Tights on Ice

December 2nd, 2009
Lower Body Focus

Condition:
Finals are afoot and I’m a little worn out. My legs and mid back are also still fatigued. I was sleepy, but I caught a nap after dinner. I feel good, just like always.

Warm Up:
Some RW Drills

Some activation drills (mostly non-tripods)

Some light plyos

Workout:
Power Cleans
Worked up to 300 lbs x 1 (PR by default), rest varied

Back Squats (close stance, full ROM)
1 set x 14 reps @ 315 lbs (+1 rep PR)

Ab Rollouts, Levers, Etc.
Whatever

Cool Down:
Some more activation drills

Mild plyos

Notes:
At the risk of sounding repetitive, Woohoo!!!

Even though I was tired today, I got a wild hair and tried power cleans for pretty much the first time in my life (other than an odd single here or there to get a bar into a rack). As you can see. 300 lbs baby! And I did it on a crappy bent bar too. With a bar that I can actually whip my elbows though with, I could do much more.

Oh, and to my buddy fogelson: Haha, wrong! :smiley:
You thought 285 would give me a hard time, but without even practicing the lift I just got 300 lbs. Seriously though, no hard feelings, but I did beat 285 lbs on my first attempt. 300!

After that, I was feeling pretty confident so I went for a rep PR on squats. I only made it to 14 reps, but that’s one more than I did 4 days ago, so I can’t complain. Things are going so well right now. Winter break is soon, and then I should really be able to kick things into gear.

Here’s a link to both PRs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9YQKpfOVE

Good work, :cool: gotta ask though whats up with the no shirt vids? :confused:

Damn man you are stronger then me, wish I could power clean 300.

Thanks.
As for an explanation, I rarely work out with a shirt on. I guess I find some sort of psychological edge in being shirtless. Stupid, I know, but it helps with my confidence.

And RB34, you can PC more than 300 lbs, can’t you?

No, probably like 255. I haven’t gone over 230 this year, I have decided to drop ol’s for now and stick with jump squats and pause jump squats.

Nice work man!

Nice work, RJ!

Impressive stuff, man. What would you estimate your Squat Max to be?

On 28 November he put Almost at my goal of 315 x 15. When I can manage that, my projected squat will be about 2.25x bodyweight. personally I struggle to correlate a 15rm to a 1rm.

Thanks fogelson, thanks John, and thanks Python.

And Python, and other John (kind of), it is hard to put a 15RM to a 1RM, as a 1RM involves much more skill, but my projected max is somewhere around 460-465 lbs. I sure as Hell couldn’t do 460 right now, but I could after a little practice with heavier weights. Also, as demonstrated by the PC, the strength seems to be there, so high rep work apparently isn’t all bad.

I don’t know if more skill is necessarily how I would describe it. They are different and I wasn’t meaning to downplay 315 x 14 as that is a great achievement that I wish I could do. I guess what I was meaning is that to me it is like using an 800m to project a 60m time.

I don’t think that is a very similar comparison, John, because of the huge energetic differences between a 60m and an 800m. There is much less variation between a 1rm and a 15rm than a 60m and an 800m. I’ve noticed the exact same things as RJ WRT this. The only caveat I would add is that the squat is somewhat different since you are supporting a lot of weight on your spine, which makes it a bit different from a deadlift or other exercises that do not have this requirement.

Power clean is unbelievable. You should have bet your dad $100s on that instead of running 11.00 or whatever. I cannot comprehend that you cleaned 300 with like 0 practice.

Like fogelson said, a 1RM and a 14RM are not actually that far apart. One takes 3-4 seconds, the other takes ~45. Much closer to a 60-400 comparison, and 400 guys can usually run a damn fast 60.

The only real difference, disregarding energetics, is neuromuscular coordination specific to the task (lifting a heavy single). All of the other physical qualities of strength (muscle fiber volume, tendon volume/stiffness, etc.) are still there.

Thanks.

And haha, yeah, I should have. If bobsled doesn’t work out, maybe I’ll have a career in OLY lifting. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

it was an example and of course as with everything you will know best. :rolleyes:

John, I am speaking from experience on the matter. It just isn’t that different. I’ve used protocols very similar to what RJ is using with very large improvements in max strength as defined by 1RM. Talking 2x BW bench press and powerclean and more. Maybe you should try them instead of what you’re doing now? It could help out for athletes in your situation.

Actually John, I’m with fogelson 100% here too. I’ve been following your log for a while and, no offense, but your overall volume seems too low for someone with your strength levels. Working on submax sets of 6-12 would really help slap some muscle onto your frame and build a base.

If you want to get faster, it’ll probably require some more muscle on your glutes and hamstrings.

If we get back to the point I was trying to make which was comparing 15rm and 1rm. Any powerlifter will tell you they are chalk and cheese and different expressions of strength.

In my case you may well be right and thank you for your interest. I actually increased part of my weights program which was using Joe Kenn’s Tier setup a few months ago to where in part I was doing up to 12 reps. I believe that has led to some strength gains and I will probably use a similar or higher procedure next winter (summer here now). That said the weight room is additional and supplementary to other work.

why were you so confident you would get 285 having never cleaned before? 300 is impressive, but where did you come up with that number? Whats that say about the need for cleans in your program if you already have that type of strength? Maybe they arent magic after all?