Sprinting Lifting routines

I was wondering if anyone could give me a little input in my lifting progam for track if you can bare with this long post. thanx

Mon.
Bench
incline bench
db flys
bicep curls
tri extension
Core (Abs)

Tuesday.
Squats
lunges
SL deadlift
db hang cleans
Jammer (almost like push press with machine)

Wed.
Off

Thurs.
milt press
front raises
shrugs
pull ups
db rows
Core

Friday
Hang cleans
push press
alt db press
single leg squats
Core

My background is that i’m a division III football and track participant, i’m 5’9" and weigh 165. The program i do is technically a football program, and i would tend to think that it may be to focused on bodybuilding rather than power. So this program may not be optimal for me during track. My legs are pretty big for my size, so i would like to gain more weight in my upper body, so i was also wondering as far as sets go. Should i focus on higher sets for upper to induce muscle gain, and focus more on lower sets since my legs are the size i want. Also, my best time in the 55 meters is 6.61 and i have a really good start , if that helps with what sets i should be doing. I would appreciate it if anyone could help.

working with your program id change it like this…
Mon.
Bench
incline bench
tri extension
Core (Abs)

Tuesday.
Hang cleans
Squats
SL deadlift
Jammer (almost like push press with machine) -if you must?

Wed.
Off

Thurs.
milt press
front raises
shrugs
pull ups
db rows
Core

Friday
Hang cleans
Squats
Core

or do what i do that is rather similar…
( i am 155 pounds 5’7, former d3 football player and i now just run track
55 p.r. is 6.63 electronic)

Pre-Competition

Monday-Oly.Lift (Snatch or Clean)
Squat
1 legged back extensions w/25 lbs. Plate 4x12 each leg.
Abs-150-200

Tuesday-Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Tricep Pushdown/Extensions
Abs-150-200

Thusday-Pullups 4x12
DB Rows or Seated rows
Lat. Pulldowns (wide or close grip)
Bicep Curls (cable, preacher, concentration or DB)
Double leg back extensions w/25 lbs. Plate 4x15
Abs-150-200

Friday-Squat
Shoulder Press (seated with bar)
Side Raises
Front Raises
Abs-150-200

Competition

Monday-Olympic Lift (Snatch or Clean)
Squat
1 legged back extensions w/25 lbs. Plate 4x12 each leg
Abs-150-200

Tuesday-Bench Press
Incline Bench?
Shoulder Press (seated w/bar)
Side Raises
Front Raises
Abs-150-200

Wednesday-Pullups 4x12
DB or Seated Rows
Lat. Pulldowns (close or wide grip)
Bicep Curls (cable, preacher, concentration or DB)
Hypers Double leg w/25 lbs. Plate
Abs-150-200

X-Factor,
I would personally recommend a variation of the WSB template as follows:

Mon Speed Bench

1. speed bench 60%1RM 8x3
  2. close grip bench 85%1RM 4x5
  3. weighted chins 4x5
  4. push press 60-75%1RM 5x3-5
  5. Heavy abs/obliques 4x4-8reps

Tues Max Squat/DL

1. 1-3RM Squat/Box Squat/DL/GM/Power Clean
  2. GHR weighted 3x8
  3. Lunges/step ups weighted 3x6
  4. Hyperextensions with loaded bar on back 3x5

Wed OFF

Thurs Max BP

1. 1-3RM Bench/Incline/Decline
  2. Heavy DB bench/incline/decline/or overhead 3x8
  3. weighted chins/barbell rows 4x6-8
  4. Rear Delts 3x8

Fri Speed SQ/DL

1. Box squat 50-60%1RM 10x2 or Olympic lift variation 50-60%1RM 8x3
  2. DL variation 85%1RM 4x5
  3. Single leg squats weighted 3x5
  4. box jumps or plyo variation

Obviously there are many variations, however I feel that something along these lines addresses football/track very well. Keep in mind that during football season you will have to reduce the volume to 2-3 lifts per workout, however you can still have great results with this reduced volume.

Don’t concern yourself with your aesthetics, if you train properly your muscles will hypertrophy as needed (form follows function). Even though you feel good about your leg development, Spot training is a bad idea.
Attack your weaknesses, from a strength/speed standpoint. Not a look in the mirror perspective.
James Smith

What’s with all the split routines? Strength will never be optimally developed when frequency = 1 session per week.

Speed days are unnecessary if you’re doing high quality track sessions (or performing OLs).

Why have we strayed so far from the basic principles of sound strength training? I have said it before and I will say it again, Bill Starr’s classic book THE STRONGEST SHALL SURVIVE should be in everyone’s library. It addresses all the principles of training: overload, regeneration, progression, variation, and detraining. Many will say that concepts such as “The Big Three” and “5 x 5” training are too simplistic and won’t work with advanced athletes. All I have to say is that they are missing the boat on this. Keep training as basic and simple for as long as possible before considering advanced techniques.

It’s worth noting that even the Westside Barbell Club guys are telling less advanced lifters to spend more time with straight weight to build up their strength before moving on to things like accomodating resistance.

What sort of sets/rep numbers/intensity are you doing? If you are doing high intensity take a day off weights after.

