The best way to improve speed

What would the forum suggest as the best way to improve max speed in elite level athletes?
I would vote for overspeed training and frequency drills. What about you…?

There would never be an air resistance of zero. Even if a tail wind of an athletes foward moving limb speed could be found, there would be air resistance against hip and shoulder extension. This much wind would surely cause very altered sprint patterns anyway.

If overspeed does have benefit, only a slight tailwind would be needed to enable faster limb velocity.

A very slight grade with a perfectly flat, high quality surface might be OK but where would you find something like that? The best alternative is to sprint with a strong tailwind where possible.

Originally posted by Charlie Francis
When being towed, the athlete is being pulled into the ground farther ahead of his CM, which leads to a lower hip position, increasing ground contact time and increasing the likelyhood of injury in the lower hamstring area.

Charlie, you’re talking always about being towed. I do agree with you in that repsect. My question - is there a difference between being towed (a big no no!) AND sprinting on a slight downhill grade (0.5% or 1%)??? Considering it would be an impreceivable difference could it not have benefits?

Derek

I met Gia a couple of times at the request of her physio to try to help with a back injury- I never trained her however. (she was an Olympic lifter as well)

yes that is… i didnt know she bobsleds though…

Q, is that THE Gea Johnson, former heptathlete and current bobsleder (90kg snatch)? If so, she is awesome. What an athlete!

Why not bounding for stride length and quick leg drills for frequency, etc.?

What are quick leg drills?

Thanks,

xlr8

Sorry - just imagined being towed downhill wearing a parachute :sing:
Parascending - Had to share lol

charlie,
just wanted to tell you shawn wilboune says hi. hes my coach,
he said him and his athlete Gia Johnson worked with you in 2000 for 2 months i believe.

Because:
1: Overspeed doesn’t work, because only ground contact time matters- and it is INCREASED by towing.
2: The only thing that will get killed is you.
(Please read the 7.5 sec thread for the stride length vs frequency link from T-Mag)

im going to go take a look at the old thread… but charlie… why not kill 2 birds with one stone?

Overspeed training is based on the erronious assumption that the qualities required for top speed- stride length and stride frequency- must always be trained at the same time. Why not bounding for stride length and quick leg drills for frequency, etc.? The problems with overspeed are covered extensively in the old forum- calling Pete!

yes

just clarify.
CM is what? center of mass? is that the same as center of gravity?

When being towed, the athlete is being pulled into the ground farther ahead of his CM, which leads to a lower hip position, increasing ground contact time and increasing the likelyhood of injury in the lower hamstring area.

Because:
1: Overspeed doesn’t work, because only ground contact time matters- and it is INCREASED by towing.
2: The only thing that will get killed is you.
(Please read the 7.5 sec thread for the stride length vs frequency link from T-Mag)

Charlie, Would you like to explain why ground contact time increases with towing ?
Resistance running defenetely increases ground contact time.

This was the thread that convinced me to drop downhill sprints (I think it was just after I had found the forum):

http://www.charliefrancis.com/board/philboard_read.asp?id=831

This is from inside the thread, posted by flash:

“Another overlooked form of overspeed training is flying 20s with a full run up (50-60m). By using a more gradual acceleration, the sprinter is able to achieve a higher max velocity than would be possible with a maximum effort acceleration.”

Really cool stuff.

A very slight grade with a perfectly flat, high quality surface might be OK but where would you find something like that? The best alternative is to sprint with a strong tailwind where possible.

In the SuperClub facilities!:clap:

What do you think that the possible benefits would be?
example:

1. Strength training at the fastest possible speed. Even though it’s minute, there would be a greater downforce at every contact.

Mr. Francis, I know that you mentioned it before but I was wondering what tailwind would be necessary for the air resistance to be zero?

Derek

French coach Stéphane Caristan (13.20 at 110mH in 1986) uses such apparatus in Paris to work overspeed, among other coaches. He only uses this when the sprinters are perfectly fit, injury free, very near to their top-level before competitions time, with a special care to technique, in order to prevent injuries.

Jarmila Kratochvílová used to work overspeed at high altitude in Font-Romeu, thanks to less air resistance. She did 10.68 for 100m from standing start in 1982 or 1983. But one should note that she didn’t working maximum speed specificaly, as she was in an intensive 400m program.