will still be applying 100% effort to achieve this.

The point of the sub max runs is sub max effort, if what you are saying were true it would mean doing tempos would involve running flat out but with a weighted sled slowing you down to 70% of your top speed :stuck_out_tongue:

Just to clarify, this is not how to do tempos.