Strength to 40 speed?

brain, I do believe your guess is right. I have stubby legs for my height and a rahter tal upperbody. I barely have to bend over to reach my toes when touching them sitting down.

brian thats exactly what i mean. im not trying to diss anyone i just dont know how someone could achive results like that without being strong. and i still think a handtimed 4.3 from the first movement of the athlete is fast. cause mine wsa timed like that and i only got 4.5. and i just want to know how someone could get that much fast then me if they dont even work hard in the weightroom too.

Just because their stats in the wieght room are lower than yours doesn’t mean they don’t work hard in the weight room. In all honesty i see why my times went down from last year.

LAST YR-100-11.8
THIS YEAR-11.19

40 LAST YEAR-4.9
40 THIS YEAR-4.38

weight room stats:
LAST YEAR-
Squat-I have no clue-Parallel I could only hit around 175-200
Bench-125-130 lbs
THIS YEAR-
Squat-275-285 (guestimating)
Bench Press-185-190 (tested that about 2-3 months ago i’m usre i probably improved 5 lbs or so)

i’ve increased ten fold in each of those lifts and my sprint times went down. I guess it all depends on how much weight you increased in the weight room.

How old are all of you guys posting these sub 4.5 second times?

I’m 18 yrs. old. I also went sub 11.0 today ran a 10.8 manual though.

I am 17 years old

well ive noticed that with my strength increases speed increases were there. for ex. yesterday i raced my friend whom i hadnt raced and we used to go neck and neck i just crushed, it felt really easy and like i wasnt even running hard. I have a couple of combines so Ill know my and machine times soon. As well Im faster at 240 then I was at 205…

I am 16 years old, 17 in august and i ran 4.43 electronic yesterday on astroturf, compared with my previous best, 4.4ht on grass

I am 19. 5’10" 148. 11.0 100m, 4.54 40yd, 26.5" vert. just so you could see some correlation - 260 full squat 320 WS style… I’m just gonna go ahead and say this - I think I can get down to 10.3 range in about 2 and a half years of CFTS. So follow my training in the journals section and watch me get better.

Why wouldn’t a skinny guy not have a fast 40???.. I guess you have never heard of Kim Collins (World’s No.1 Sprinter & Current World Champion) who weighs in at 140lbs. He ain’t even a exception anyway. All he showed to the rest of the field was who was dominant in Bodyweight/Power ratio. He left Dwains big fat ass in the blocks.

At the beginning of the year I had my 40 time handtimed. No need to tell you the time because handtimed = bullshit times. I started training and my times were decreasing (slowly). I the read an article on how to improve bodyweight/power ratio and it came to the conclusion, lose weight. I was 160lbs, I lost 10lbs over 10 days and took .5 sec/half a second off my 40. I timed it 5x and the times were constantly the same. I couldn’t believe I improved my times over such a short time by just decreasing bodyweight.

Its pretty much like this, if we both have a wheelbarrow each, my wheelbarrow is empty and yours is loaded with 10/20 bricks (weight), then its safe to stay I will accelerate my (mass::Wheelbarrow) alot more quickly than yours over 40 yards just as Kim Collins showed at the World Championships against his more “well built opposition”. Do you watch boxing???.. Why are heavyweights slower in throwing punches than your Oscar De La Hoya’s of the world. Why can a squirrel leap six feet into the air while an elephant can’t even jump at all.

All factors being equal, If a 140lb guy came up against you in the 40 and he can lift the same amount of weight than you and he can apply that to the ground when hes running, well its safe to say, your getting left.

You know what Rock N Roll? That statement is nothing short of revolutionary. You are an absolute genius.
And please please please don’t start this Dwain/Kim crap again.

as well top speed and speed endurance are much bigger factors in 100m sprints, actually they are pretty much non existant in 40 times…haha yes pete, plz though dont start an argument, he wouldnt even accept charlie’s answer on the specific topics…

I’m 5’3" and 170lbs. I’ve never run a 40 yard dash before. The closest I’ve come to one was a 30m sprint in trainers on a gym floor with electronic timing. I ran 3.72. Whatever that means.

So I see you guys arguing about hand versus FAT. Someone said that hand time= rubish or something like that. I dissagree with that. I believe that Hand time = Nothing!!! Absolutly nothing to anyone but the guy who timed it and his coach. Which means. If you ran whatever and hand timed it. Then you can take it as a vague referrance for your self along with your coach. But then you can’t come and say I have run --.-- at whatever!! Because its nothing. Absolutly nothing. And if some of you dissagre with me then put in a Video tape and start timing a 100 with you watch. Time it 10 times and take the average. Time it the WAY your coach times you. Then compare with the result that shows on the screen.

As for that 40m issue. I believe its an individual issue. Who cares whether your big or small. Just get down and do it in whatever way you could use. As long as it works for you and that is LEGAL of course. When you do it then you’ve proven your point instead of arguing your way through. But still there are basic rules that you should always have in your consideration. Like weight training is a " GOOD THING " for example. Anyone who thinks the opposite, prove it first and then start talking!

Done with MBA classes, and ready to jump in the fray again…

While strength/weight ratio is a very good indicator for those of us who do not have tendo units or force plates, I belive a much better indicator, which would have even a more linear correlation with acceleration would be power/weight ratio.

As many of us here have tried to point out, basic strength tests, while good to check for a solid base for power training, are really not tests which show the ability to translate that strength into short ballistic bursts as needed in sports.

I know a whole bunch of really strong guys who are pretty clunky.

This is why little guys who aren’t super strong can be quick if they have been very active all of their lives. DB Hammer calls it being rate and elastic dominant. I don’t care what it is called, but some people are simply better at expressing power on the rate end of the force curve, while athletes trained in traditional western fashion will gain the ability to display force closer to the MaxS side of the force curve…where squats and bench presses fall.

Now, are all measures of strength and power relative to MaxS, yes, I believe they are, but an increase in MaxS, until trained to be displayed further down the force curve will not produce a linear correlation with rate dominant power…

I have to run right now, but I will try to post more later.

Lil’ Coach H
cscs