weighted vest and improving vertical leap

hey i had a question how should one go about using a weight vest during season ill be gettting a 0-40lb vest. I heard ricky davis used a weight vest and did jumping drills in it then imedatly after he lifted weights he did this 3x week i heard in 2x weeks he could dunk after this. This was when he was younger, this article was in a newspaper bout 3 yrs ago cause i talked with one person then asked another person and they were saying o yea i rember that article so it is true. Just wanted your thoughts and oppinons please respond back asap thankyou conrad

There are a few different avenues which are suitable for the employment of the vest during jump drills.

In regards to furthering the expression of ‘jumping skill’, I recommend that you do not use a weight vest that inhibits your jump heigth any more than 10%. So for example: If you jump 30in than you would not want to wear a vest that decreases your perfomance any more than 3in. Utilizing a lighter vest, as per this example, would be an SPP application, as sport skill is allowed to be perfected as well as strengthened.

I view this as being analogous to a thrower using a shot that is greater in mass than the competition shot. Any significant change in mass will negatively affect throwing mechanics, thereby, teaching faulty motor patterns.

Now, as far as using a significantly heavier weighted vest for strengthening the legs/hip extension; in this case you are not using the vest to perfect sport skill, per se, but rather as a general means of strengthening.

I feel that it is important to make the distinction between a general means and a special means.

A few tests that may help you to determine your strengths/weaknesses are as follows:

squat 1RM
CMJ (counter movement jump)
Depth jump (if you are sufficiently prepared)
Static jump, no counter movement, from 3/4 squat seated position (off a tall chair or bench, etc)

Your results on these tests will give you a good idea as to where, along the curve, you need to focus.

You basically want to consider your reactive ability weighed against your ability to produce max force.

so ur also saying bout 10 percent of body weight like 15lbs probally right around 3 inches or so.

I suggest the 10% of performance decrease, not bodyweight. Meaning, test your VJ, and then put on the vest and retest each time you add weight. Once, your jump performance suffers by 10% or more than you would cease to add weight. Again, this would be an SPP application, not an optimal means of general strength development. Keep in mind that I myself have not utilized this method, it is simply an idea.

Charlie has suggested that the use of any external resistance when sprinting should not negatively affect sprint times by more than 10%, so this is where I am getting 10%.

I believe that Zatsiorsky has stated that shot putters have an even less percentage margin for using heavier shots, although I do not recall the percentages.

I believe that Zatsiorsky has stated that shot putters have an even less percentage margin for using heavier shots, although I do not recall the percentages.[/QUOTE]

yes shotputter as well as hammer throwers will use an 18lb weight in order to develop specific throwing strength.

One factor to consider is the extra loading when you land. Don’t want to go too heavy for this reason also.

For shotputters, I was thinking that a lighter, not heavier, shot is the way to go. Shotputters often handle 500lbs in the bench, even a lesser athlete can push 150+ with their throwing arm; seems to me it’s speed that most needs development, sort of like WSB’s use of 60%1RM on DE day. So a 14 lb. shot? Don’t wanna get too off-thread, here, so let’s turn back to jumping: how about de-weighted jumping? Is this any good?

As far as the weighted shot goes; we must remember that by either lessening or increasing the mass of the slight, ever so slightly, the thrower is still able to perfect sport skill. Hence, the work is being done within the parameters of SPP. Anything performed with a significantly heavier implement, or in the weight room, is GPP. Additionally, many of the great throwers, as well as coaches (eg Bondarchuk) in history have used or recommended using, slightly heavier/lighter shots in training so the efficacy of such measures is clearly justified.

As far as lightened jumping, this is something that I made reference to on DB’s former forum. This may be achieved through the use of flex bands secured to an overhead position, much like reverse band work. Again, however, the bands would have to reduce the atletes mass ever so slightly. Any significant decrease in mass and now the athlete is unable to perfect sport skill.

I do feel that there may be an application in there somewhere. Who’s going to try it first.LOL

i think what i will do is wear 20lbs all the time untill body thinks its to easy then go up the weight maybe 15 ill start at 10 percent of body weight is lil moe then 15lbs so ill use that. I hear good things and bad things mostly good im just gonna do it and say hell with it with stress on ligiments etc i just gonna do it and see what happens thanks all for your help

Yes it was bondarshuk who used the three ball system(14-16-18 with his hammer throwers. Many coaches have found success with this approach combined with the GPP in the weightroom. I know there are a few american coaches who use the three ball system for the shot put and even a heavy/light system for the disk.

I recommend weightbelt if you can get one. Weight vest often are ofter uncomfortable, and you sweat a hell of a lot, therefore they are difficult to clean. www.JumpUsa.com has some good stuff about why a weight belt is better, but I would get it somewhere else since it costs a lot there.