Str:weight ratio

Longwood5 - good numbers, but I think you’ll have to get on the track to see about speed. Base strength will not be any type of a problem for you in regards to track.

All of my club and HS female athletes powerclean! :smiley: But only one over 1.3…

And of course they all DL, squat, bench and push press, too. Most of our above average female sprinters are average on these lifts, with a couple being “strong” according to the team sports guidelines. Squat is the only exception - with 3 over 2.6 :eek: !

These numbers might be a little high for females as far as what “average” really is … I’d say our TEAM averages are below these numbers, but our better group of females speed-wise seem to be in these ranges (except bench - but we don’t train that too heavy, anyway, I guess…). IMO.

check out this strength to weight ratio:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8877591749402731894&auto=true
wow.

yea with every wrap suit and belt available on the market, that shit is a joke. its simple if u cant do it with your own muscle then its not legit. is she probably strong as all hell yea, but dont let the weight fool you.

Yep, it’s a joke. We’ll give you a suit and see if you can do over 3.3x bodyweight. I’m sure you could squat 1000 with all that equipment right? I’d like to see you should up at a meet and tell that to her and Becca Swanson.

Here’s a bigger joke for you…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH7-JeDEdLU

what i can do has nothing to do with if its a joke or not and it is. you cant claim that as physical ability because it not her physicality lifting all the weight. people are so caught up with weight. how much can you bench, how much can u squat without regard to how its done. at what point do we limit outward assitance. why not a bench shirt with hydraulic pistons in it. its not real period. its a falsified lift. if you dont except that then its hard for me to believe that you would train for the betterment of the human organism over performance.

I hear what the both of you are saying BUT… How much is her gear really adding? I agree that it is a little rediculous that the bench world record is around 1000 pounds and the “raw” record is under 800. I also think its rediculous that there are different equipt. rules for different federations. However using that squat video as an example I am still willing to bet that she lifts over 400 raw at the bodyweight of 148 pounds which is still more than all but 5 guys at my university.
Impressive. So I feel we need to look at these numbers and take them for what they’re worth. Even if we took 200 pounds off that lift it is still over 315 pounds which is almost double the weight our strongest female athletes could squat.

Are we also questioning the use of spikes when sprinting (everything else except barefooted being a joke)? For t&f athletes the squat might well be just a strengthening exercise, hence the different approach to wrap suits etc, but for powerlifting the squat is an event in itself and suits are the norm therefore. Not many of the current sprinters would consider going barefooted in an Olympic final. Acknowledge the difference between ‘training for’ and ‘competing in’, and it’s easier not to undervalue other people’s efforts. If you must, then question the rules, not the motivation to follow them.

Good post, running barefoot would be horrible! I’d struggle to break 13s for the 100 LOL.

Torbjörn Eriksson ran 21.03 in the 200m barefooted from lane two (World Championships in Gothenburg 1995).

there is a big difference between splikes and bench shirts, squat suits ect. one allows expression of the muscualr system the other enhances it. seriously wut is the limit wut if a make bench shirt that alone can add 500lbs to my bench wuts the friggin point. if she can squat 400 raw then thats what she squats and she should be proud of that. now i know im not gunna change the opinion of professional lifters but i would hope that i could show the folly of this method of ascertaining of strength in field athletes.

Correct me if I am wrong but the whole use of gear actually started as a means to prevent injury.

i cant substantiate that but even if its so then gear has become a crutch picking up for the weaknesses of the human body, or rather weaknesses in our training program.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=35297&tid=

straight from the Daywalker himself…