Tights on Ice

Top set of single-leg depth jumps from today’s session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vESPo5rE58c

Those jumps look tough. Nice job as usual!

Thanks John. I’ve had a 38" vertical leap off of one foot in the past (@ around 195 lbs), and I’d like to pass that up this summer, just for fun. I’m not much of a basketball player, but dunking in pickup games is always fun.

January 18th, 2009
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
I feel absolutely great. I couldn’t wait to train.

Warm Up:
Some RW Drills

Some activation drills

Workout:
Single-Leg RFI (focusing on the feet)
8 sets

Broad Jumps onto Boxes
About 25 total
Worked up to a 40" box from 72" away

1 & 1/2 Rep Back Squats
2 x 5 @ 295 lbs, 240 sec. rest

Single-Leg RDLs
2 x 8 (per leg) @ 115 lbs, 120 sec. rest

Ab Work

Cool Down:
Mild plyos

Notes:
Everything went great today. I did notice that my left foot is a little weaker than my right, but that’s been a problem for a while and I’m working to bring it around.

The jumps were high, fast, and easy; the squats were challenging but doable; and the RDLs might have been a little heavy. Besides some minor tweaking though, I like the format I’ve taken to training in.

January 23rd, 2010
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
Feeling good. I’m working out with a couple friends today at the school gym. Can’t work too hard though, we have a party to go to.

Warm Up:
Light Squats

Workout:
1 & 1/2 Rep Back Squats
2 x 5 @ 305 lbs, 240 sec. rest

Machine Hamstring Curls
2 x 10 @ full weight stack, 120 sec. rest

DB Military Presses
3 x 10 @ 120 lbs, ? sec. rest

Chin Ups, Muscle Ups, One-Arm Eccentrics
Lots

Cool Down:
Nothing

Notes:
No plyos today because I didn’t want to wear myself out and I didn’t really have my usual setup, but lifting went well. Squatting in a real rack with a straight bar is awesome, as is doing chins on a bar that doesn’t swing. I could get used to actually having nice facilities.

Overall, I felt strong. I went up 10 lbs on my squats from last session because I didn’t want to hunt for 2.5. They were hard, but doable. Machine hamstring curls let me know my hamstrings are indeed plenty strong (repping the entire stack was no problem at all). And the upper body work was fun.

January 27th, 2010
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
I’m feeling damn good today. No reason why, I just feel good.

Warm Up:
Some RW Drills

Some activation drills

Workout:
6 sets

Broad Jumps onto Boxes
About 25 total
Worked up to a 40" box from 72" away

ADA Drops
10 @ 36"

1 & 1/2 Rep Back Squats
2 x 5 @ 315 lbs, 240 sec. rest

Single-Leg RDLs
1 x 10 (per leg) @ 95 lbs, 120 sec. rest

Ab Work

Cool Down:
Mild plyos

Notes:
Well, I wasn’t supposed to be using 315 for my squats for another week, but I’ve taken 10 lb jumps the last two sessions. Last session I did it because I didn’t want to hunt for 2.5s. This session I did it because I couldn’t stand the thought of loading the bar to 310 lbs. No matter, I got both sets without too much trouble. I could tell I’d advanced too fast though. I would be much more comfortable with the weight had I worked up to it at the pace I’d intended.

Beyond that, my jumps, drops, and RFI work all felt nice and fast. I feel energized right now, rather than tired. I do have to say my glutes are going to be sore tomorrow. The squats really did a number on them.

Here’s a clip of my first set of 1 1/2 squats:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw0mKPC31nk

We put up a basketball hoop in my Dad’s warehouse. I just finished shooting around and I felt like testing my vertical leap at the end. My legs are still a little sore from yesterday, but I managed to hit 33" from a standstill. I weighed 218 in clothes and shoes when I did it. The last time I jumped this high I was quad-dominant as hell and weighed ~195 lbs.

On the other hand, though my strength is up, my reactivity is way down. My running leaps are only like 2" higher than my standing vert, whereas they used to be like 5" higher. I also did a few reps of depth jumps and they were like 1.5" lower than my CMJ. Just more evidence that I need to reintroduce depth jumps some time soon.

