sunbeds for recovery

Has anyone done any research on using sunbeds for recovery if you live in a country where the winters are long with very little sunlight.

I know the sun has great healing powers - and how many sessions per week would be considered safe on the sun bed whilst getting the benefits from the sun.

The Russians used to use this in the 1960s but I don’t have any references, I just saw it in a magazine about workers in the far north. I’d be a bit paranoid of using it beyond 2 x/wk because UVB is now considered bad news as well as UVA.

and Infrared Lamp?

Supplement with Vitamin D. Up to 4000IU per day is what my vitamin “advisor” tells me to take. Here in the Okanagan we are plagued with a low cloud covering for much of the winter months. Folic Acid and B-12 help to take away the blues as well.

For more info: www.knowledgeofhealth.com

There are some translated references in the Recovery manual that Siff and Yessis edited. I don’t have it with me right now, but (off the top of my head) i think the protocol was 20 min. , 2/wk. This was done using a UV lamp.

I haven’t tried it, as living most of my life at altitude, i have had too much UV exposure as it is :)…

Power interesting you mentiiond this. Because the pastfew years at my college up North New York it snows just about every day in the winter and is cloody/gloomy. I used to go tanning 2-3 times per week for 15 mins and it improved my sleep. Improved sleep=better recovery.
Im assuming that is because of reasons mentioned sunlight=vita. D

You can get a light box that gives broad spectrum light in the winter, free of UV radiation. it does wonders for those affected by SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)

That what i have used for living the midwestern US this year. (Moving from the southwest to the midwest). I don’t know if i can quantify any training related benefit, but it helps my mood a lot.

They’re great for keeping a normal sleep cycle as well.

Contrary to what the public thinks, UV light is actually good for you and is necessary for optimal health. People think that they will get cancer and other problems if they go in the sun too long. This is correct if they eat a diet plagued in trans-fats and other preservatives. These un-natural agents promote tumor growth when combined with UV light. Not to mention the other problems besides skin cancer.

A diet rich in EFA’s and good fats actually help your body absorb sunlight and energy. If you’ve ever felt that you’ve had more energy the next day after sun exposure it’s because your body’s electrons are recharged and your body actually stores the energy given off by the sun. You can think of UV light as a multivitamin, because it also helps your body synthesize vitamins.

One thing to note is that skin cancer was non-existant until after WW2 when preservatives started been put in foods.

What the heck is that?

Check this link out. Great website and newsletter!

http://www.mercola.com/forms/light_boxes.htm

I agree with Blinky. The UV phobia that has been perpetuated over the last 25 years has gotten out of hand. Many dermatologists are doing a complete 180 on UV. It appears that degenerative deseases linked to chronic vit. D deficiency kill several times more people than skin cancer.

This does not mean it’s okay to fry yourself on the beach, but normal UV exposure from regular outdoor activities is necessary for good health. Our bodies were designed to be outdoors.

I have a couple full spectrum light bulbs in my apartment and it does help during the winter months. I believe the primary benefit is the stimulation of melatonin production, which helps regulate sleep cycles.

Absolutely agree, it is also used in Factories (ie. UPS, etc) where workers slave during the graveyard shift in order for them not to feel tired and fool (trick) their normal circadian rhytm, thereby altering it, similar to one altering their body fat set-point.

You’re on the right track, but its the opposite. The light decreases production of Melatonin, so you don’t feel as tired or get those “blues” feelings.

Melatonin helps people to fall asleep, this is why it is given to blind people b/c their sleeping patterns are awful, b/c their brain doesn’t “see” any light ever, and so they don’t have regular circadian rhythm. The Melatonin helps keep it regular and sleep when its night time.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense actually.