weights followed by jumps...

I´m thinking of maybe combine heavy weights (low reps) with jump/plyowork, but can´t decide what scenario to use.
I was thinking to choose between three ways:

1: e.g jumps between each n´every set. E.g squat+squatjumps (rest)squat+squatjumps(rest)and so on….

2: complete heavy weights, and then end the seassion with jumps etc…like two blocks.

1. Do it on diffirence days, like weights day 1 and 4 or5, then have one jump/plyo seassion day 6, perhaps after track.

Exercises will be jumpsquats, push-up depthjumps, “calf-raisejumps” or similar…weights are majors… squats, oly´s, bench+complementry.

Thoughts, experience, knowledge?

Complex training hasn’t been good for me (squat+plyos, squat+plyos, etc); haven’t try the others, but 90% i am doing weights after track, so plyos at the end of the session… no thanks!

as for the other you said, why not doing the plyos before the track session vs. after? just personal preference… get the explosive stuff out of the way -not that plyos post-workout can’t work, depending on session, too (e.g., accel perhaps ???)

hope it helps!

Thanks for the input Nikolouski. I haven´t made my mind up yeat, if doing at all.
It´s just that I felt stiff and heavy this last season and maybe it´s because of to much maxstrength or may to little trackwork that should have transfer it to explosivnes.
Have thought of doing bodyweight excercises, but I like lifting weigths, and I don´t know if bodyweights would work as well for stimulation of the CNS.
People probably react differently to strengthwork, and as I wrote I like weightwork, but to tell the truth, my best results have come during seasons where I did very little strenghtwork at all, but more jumps and bounds.
Maybe the issue is to find what really works for the induviduell athlete, there are so many ways…Ben Johnson, Carl Lewis, Allan Wells, Michael Johnson, Jesse Owens etc…
But the problem is, you really dosen´t have time to try it all… :rolleyes:

of course, it’s an individual thing and there is no time to try everything ( :frowning: ), but you seem to have at least an idea of what works for you!

just go with it! you may have to sacrifice your enjoyment of weight-work, but if performance gets better…

What are your stats? Weights, squat, clean, speed, jump etc? The reason I ask is cause in my experience that won’t work very well if you are “stronger” then you are “fast”.

“Strong and Fast” is the same thing. The main point is the stronger/faster you are, the more force you put out from faster fatiguing (white)fibre- so for top people, speed, then plyos, then weights. Additionally, the higher the output, the longer the stimulus is maintained (days vs minutes or hours).

could poor structure and planning be to blame for ur feeling stiff and heavy? As I remember those are syptoms of CNS overeaching and fatigue…

I had a lift a couple weeks ago that was like your first scenario: 2x full back squats heavy but exploding up, followed immediately by 6 explosive tuck jumps- did several sets with fairly long recoveries. Not really sure I noticed any particular effect.
Last year I used squat jumps during peaking which worked great as an explosive trigger.

That’s always the first place to look when there’s a problem.

It may work depending on your degree of development. If you are still learning, it helps for sure.

It depends on what your goal is! Complex training in accordance with doing wts first then plyo’s is a grey area. Of what I have heard you should never go really heavy and then do plyo’s but you can do 40-60% rougly with wts and then do plyo’s I will post more on this subject tomorrow bc right now its time to hit the nightclubs!

Could be, due to time, work, facilities, eqiuptment and so on, I can´t always do what I would like to do.
This means, sometimes doing intensive stuff two days a row, even I don´t like it.
But some weeks it´s that or loose a couple of trainingdays… :frowning:
But know I´m getting hold of a bar+weights to put in my sellar, could do basic like clens, squats, but don´t have a bench yet.
This means I could start doing weights after track, but this means traveling back from track 10-15 min…
Also from my “pb-season”, some years back :eek: up to last year I´ve gained almost 10 kg bodyweight of muscles, (started to lift weights and eat more properly) than ever and now I lost 6 of thoose 10 the last 12 months though, maybe this could be a reason to, that I did to much raw strenght than power, but I´ve not often used more than 3-5 reps during sets, so that should stimulate the fast twitch, even the lift are slow and heavy, right?

yes, it will stimulate max force development, sprinting is supposed to be the conversion, why not post an example week along with justification like i did in my journal?

Charlie,
I was wondering if this type of work (complex training) falls into the whole trying to focus too much on velocity/ground contact in the wrong setting? Could the gains Krasnayafleur felt have been more the result of a taper and not squat jumps?

How do you define “Complex”? You are thinking of containing the stimulus effect to one training day, but, as training advances, both the amplitude and period of the stimulus wave are increased in lock-step beyond minutes or hours to days. So, perhaps, the weight session following a speed session directly stimulates the sprint session to follow in 2 days.
As for Krasnayafleur, I don’t know the specifics, but, perhaps Clemson can answer.

I was referring to the squat/plyo combinations performed in a weightroom-like setting. How does it help an athlete who is still learning and what order do you put speed, plyos, weights in for this level athlete?

I think what Charlie’s saying is that for a beginner athlete, the rate of adaptation to stimuli is so quick that one can see improvements in plyo exercise from adaptation to a lifting exercise performed only minutes or hours prior. As the athlete becomes more advanced and the weight in that particular lift goes up, the athlete will need more time to recover from that exercise, meaning that the next plyo session will come days after that lifting session, not minutes or hours.