Suicides

I know the Bball team does them, and i am hoping to make it because i have been working on my game for a long time now. Anyway they do 17’s. Which are 17 suicides, across the court. Across the court once counts as 1. All they way up to speed.

My question is how much do they contribute to overal speed and quickness?

they dont.

Let’s keep in mind that many coaches train kids that are not pro athletes or even dedicated. Sometimes any training will work if the starting point sucks.

yea but if i run them at 100% intensity each sprint do you think i will gain any speed?

no, not enough recovery to build speed, your not supposed to train at 100% intensity anyways so doing it repeatedly would not help. suicides are not good for speed

numba56,

I agree that suicides are just that for your speed, deadly, but what do you mean you’re not supposed to train for speed at 100% intensity? While not suicidal, that’s definitley not true.

its too much stress on your body to go 100% intensity every training session and sprint, I dont really know how to explain it, Charlie or David W could do it better, but i think that it stresses you too much and inhibits you ability to recover between workouts and reps…?

its too much stress on your body to go 100% intensity every training session and sprint, I dont really know how to explain it, Charlie or David W could do it better, but i think that it stresses you too much and inhibits you ability to recover between workouts and reps…? And also i know Charlie is an advocate of never going 100% intensity

There’s a big difference between not going 100% every workout, and never going 100%. Charlie reccomends speed sessions between 95 and 100 percent, 100 being used to stimulate gains, and 95 being used to stimulate the nervous system while not overloading it by constantly running at 100 %.

my fault, but i thought his theory was most of the time to stay at 95%, and not go 100% as stated above?

I think Charlie Francis was referring to elite sprinters because going 100%
could take their CNS over a week to recover.

Yeah, for someone in their first few training years I don’t think they’d even have to worry about percentages except for maybe speed/special endurance as long as planning is correct.