Are you cycling volume over weeks?
Paul does Bill Starr cover cycling of volume, if not it might be too basic…Is that the book from 1976 (out of print)?

Keep volume (total reps per session/week) low on legs if you don’t want to build them too much, I don’t know what you mean by higher/lower sets.

David could you expland on your comment please, what then should the frequency be of lifting, and should training not be a split routine, i.e. should training be the whole body in one session??? what do you recommend???

Read these
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=3476
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=3468
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=3296
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=569
http://www.charliefrancis.com/community/showthread.php?t=3470

Yes, whole body compound exercises:

EITHER
a. Squat and Olympic lift
OR
b. Squat, pull and press.

Exercise options (choose ONE):

1. Squat: Front or back or snatch deadlift
  2. Pressing movement: Bench, incline, military, dips, dumbell equivalents etc
  3. Pulling movement: Pull downs, pull ups, cable rows
  4. Olympic lift derivative: Power clean, power snatch, hang derivatives, pull derivatives etc

Reps: 2 - 8, Sets: 3 - 6

PLUS, Auxillary: Hyper, glute ham raise, pillars etc

Do abdominal work on tempo days

DW

Over the last 4 months I’ve been doing ab and lower back stuff first in the workout. And now I wouldn’t do it any other way, but I do also do some more at the end of the session, usually different stuff.
I feel this has saved me from injury more than one would think. Not only does it warmup my core, but seems to get my whole body ready for the workout - temp and mindset etc

Doesn’t effect my exercises as you think it would

Thank you Chad Touchberry for putting me onto this :slight_smile:

David, I disagree with your implication that whole body sessions are the optimal, with respect to optimal strength development. I believe that they are one way, but certainly not the only way.

My lifting partner and myself, both of us are drug free, utilize the WSB method and I am closing in on a 500lb equipped bench at 230 and my partner benches 500 RAW at 275. I helped bring my partners raw bench from 420 to 500 in less than a year by utilizing WSB principles.

Now, could other methods have been just as effective at contributing to his strength increases…Sure, but do not discount the effectiveness of the WSB method with respect to developing strength (limit, starting, explosive, reactive, etc.)

There is one optimal method/means for anyone in particular, without any of us working hands on with those who ask training questions all we can do is offer our opinion. And I have had tremendous success with the athletes that I have worked with, by utilizing various means plugged into the WSB method.

As far as the reference to the Bill Starr book, that someone else made, sure it is a great source of information, but to single it out as the only necessary text is irresponsible.
James Smith

James - it is definately optimal for sprinters.

No one said that Bill Starr’s book was the ONLY one needed in your reference library. There are many excellent books out there. But his book does serve as a good foundational reference book (as well as many others). If any of you have followed the writings of Bill Starr, you will know that there are plenty of variations on and within his theme of the “Big Three” and “5 x 5” training. If you can track down any back issues of MUSCULAR DEVELOPMENT and MILO magazines, there is a wealth of information in articles written by Bill Starr regarding such variables as; cycling, changing sets and reps, exercise variation, exercise specialization, etc…

David, do you state that based on your personal experience and/or the experience of other coaches?

Does Charlie also recommend whole body strength training sessions, with respect to sprinters?

The reason I ask, is because other coaches whom I have consulted with have offered information to the contrary.

Obviously there are many different schools of thought on the subject.
James Smith

I think the idea behind it is to keep CNS stresful exercise all in one day, and from what Ive read charlie does advocate full body sessions on sprint days.

Thanks for all your input.

As far as sets go, our football program uses sets:

a couple of weeks of 312 in all lifts
a couple of weeks of 3
10 in major lifts, and 312 in auxillary lifts
couple of weeks of 3
8 in major lifts, 310 auxillary lifts
couple of weeks of 4
6 in major lifts, 310 auxillary lifts
couple of weeks of 5
3 major lifts, 38 auxillary lifts
couple of weeks of 5,4,3,2,1 major lifts, 3
8 auxillary lifts

In charlies book, he mentioned that during the winter doing the shorter sprint 55 meters, one could concentrate on higher intensity lifting of heavier weight low sets. As i said before, my legs do not need to get bigger, but my upper body does, any recommendations how i should periodize my lifting to go along with the championship meets that are at the end of february-march.

Thanks

I wouldnt focus on gettin body areas bigger if your all about performance, do your sprints, lift and eat properly and your body will sort out the weight itself.

David,

Do you like the bent-over barbell row for a pulling exercise?

Personally i think you should just do something like this:

mon(speed) - clean, squat, bench, bent over row
tues(tempo) - none
wed(speed) - hang snatch 5x3, stiff leg deadlift 3x5, push press 3x3, lat. pull down 3x6
thurs(tempo) - none
fri(speed) - clean, squat, bench, bent over row

Using periodizing for the squat bench, clean, and bent row like this:
the first week is used just for getting into the weights.
week 1:10, 7, 5, 3, 1 (70%, 75%, 80%, 85%, 95%)
week 2:5x5 (80%)
week 3:5,5,5,3,1 (80%x3, 85%, 95%)
week 4:5,3,3,3,1 (80%, 85%x3, 95%)
week 5:5,3,1,1,1 (80%, 85%, 95%x3)

this would be the best in my opinion to maximise performance.