January 30th, 2010
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
Not quite at 100%, but I’m close. Those jumps two days ago (right after a lower body session) wore me out more than I’d intended.

Warm Up:
Some RW Drills

Some activation drills

Workout:
6 sets

VJ to SS ADA Drops
4 sets x 4 reps (2 per leg), 180 sec. rest

Back Squats (to rock bottom)
1 set x 5 reps @ 365 lbs (easy), 180 sec. rest

1 & 1/2 Rep Back Squats (to rock bottom)
1 set x 5 reps @ 295 lbs, ? sec. rest

RDLs
2 sets x 15 reps @ 185 lbs, 120 sec. rest

Ab Work

Cool Down:
Mild plyos

Notes:
Well, like I said, the jumps wore me out. My left foot wasn’t feeling too good and so I had to cut the plyo volume a little short. Still, I like the VJ to SS ADAs. My form is much better than the last time I did these. I’m really focusing on proper pelvic position upon landing.

After that, the weights were surprising. 365 lbs felt nice and easy on my legs, but my back wasn’t quite so lucky. I haven’t had more than 315 on my back in a while (due to 1 1/2 squats) and so while my legs were more than strong enough to rep the weight, my spinal erectors (mostly around the thoracic area) were toasted after a single set. That one set also told me that my glutes are significantly stronger than my quads. Neither “problem” really concerns me though.

Post squats, I just did a little more work while letting my back take it easy. Next session I’m going back to 1 1/2 squats while dropping the weight down and working my way back up. I hope to peak at about 335 for sets of 5 within a month, and then start over.

February 1st, 2010
Total Body Focus

Condition:
I feel good. My back was a little tired yesterday, but it’s fine today.

Warm Up:
Screwing around on the machines

Workout:
Hang Power Snatches (close-ish grip, high hang, really snappy)
3 x 5 @ 135 lbs, rest varied

Box Jumps
15-20 total reps, rest varied

Leg Curls
1 x 15 w/the whole weight stack (easy)

Lots of random bodybuilding crap

Cool Down:
None

Notes:
My friends wanted to hit the gym after school today. I wasn’t supposed to train again until Wednesday, but I wanted to have some fun. Nothing too strenuous, overall.

My upper body is weaker than I’d like it to be. As always though, I know I’m only 4-6 weeks away from throwing up some huge numbers. We’ll see if I can stick with it this time. I just don’t like all the extra weight upper body lifting slaps on me.

February 3rd, 2010
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
I’m feeling great. My shoulders are a bit sore, but otherwise I’m fine.

Warm Up:
Some BW movements and light snatches

Workout:
Hang Power Snatches (close-ish grip)
6 x 3 @ (135, 145, 155, 155, 155, 155) lbs, 120 sec. rest

Depth Jumps
2 x 5 @ 18", 180 sec. rest
2 x 5 @ 24", 180 sec. rest

Back Squats (deep and fast)
3 x 3 @ (315, 365, 365) lbs, 180 sec. rest

Some rows and DB OHP

Abs

Cool Down:
None

Notes:
Working out in my school gym continues to be awesome. I just can’t get over having real equipment and straight bars.

All in all, snatches were fast and easy. Depth jumps were smooth and ridiculously springy. And the squats were a piece of cake. I think I’m going to start upping my frequency from here on out. Should be fun.

February 5th, 2010
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
My traps are sore and my hands are ground meat. I feel great though.

Warm Up:
Some BW movements and light snatches

Workout:
Hang Power Snatches (close-ish grip)
Worked up to 155 lbs x 3 before hands made me quit, 120 sec. rest

4 x 3 @ (315, 375, 375, 315) lbs, 180 sec. rest

Depth Jumps
3 x 5 @ 18", 180 sec. rest

Hamstring Curls
1 x 15 w/ the whole stack

Upper Body Bodybuilding Junk

Abs

Cool Down:
None

Notes:
At the school gym again. Snatches were going up nice and fast, but my hands are torn up. I neglected to ease myself in last session and I’m paying for it. I probably shouldn’t do any Olys until they heal up.

