Squats

Someone sent me this article today - let’s max out on squats every day.
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/max_out_on_squats_every_day

I don’t think he means to max out in terms of % of 1rm everyday. This is similar training philosophy of Russian Squat program or Bulgarian weightlifting system. With such training systems, the logic is: it’s better to train everyday, which the body adopts to, rather than rest.

Beyond anyone’s approach (Broz Gym,Bulgarian,CFTS),it is my observation that a key constant in many successful training program is the presence of a background noise stimulus which sets the tone for and facilitate all other adaptation creating a platform from which performance improvements may emerge.

He’s saying go to a daily max every day. It’s semi-autoregulating in that you only do what you’re capable of on any given day.

Still the very same (maximal) stim over and over,day in day out. Maximal stimulus equals maximal response (i.e. recovery potential).

This is common among the Bulgarians and their followers. Not the only way to get strong and it is common for these guys to be injured. Also, they will tell you to push through the pain and soreness and tendon attachment inflammation, etc. and the body will adapt. Good luck with that.

Don’t listen to your body…

I have read more than once from guys who use this system that you will adapt…I’m not willing to try. Not applicable to anything outside of weightlifting anyway.

The lifter that can endure the most pain will be the most successful.

Work the cut… lol

As a good friend on this site said…“I don’t get the hard on for the Bulgarian thing” There are less painful ways of getting strong.

I’d rather lift and look like this guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPxwuGUZBY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Bulgarians don’t even medal anymore anyway and neither do many, if not any, of their followers. No Turks, no Greeks, no Bulgarians.

The reason why the USA sucks in weightlifting is not because of any training system nonsense it is lack of talent in that sport and lack of “supplements”. The weightlifters in the USA are in the NFL or Bobsled or any number of other sports.

Like I said - gotta learn to work the cut…

Well why aren’t these Broz guys in the Olympics? Everything “unofficial”?

I have a football guy who has been doing some training with him - freak mode.

I respectfully disagree. Such training approach can be applied to most training,if the principles and variables are properly understood,applied and managed respectively.
Blindly blaming one training system of a sure way to injuries and maladaptation is myopic at the least.

I respectfully disagree. Such training approach can be applied to most training,if the principles and variables are properly understood,applied and managed respectively.
Blindly blaming one training system of a sure way to injuries and maladaptation is myopic at the least.
Same for judging it as applicable to training for specific sport events ( like weightlifting) only.
Training the human system is training the human system. A better trained human system will display itself as improved performance,whatever the specificity of the event.

Would I use the programme - probably not.

I was told by some compeitors I looked up to, when my training partner complained about being sore. The comment made was “if you are not sore, you’re not training hard enough…”

What has this got to with the programme soon on the link? I threw hammers, I threw 5 times a weeks, did general weights 3 times a week and also did sprinting and jumping once a week. The throws, tended to be relative to the best we could do as easily we could do. EG Our target was say 80-85% of our pb/pr with 10-15 throws at that level. Some days it was hard some days it wasn’t

Soreness is a poor index to evaluate training one way or the other.
Also I find critical the way soreness is perceived by athletes,and how it is associated with positive or negative feedback (performance or lack of such)in their mind.
Have athletes achieve pb’s when sore and they may even want to be sore again and again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwN9SqqIRAk

More examples of his philosphy. Mentions he failed snatching 150kgs 52x before he finally got it. Last time I maxed out on cleans I stopped right after my first miss. I guess I need to keep going next time.

We are talking about the chronic tightness and inflammation in the tendon insertions and things like that.

Funny how the best weightlifter in the USA does not follow a program even remotely similar to this. He even does sets of 10 at times. The lifters in many other countries do higher rep work and pulls and presses.

Often times the people with a huge hard on for bulgarian style training are very emotionally attached to it. Good luck even discussing any other training but that with them.

I hope you are joking…