Str:weight ratio

What would be considered a good strength to weight ratio for a sprinter?

(weight lifted / Body weight)
Some examples:
BP = 1.64
1/2 Sqt = 2.69
PC = 1.28

Thanks CoolColJ!

Is a 100m sprinter considered a strength athlete?

Yeah perhaps, but sprinters are all about maximal power to weight, so I think those ratios would apply equally well.

Neospeed - she’s slim nothing unusual, I may, keep your eye in the off topic section just in case :slight_smile:

Originally posted by akm100m
Is a 100m sprinter considered a strength athlete?

On one hand sprinters don’t push the lifts as much as pure strength athletes, but on the other hand they tend to keep the bodyweight down, so I would say yes.

Neospeed - I do actually :slight_smile:

Let’s see more of that girl Col haha.
By the way, sprinters are power athletes, not strength athletes. An example of a strength athlete would be a Powerlifter. I think that Powerlifting should be re-named “Strength Lifting”, since the real Powerlifters are Olympic Style Weightlifters.

where are those numbers from?

they’re pretty much spot on for me, except for the bench press (i can’t do 1.68 x bw)

i think both the bench and squat ratios are pretty insane, for example, someone who is 100 lbs would have to squat 269 lbs!! 150 lbs would have to squat over 400 lbs and bench nearly 250 lbs. A 150 lb individual who could lift those numbers would probably have to pack that 150 lbs on a 5 foot frame lol

From memory, in the book “Sports Speed” by Tellez, Ward, & Ditiman they talk about percentages in the range of 2.5 x BW as a minimum for the 1/2 squat and something like 1.8 x BW for the BP.

Not 100% sure of these but they’re pretty close.:o

i am 5’7 151 and i bench 305. i only squat around 300 however.

For those who P.clean, 1.5x body weight is good, 2x BW is excellent. Squats are hard to define due to differences in stance and depth, and I have not found their correlation with sprint performance to be that strong.

Limb length and body type make rules very problematic. A Str/Weight ratio must be individualized for the athlete.

Agreed. However ask any elite sprinter who performs cleans and you will find a ratio in the range specified.

CJ: 145/80 = 1.8
JG: 125/78 = 1.6
DC: 145/81 = 1.8
JE: 150/75 = 2

Yeah but those guys are also very light. The smaller the person the better the relative strength.

I myself would need to powerclean 360-400lbs - not gonna happen! :mrt:

And also one man’s powerclean is another man’s squat clean. I myself use very high catches, whereas someone else might use more dip to rack it. Apples and oranges.

Muscle clean would be better - rack with nearly straight legs.

Don’t worry about the depth of the catch - it makes little difference. I power clean 115 with straight legs, 117 with a 1/3 squat and 125 to the bottom. The ratio won’t be influenced that greatly by using any of those figures. Of course Olympic lifters often have greater differentials between their full and ‘power’ versions (anything above parallel is power)

Also you are correct - it IS more difficult for a heavier athlete to power clean double BW. It would be more acurate to use the ‘Sinclair’ formula - I will get this for you tomorrow.

BTW at 5.9 you should definately aim for at least 1.5 BW - you don’t have that far to pull it:sing:

300lbs without bumpers and platform? Ehh one day in the future :slight_smile:

when I have a 500lb full squat, I should be able to do it :slight_smile:

John Berardi conducted a survey about bodyweight/strength on a variety of lifts on the Chris T. forum a while back. He conducted it in a few of the other forums too, but what was really interesting about the one on Chris T’s forum was that Chris gave what he felt was average, good, etc. for strength athletes and team athletes bodyweight wise. I will try to find it and post it. I can’t tonight and I may not be able to find it because the search engine for the forums is sort of hard to navigate so I’m going to have to just keep going back and back in the Chris T. forum.

This is an edit, I don’t think I’m going to be able to find it because Chris T.'s forum only goes back to after when it was posted. Sorry.

Tra la laa :slight_smile:

Christian Thibaudeau

What I consider average, strong and very strong:

Just one note: To me, “average” means “good”, or a level that is acceptable for an intermediate/advanced athlete. Not what everybody should be able to do

Team sport athletes

a) back squat (proper/competiton type)
Average: 1.6 - 2.0
Strong: 2.1 - 2.5
Very strong: 2.6 +

b) front squat (full)
Average: 1.3-1.6
Strong: 1.7-2.0
Very strong: 2.1 +

c) deadlift
Average: 1.6 - 2.0
Strong: 2.1 - 2.5
Very strong: 2.6 +

d) stiff legged deadlift

No guidelines

e) barbell hack squat
No guidelines

f) power clean / hang clean
Average: 1.0 - 1.25
Strong: 1.3 - 1.5
Very strong: 1.6 +

g) snatch
Average: 0.7 - 0.9
Strong: 1.0 - 1.2
Very strong: 1.3 +

h) barbell bench press
Average: 1.25 - 1.5
Strong: 1.6 - 2
Very strong: 2.1 +

i) barbell split press (push press)
Average: 1.0 - 1.25
Strong: 1.3 - 1.5
Very strong: 1.6 +

Strength athletes:

Average: 2.0 - 2.2
Strong: 2.3 - 2.8
Very strong: 2.9 +

b) front squat (full)
Average: 1.6-1.9
Strong: 2.0-2.2
Very strong: 2.3 +

c) deadlift
Average: 2.0 - 2.2
Strong: 2.3 - 2.8
Very strong: 2.9 +

d) stiff legged deadlift

No guidelines

e) barbell hack squat
No guidelines

Average: 1.2 - 1.4
Strong: 1.5 - 1.8
Very strong: 1.9 +

g) snatch
Average: 1.0 - 1.2
Strong: 1.3 - 1.4
Very strong: 1.5 +

h) barbell bench press
Average: 1.5 - 1.7
Strong: 1.8 - 2.2
Very strong: 2.3 +

Average: 1.2 - 1.4
Strong: 1.5 - 1.8

Bodybuilders

Average: 1.5 - 1.9
Strong: 2.0 - 2.4
Very strong: 2.5 +

b) front squat (full)
Average: 1.1-1.4
Strong: 1.5-1.8

c) deadlift
Average: 1.5 - 1.9
Strong: 2.0 - 2.4
Very strong: 2.5 +

d) stiff legged deadlift

No guidelines

e) barbell hack squat
No guidelines

Average: 0.8 - 1.1
Strong: 1.2 - 1.3
Very strong: 1.4 +

g) snatch
Average: 0.6 - 0.8
Strong: 0.9 - 1.1
Very strong: 1.2 +

h) barbell bench press
Average: 1.3 - 1.6
Strong: 1.7 - 2.1
Very strong: 2.2 +

Average: 0.8 - 1.1
Strong: 1.2 - 1.3
Very strong: 1.4 +

CoolColJ
Back to the girl- only moving this time!

Hey Col, do u have any of the lower half of that girl :o :o