After that, squats were a piece of cake and depth jumps were nice and easy. I’m going to wait until Monday to train again. I’m looking forward to it already.

February 8th, 2010
Total Body Focus

Condition:
My mid back has been sore for days and still is, but only a little. Otherwise, I’m feeling awesome.

Warm Up:
Some BW movements

Broad Jumps on to Boxes

SL RFI work

Workout:
3 x 3 @ (315, 385, 385) lbs, 180 sec. rest

Depth Jumps
1 x 5 @ 18", 180 sec. rest
2 x 5 @ 24", 180 sec. rest

SL RDLs
1 x 10 per leg @ 100 lbs, 60 sec. rest

Hamstring Curls
1 x 10 w/ the whole stack

Abs

Cool Down:
Kips and a few other gymnastic movements

Notes:
Awesome day today. I’ve never had 385 lbs on my back before, and I managed to squat it for a couple easy-ish sets of 3. Things were routine other than that. Squats are hitting my glutes quite nicely, but I need more p-chain volume.

Oh, and when I was doing BB junk I managed to DB military press 70s for a set of 10. I’ve never done that before. Not much in the way of pulling though, because my hands are still healing up.

Good work :cool:

Thanks John. I want to push for 405 for reps, but I need to take it slowly.

Congrats on the strength gains but I’m curious why you can’t do any general fitness stuff mb circuits etc.

Thanks. I do general strength things like jumps and gymnastics moves, but you’re right, I do almost no conditioning. I honestly have no good reason, I’m just being lazy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Having said that, I’ve recently bumped my training frequency up from around ever 4 days to around every 2, so adding conditioning will have to wait for a little while. As soon as I get acclimated to my new setup I’ll add in conditioning work. In the mean time, some activation and mobility circuits should help.

February 10th, 2010
Total Body Focus

Condition:
I feel good. Glutes are a tiny bit fatigued, but I feel strong overall.

Warm Up:
Some BW movements

Broad Jumps on to Boxes

SL RFI work

Workout:
Depth Jumps
1 x 5 @ 18", 180 sec. rest
1 x 5 @ 24", 180 sec. rest

Power Snatches (index fingers on rings)
1 x 3 @ (135, 155, 165, 175, 185) lbs, 120 sec. rest

3 x 3 @ (315, 385, 315) lbs, 180 sec. rest

Abs

Cool Down:
Nothing

Notes:
Nice and fun today. Snatches weren’t bad, but I needed to watch out for my hands. No chalk, so grip was the big limiter. On squats, I gave blood this morning and I was already a bit tired by the time I got around to them, so I only did 1 set at 385 lbs. I could have done another, but there’s no need to push it.

When doing upper body, 70s for 10 on military press was easier than last time. Curls were fun too. I like having DBs at my disposal.

Have you considered using straps on snatches?

Yes. I even bought straps for that purpose. Unfortunately, I can only find one of them. :stuck_out_tongue:

February 12th, 2010
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
This increased training frequency is wearing me down, especially since it has been test week at school too. I feel good though.

Warm Up:
Some BW movements

SL RFI work

Workout:
Depth Jumps
2 x 5 @ 19", 180 sec. rest

Power Snatches (index fingers on rings)
5 x 3 @ (135, 155, 175, 200, 155) lbs (PR), 180 sec. rest

1 1/2 Rep Back Squats (deep and under control)
3 x 3 @ (335, 315, 315) lbs, 240 sec. rest

Abs

Cool Down:
light plyos

Notes:
Well, I had four tests this week and quite a few assignments too, but I managed to get enough sleep and keep the gains coming, even with my increased training frequency. Since I wouldn’t be training again until Monday, I decided to go big this session.

Even though I was back at home on my bent bar, I decided to go for a power snatch PR. As you can see from above, 200 lbs for 3 reps, without resetting. I had plenty in the tank too. I’m finally starting to get strong.

After that, squats were hard. I was just too tired to put any oomph into them. Oh well, everything went smoothly and I’m happy with the way things are going.

Here’s a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ke97RycRM