Stepping over

Goes back to teaching a reaction, it is a waste of time.

Waste of time? What are you referring to?

I was agreeing with Flash.

I am referring to the drills where you practice the recovery stage of a revolution, (heel to butt-stepping over knee) and trying to carry it into the running stride. The emphasis should be swing, to get the leg/foot back as fast as possible to the power position.

In the post by Flash he says “In the case of stepping over and down you really shouldn’t feel the recovery of the swing foot over the support knee (let alone a butt kick) because the action is occurring so quickly. If you consciously emphasize the recovery so that you actually feel the foot passing over the knee you will end up exaggerating the knee lift which will cause your hips to drop. This will retard your stride frequency and cause deflection in the support knee. This was the mistake I was making. I was trying to feel the description of proper technique.”

this video is of an athlete who has a whole lot of trouble stepping over, complains of hip flexor tightness frequentl, unfortunately its long and a football highlight, but I am sure if gives you a solid idea. Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW_zpm6O7tM

bump for opinions

That video is basically worthless for giving advice on sprint mechanics or cues.

I’m not ready to entirely dismiss all drills that emphasize recovery. It depends on the needs of the athlete. For example, Charlie showed me a terrific drill that he used as an athlete to teach himself to keep the feet under the body during recovery instead of cartwheeling behind.

However, when you move from drills (which are relatively slow) to actual sprinting, it’s a whole different ballgame. When you’re sprinting, by the time the plant foot hits the ground the swing foot is already off the ground and coming over the support knee. If you try to switch your focus from stepping down with the first foot back to stepping over with the other foot you’re behind the power curve because that foot is already on its way over and forward. If you think about raising it, you’re more likely to unnecessarily exaggerate the motion. You really only have time to think about cocking the swing foot in preparation for the next step down.

Is that really his running stride? That is an incredibly short stride.

I am not suggesting all drills should be disregarded, but (heel to butt-stepping over knee) and trying to carry it into the running stride has not worked for me. I do have old vhs videos (1980’s) of athletes before and after. It’s ironic that the athletes appear to perform the action at speed, the faster the speed the better the action. I ended up treating drills as a motor skill and dropped the ones I have questioned.

My wife was coaching some athletes yesterday afternoon, one of the girls has been accepted at a sport school and she commented her school coach has a new drill, one she has been doing for a couple of years, she asked if she was to do the drill the old way or the new way. The new way is how I was doing it 10+ years ago, so she was told to say she is trying but is a motor moron. I have known the coach since the 1980’s and paid him once to coach at a clinic, no other coach would allow their athletes to come to the clinic so I had some athletes I coached go, the first thing the coach said was “your coach has no idea what they are doing, I do”, he only had one athlete change over and she hasn’t improved since.

I agree with your second paragraph and Charlies drill feet under body would be relevant because the brain has time to incorporate it during the power curve.

I think a lot of this influence came from Loren Seagrave’s (mis)interpretation of the Mach drills.

Either that or he changed it on purpose to put his stamp on it. The drills are now embedded in our system.

Yes. Stepping over in a drill is NOT the same as in running with a full stride cycle to complete recovery and Loren’s interpretation of drills is NOT Gerrard’s.

An updated video of a 6’0" 245 pound RB/FB, these runs are 30yard intensity limit for 60 yards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neoaxP_bytY

RB/FB?? He look like a offensive guard.

That’s the idea a guard in the backfield, goods hand punishing blocks short yardage runs?

I would think most RBs (at the highest levels at least) of that size as going to be ~ -15lbs of fat and +15lbs of muscle. Seems quite out of shape to worry about stepping over.

I’ve been re-reading Speed Trap and thought the following quote would be helpful:

“Percy taught me the difference between running and sprinting - that while you run on the ground, you sprint over it, with the briefest possible foot contact. It’s like the spinning of a bicycle wheel; a sharp slap of the hand will impart more speed to the wheel than would a more prolonged stroke. The strongest sprinters spend the least time in pushing along the ground. They focus instead on moving their legs up and down, and are barely conscious of how their force is translated into horizontal impetus. They feel ease rather than power in their motion, since they overcome resistive forces - ground and air, gravity and inertia - with so little difficulty.”

That is probably the most concise description of the subjective sensation of proper sprinting you will find. It wasn’t until I trained with Charlie almost 15 years after I first read that description that I really appreciated it. It’s probably one of the most important tidbits Charlie ever wrote, and it’s easy to overlook.

How come we watching videos of John Rizzo?.

Still trying to understand the deal with him?

Percy’s children attended the funeral home on Monday and I spoke with each of them.
Charlie was very fond of Percy and I enjoyed meeting his family more than once.
They could not say enough good things about the man that took their father away often to be with Charlie.