The Prowler!

well, this is a track forum. :wink:

I do not use the damn prowler, please read.

You will after you open my x-mas present.

i’m just saying that there’s alot more to be gained from other modualities of training than pushing this thing, regardless of whether it’s a 100m guy or a shotputter.

as an aside: i’m pretty sure there are sleds that are better designed and built.

Prowler? Try pilates: Pilates

how bout this big toy? :slight_smile:

Since you agree that this device is not suited for track athletes, here are some additional facts that may crystallize your views.

1- Increased contact times
2- Significant change in hip, knee, foot angles
3- Modifying mechanics during acceleration will negatively effect max speed

I am saying that you are not anymore likely to blow up using this device versus sprinting top speed on a mondo track or doing hill sprints like a lot of people here

Yes this device will clearly increase the risk of injury, especially in comparison with hill work or max speed sessions. Hills & top end speed work are relatively safe activities if they are integrated within a well structured program. In comparison this device places increased forces at the ankle joint.

stilll doesnt mean much till you use one.

Sometimes reason has precedence over rediculous experiment. I have listed numerous reasons why this exercise should be avoided. Reason alone tells us that this equipment is fraught with potential disaster. Do you think John Smith, CF, Dan Paff or Lance Brauman would use this exercise with sub 10s performers? There lies your answer.

what if i say there are some sec schools who do?

Your post has nothing to do with what I said. How about we compare number of injuries that happen every year at the world champs in the 100/200 only versus the number of injuries that happen with the Prowler?

Some basic lessons in statistics might be prudent. Comparing the overall number of injuries at world champs (100/200) v injuries with the Prowler are statistically flawed.

• The sample size will greatly differ the number of athletes that use the Prowler v elite sprinters at worlds.

• The sample cross section will consist of the different standards of athletes. Average high schools athletes use the Prowler in comparison at world champs the cross of athletes are the very elite.

No valid statistical inference could be made between the groups because the sample size & cross sections are from very differing groups.

You are right–the number of people using the prowler greatly outnumber those making the world champs!

• The sample cross section will consist of the different standards of athletes. Average high schools athletes use the Prowler in comparison at world champs the cross of athletes are the very elite.
    Some of DeFrancos athletes are very good and to be honest, could rival quite a few of the non-American and non-Caribbean athletes over short distances.

No valid statistical inference could be made between the groups because the sample size & cross sections are from very differing groups.

You have no basis for your opinions! You know of one guy that pushed hurdles that had an achilles injury while running. DeFrancos group is not just some crap high school kids. Heck, looking at Ross’s recent times, some of them are even faster!

Thats some real superfluous crap.

I am not talking about my opinions but rather statistical validity. Maybe you should look it up & you might learn something. You’re obviously not very familiar with the subject. Valid statistical inference requires similar sample cross section in order to make meaning conclusions.

…

Where are you injury statistics on the Prowler or related devices?

You’re no statistics expert, so stop. Indisputably, it would not “infinitely damage the Achilles tendon and Soleus.”

I was there the day this video was shot and have trained with the athlete that did the drill. The drill was basically just a toughness drill that the athlete choose to participate in to test his mental toughness. The kid is a wrestler and kind of hard headed. As a football player he greatly improved his short sprint times and has a pretty impressive 10 yard sprint time for a HS quarterback in PA. Joe is definetly not in favor of killing his athletes and has had a big impact on the young man in this video in regards to the less is more mentality. Here is a video of this kid coming out of his 40 stance working out with defranco into a drill fromhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8YRnpy8Jl4. See what you think of his starting mechanics as for football player?