squats atg v box

like FloJo?

Full squats DO NOT cause knee injuries - BAD COACHES do. Its harder on the knees to do 1/4 squats then full squats.

???

First, arnie, how about using some proper grammar shall we? Second, your idea that a half squat is more specific than a full squat is missguided; any form of resistance training is a GENERAL means of stimulus to the organism, and is intended to strengthen the musculature involved in the specific event (in this case sprinting), not to replicate it. The specific work is done during actual sprint training. Using accomidated resistance is simply another general method of stimulating the organism.

Finally, your argument that you do not know a single athlete that uses such methods (bands) is simply ludacris; have you ever heard of innovation, sir? When the firearm was invented, did people still continue to use bows and arrows simply because they never knew anyone else to use a firearm. No, they realized it was a practical tool that could be advantageous, and imbraced it. We must constantly strive to seek new ways of advancement; the fact that you shit upon some athletes and coaches that are implementing uncoventional methods in an effort to advance their athletic performance is dissapointing considering you are a coach.

thank u mortac8.

from these sites i can c that killspeed is a strength fanatic, i never said that bands can’t b used 2 increase strength, i just said that that kind of strength adaption is usless 2 sprinters and non of these sites prove other wise.

oh ya, killspeed, absolute strength does’nt make a sprinter that’s probably y ur not so fast.

let c how good ur grammer is in my language pal. it does’nt sound like u know what u r talking about so i think mayb do some research and then come back 2 me. i like the way u think though.

well, don’t u think that by moving the bar further u’d stress the knee 4 longer?

I think this article is appropriate here…

http://www.powerdevelopmentinc.com/abstracts/class-of-means.html

Again, training with bands can improve the force part of the power equation(P=V x F). There are other tools and other ways of getting this result, as alot of people have certainly been fine without using bands, but it would be foolish to completely disregard it. Also, Butch Reynolds(400m) worked with Louie Simmons and used bands for some of his training.

i happen to disagree, by doing atg squats, you are subjecting the joint to lower intesnity (less weight due to greater range of motion). actually i believe i have read quarter squats are the worst on knees, putting extreme stress on the patella tendon. ive squatted atg for a long time with heavy loads (as far as how much i could lift) and have NEVER had a knee problem (this includes football and basketball my entire life). So no, greater breadth for a joint would appear to be a good thing, rather than greater intensity.

and once again anything besides sprinting is general, there is nothing specific that can be done in the weight room, except strengthening the muscles involved in the sprint, a power clean is no more specific to sprinting than a squat.

Power cleans are in fact not specific to top speed, if anything they would be much more helpful to the start. Theres no reactivity or limit on time to apply force or relaxation component that is oh so critical in top speed. This is why hurdle hops are more effective as a top speed aid.

Notice all of the claims of oly lifters being fast in the short sprints? If it was top speed specific we’d hear about sick 60m-70m times.

You don’t get it, do you? You are still looking for specificity where it’s non-existent!

How was then Ben achieving his top speed without any OLs?

Of course, you don’t get my second part…

Keep your advice and warning for someone else!

We’re still waiting to list your research with regards to greater knee forces in the half- vs. full-squat!

Until then, amuse us.

u don’t get it, it may not b 100% specific bt there is a degree of specifity.

do u seriously not know where ben’s speed came from, where have u been hiding, i’ll give u a clue his performances have been annuled.

of course i don’t understand u, u don’t explain urself we r not all geniusis like u.

Sir, it seems the way in which you have carried yourself has left you with very little in the way of credibility from the majority of the forum members. I have made valid points in an effort to show you what I believe, as have the others. We respect your thoughts and theories, however we believe otherwise. This forum’s purpose is to provide a medium for PRODUCTIVE conversation to help each other; you are infact impeding this process. Also, your personal attack on SpeedKills athletic accomplishments are very immature, and I doubt you have any true knowledge of this persons athletic level.

youd be a fool to allude to that, it will get you banned very quickly.

ben’s performance was hard work, world class coaching, and world class recovery since he was 15. as well, a talented individual (i believe sub 10.4 in his teens).

only because ur weight is lower, lets put ur 1/2 or 1/4 squat max on ur shoulders and do an atg squat lets c how much pressure is on ur knees now, also if u squat ur agt squat max as a 1/4 or 1/2 it will exert alot less pressure on the knees cos it’s well within those lifts limits.

there r many ways 2 do weight training, i would suggest that u have a look at some track orientated resistance programes. if oly lifts were’nt specific 2 track y do they do them, y not stick 2 dead lifts and squats. let c, in oly lifts u have a triple extention action just like sprinting, it involves exerting force against the ground just like sprinting, it envolves exeriting explosive force through the ankles, knees and hips just like sprinting, that’s pretty specific 2 me.

according 2 the stories i’ve heard ben could’nt even break 12s when he was 15.

not everyone does olympic lifts, and i realize that there are many ways.

i do not see the point in attempting to use 1/2 or 1/4 squats in atg to see how much it effects the knees as you would be unable to squat it? as well, it would be pointless to use atg intensities in the 1/2 and 1/4, because for that movement range it would be too light of a load to help with strength.

As for ben, you are misinformed, 11.5 with no training and before the start of physical maturity. 10.79 (i believe the next year?), all the way up to 10.25 at 19, making all of the grand prix finals he entered. Thats not talent?

back to the oly’s, theres no reactive factor (big thing in sprinting), no time factor (again big thing in sprinting), so again, i will continue to disagree with you that ANY movement in the weight room is specific to sprinting either by movement, speed of movement, etc… ALTHOUGH i will only concede that the oly’s are “more specific” to sprinting in that they use ~90% of the body MU’s when performing the movement, making it not far off from sprinting. So, as a general overal stimulus for organism strength, I WOULD agree that it is “more specific”, but not because “there is triple extension and you have to move the weight fast”.

Here are his real times matched up with his age off of another thread, with no objection from Charlie, so I will assume they are all correct.
“Courtesy of Ben Johnson: The fastest man on earth” by James Christie

age time

15 11.5
16 10.79
17 10.66
18 10.62
19 10.25
20 10.30
21 10.19
22 10.12
23 10.00
24 9.95
25 9.83
26 9.79

my friend, y do u think less than 10% of the world track coaches have success with there training programes, i’ll tell u y, they know something the rest don’t, do u really think that if so many ppl, such as on this forum, knew the recipe for success that we would still have so many sub standard sprinters. i’ve got a feeling that noone on this forum can even run sub 10,5.

as far as speedkills is concerned ask him what his problem is with me.

Oh, please stop. You’re killing me. I can’t take anymore.

But, seriously, post your research. Until then, your argument my friend, is DEAD.

By the way, Arnie, when did you set the 100m world record?

as well, as for limit strength not making a sprinter, this is true, but do you deny limit strength helping a sprinter at all? What about the ability to hold a good start position? Or the acc. phase where ground contact times are longer and there is more time to apply force (that limit strength that has been developed)? As well, what about having neural stimuli outside left side of the curve?

Having a balanced program that places speed first is certainly key, but honestly do you believe there is no place for limit strength work?