sprinter strength training program

Phase 1: 4 weeks

Mondays- Bench Press/ Squats/ Cleans/ Biceps/ choice
Wednesdays- Shoulder Press/ Cleans/ Incline Press/ Leg Extensions/Squats

Fridays- Bench Press/ Dead Lifts/ Hamstring Curls/ Calf Raises/ Running Arms with weights

On the 2 off days, do the Hip machine: Extension and Flexion
(is this okay to do with tempo???)

The repetitions for this phase is 3 sets of 15 reps.

any advice for changes???

(I compete in indoor (jan) and outdoor (apr)
will this wear me down???

ANY ADVICE FOR PHASE 2 As well???
THANKS EVERYONE!

Just to start off, I would always order your cleans at the beginning of your lifting workout (assuming the lifts are done in the order you listed). If you were doing snatches, they would be ordered ahead of cleans. Lifts with higher technical execution (and with higher velocities) should be ordered first. I have seen squats done before cleans/snatches, but I would presume that they were done for a warm-up effect (as the loads were not that great).

Sample orderings for your plan could be:

Mondays- Cleans/Bench Press/ Squats/ Biceps/ choice
Wednesdays- Cleans/ Incline Press/ Squats/Shoulder Press/Leg Extensions
Fridays- Bench Press/ Dead Lifts/ Running Arms with weights/Hamstring Curls/ Calf Raises/

Do the reps stay at 3x15 for the whole 4 week phase? Depending on your level of ability and training history, I wouldn’t recommend spending too much time at these rep ranges. I’ll let others jump in for more comments.

Originally posted by NumberTwo

Mondays- Cleans/Bench Press/ Squats/ Biceps/ choice
Wednesdays- Cleans/ Incline Press/ Squats/Shoulder Press/Leg Extensions
Fridays- Bench Press/ Dead Lifts/ Running Arms with weights/Hamstring Curls/ Calf Raises/

To start off I would eliminate biceps, “choice”, leg extensions, running arms, calf raises and hamstring curls. They are all bodybuilder type exercises that should be used in circuit fashion on tempo days for General Strength exercises. In my opinion, you should have an OL, a squatting movement, and a pressing movement, and MAYBE one other lift (like an upper body pushing/pulling or center-body pulling movement) for your workout.

Check out this link for help:

www.athletics.ucr.edu/strengthconditioning/tbworkout.html

I say 3-4 exercises per session MAX. Lifting is supplementary, not core.

That’s all I am going to say, now others may build on what I said.