squat stance for sprinting

If the hams are the main target at doing squats should we use the tecnique that west side(dave tate) is using or does this style or squatting hammer the sprinting tecnique. I think that all of us can agree that their style can create the big numbers.

couple tecnigal notes of the west side style of squatting.

If you think you squat wide already, move your feet further out!

Spread the floor with your feet as you squat.

The hips should move before the knees!

You want to pull as much air as you can into your belly, then flex and force your abdominals out.

Clemson,

Is this a trick question? Shouldn´t you be telling us this after the weekend???

A full olympic squat may require more `athleticism´ - you go deeper, more flexibility is required - more movement, more development?

MAYBE olympic squats transfer better to sports in terms of the movement (bending at the ankle hip knee, not just knee and hip; lines of action at the joints), but then strength is maybe one quality that does not have to trained too specifically.

I think if you want to go in the direction of olympic lifts, it is easier to learn them if you can squat in the olympic style than if you power squat.

As in most training qualities, it depends on the individual situation. And a sprinter is not training to just move big weights.

If you can lift more in a power squat, maybe the training stimulus is greater than in an olympic squat???

I think deep olympic squats which are technically sound are much tougher to learn than power squats. Dave Tate may feel differently about that.

If you can lift more in a power squat, maybe the training stimulus is greater than in an olympic squat???

Squatting deeper does activate more motor units than a power squat - relatively speaking. People with back problems or other concerns may wish to do full squats with less weight than a power squat - but still getting an effective CNS workout due to the higher proportion of MU’s fired.

I’ve also found that deeper squatting is very good for development of the vastus medialis muscles, thereby eliminating the need for leg extensions, which actually place more sheer stress on the knee joint.

number two:

I agree with you re: deep squats and the VM.

number two:

I agree with you re: deep squats and the VM.

Power Method seems to activate the posterior better. Personally, prefer Oly Squat, though, for no better reason than there is a better ‘feel’ to the movement or as stated it’s a more athletic movement.

i perfer chris T’s method for athlete’s:

Full back squats can make more difference in sport performance than any other exercise. Notice that I advocate a close-stance full squat with an upright trunk. This is the only way an athlete should squat.

heres the link to the full article

As sprinters, we are not necessarily after “The Big Numbers”. We are after a stimulus that will help lead us to achieve the “Small Numbers”. :sing:

As sprinters, we are not necessarily after “The Big Numbers”. We are after a stimulus that will help lead us to achieve the “Small Numbers”.

well said DCW! :clap:

atheletic squat then.

Bar high on traps - shin and back angle parallel. Shoulderwidth or slightly wider stance, full depth

Basicly like an Oly squat, except lowering the hips slightly furtherback causing more forward lean, enough so that the shins and back angle are the same.

Oly squats have the hips going straight down and thus have a more upright trunk with the knees moving further forward and shins angled more actuely.

see link

http://www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar/BadGood.htm

Originally posted by Clemson
But…I don’t think small numbers = fast times. What ever the load is that makes improvement, great. But on the otherhand no elite sprinter is using 225 while squating. I think that any increase in weight while making the track a priority is likely to help in some way.

When dcw23 says “Small numbers”, I am sure he is referring to seconds, not pounds (or kg for those of us in the 21st century;))

9.78 is the small sort of number I’m talking about :smiley: