treadmill??

The weather has been very cold/snowy/shitty and I unfortunately do not have access to an indoor track.

I am thinking about incorporating the following before and after my weight workouts (4-5 days a week)

Couple of sample treadmill workouts

10 x 60 seconds at 12mph with 40 second recoveries zero incline

15 x 30 second at 12mph with 30 second recoveries at 3% incline

I also hit plyos, circuits and partner assisted tows during the week as well as weights.

Looking for a winter workout schedule that will help gain fitness and running form until the weather gets better and I can hit a proper GPP outdoors. Basically an extended accumulation phase

Here is a basic breakdown of a typical winter training week:

1 - Legs/core/intervals
warmup
4 sets squats
3 sets stepups
3 x (ham curl, leg extension, calf raise)
med ball work
interval treadmill work

2 - upper body 1 weights/core
treadmill warmup
4 sets bench
3 sets incline bench
3 sets dips
ab work (10 sets)
cooldown

3 - strength endurance/circuits
treadmill warmup
partner assisted tows (5 x 15 seconds)
Circuit triples (3 x 3 exercises) x 3
cooldown

4 - upper body 2 weights/intervals
treadmill warmup
4 sets deadlifts
3 sets hangcleans
3 sets standing shoulder press
3 sets chins
interval treadmill work

5 - recovery/core
tempo on treadmill

6 - Intervals/plyos
treadmill warmup
various bounding (alt leg, double leg hops etc)
interval treadmill work
cooldown

7 - REST

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Chris

Personally I avoid treadmills like the plague. It’s really more of a superstition than anything, but I always feel that running on them would screw up my natural running mechanics, and screw up my force application on real ground. I have nothing scientific to back any of this up, and it might not even be true, but I prefer to use large volume bodyweight circuits as a replacement for tempo during the winter months.

treadmills- they disengage the hamstrings. Stay away.

NV,
can you elaborate? thanx.

12 mph on a treadmill? LOL, raise the incline.

Think about the motion. the treadmill is doing the work for your hamstrings, Its doing your pulling. I know some people that purchased them at a school and had there kids use them for the winter. When they got out to run normally on a hard surface there hamstrings could not handle that force and pulled. Now they say that money spent was a wayste.

Its slow but that is the fastest it’ll go LOL!

Charlie has mentioned treadmills as replacements for tempo/intervals when the weather is bad and there is no access to an indoor track.

I’d be interested to hear his thoughts on this.

true. impact on neg foot speed. i actually did a research paper on kinematic differences of high speed treadmill training for anyone interested.

I am interested to hear your findings

Basically I am wondering if treadmill running is better than no running at all for a 6-8 week period till the weather warms up.

That is what it boils down to :slight_smile:

There is no dynamic component to stationary bike riding whatsover and I want to develop lactate tolerance as well.

Cheers,
Chris

check out this article I found

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/treadmill.html

Check out-

http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=4558&page=2&pp=15

Ingrid Kristiansen of Norway has spoken of running substantial hours during the winter months on treadmills. Heard her say so back in the mid-1980s in Oslo after she set a 10,000 record at Bislett. Treadmill would have to be significantl;y better than riding a stationary bike as an alternative to running.

Let me know when you can Quik.

I would agree with her there. I think the bike is a wayste, unles you have nothing esle to use, or you are just really trying to get off your feet to get blood flowing. Commonly misused by hockey players too.

That article hits some good points.

Re: Cycling for Track

In 1987 a woman I had coached to run 400m in sub 52sec took up training with her boyfriend, a world class cyclist who told her that their energy system requirements were basically the same and therefore he may as well coach her under the system he was using. He was a world championship time trial medallist, aiming to break the minute (I think).

She trained very hard and turned out for her national 400m championship, strangely, her first race of the year and the last on the domestic season calendar for 1986/1987.

She was the defending national title-holder, but clocked 55sec and was unplaced.

It is clear that whatever else she did in training, the bike super-imposed mechanics on her and when she stepped out to sprint, it didn’t take long for the hammies to wilt. It was the most embarrassing performance I have witnessed, very unfortunate for her, but a good lesson in training-specificity.

Then again, if you’re forced by injury or whatever to unload for a while but to maintain training, then doing some work on a bike can be useful - as a support, but not as a substitute for running.

Thanks Tom, I checked that out last night.

It appears that treadmill running will be better than bike running at least. Not ideal by any means but ok.

For an extended accumulation period (~6 weeks) do you think it’ll be ok?

I am heading to australia/NZ for three weeks so I’ll have plenty of running opportunities down under :slight_smile:

actually it’s really fast at least in my experience.

Last year, someone posted a link to another study. The information was GREAT. If someone still has that link, could they post it? :cool:

It would be great if someone have any formula on how to calculate treadmill work for tempo for any given time.