sprint work advice

I will work on the vid cap or an animated gif or something. BAsed on early conversations on this board I have significantly changed her approach to lifting so I don’t thinkthat is the problem but who knows. I think it has to do with the fact that she hasn’t done much over 30 meters with the exception of some SE stuff. here is last week leading into an indoor meet on sunday. I am assuming good warm up etc.

monday - 2x50 stride, 2x30 crouch(easy), 4x30 crouch (fast 2’ rec), 4x30 block 2’ rec.

tues - 8x200 38" 2’ rec.

wed-3x100 SE fast 6’ rec

thurs - stretch, hurdle mobility, abs. etc

fri - 2x50 stride, 2x30 crouch(easy), 2x30 fast, 6x60 block 3’ rec.

sat- off

sun - indoor meet.

Viking, I agree with Kyle on both counts of greatly increasing your rest periods between reps on speed days and try to include some fly work on speed days-usually AFTER the acceleration work.

Your comment about the quad sounds familiar to me. That is why I am prescribing deadlifts and power cleans only for the time being at least. See DCW’s advice on Deadlift thread (strength training).

By the way David, do you do the deadlifts in continuous fashion or like singles in a row? Thanks

Viking

I totally admire your dedication and willingness to work. Here are a few questions I had:

Your cycle has four speed sessions in seven days plus a stretching and hurdling mobility session. Her hamstrings could be hammered.

6x60 is excessive two days before race unless the performance is of little consequence and you’re aiming for the summer 100s and 200s.

Gerard Mach’s book recommends a minimum of 10 mins between SE efforts.

What strength work are you doing?

Sorry for all the Qs, more background needed!

How important are the meets?
What volume are you doing in the meets?
e.g. 60m heats & final, 200m heats & final etc. Need to know this before looking into overall structure.

Other comments:
The SE workout is a neither here nor there. Rest is either too short or too long depending on what you are aiming to achieve. What sort of times is she doing on these - I guess they are flying? My guess would be between 12-13 going from the above times.

The 6x60 on Friday is pretty intense stuff for the Friday, two days before the meet.

The meets are completely inconsequential. She is simply going to these HS indoor meets at the local university to run and get some rust off. Yes I would like to see her run a decent time, which she didn’t, so It had me a little concerned about what I have been doing. Her quad was a little dinged on that Friday doing the 60’s but she said it felt fine later, but at the meet a little tight again. She has been on recruiting trips this week so it was a good time to give her a chance to rest it. The SE day were all in the mid 12’s from a stand not a fly. She ran a prelim heat and a final heat. In the prelim her boyfriend said her start was attrocious and in the final she didn’t drive at all (quad kicked in again she said a little). I looked at her lifting and i may have been falling back into some old habits again as of late. I get concerned I’m not keeping her strength levels up (165 clean and 260 parallel squat). This girl has worked so incredibly hard you would all be amazed that a HS kid can have this kind of dedication. She will run under 12.00 and 24.80 if I have to friggin push her down the track myself! She deserves it :clap: I just want to say thank you again to all the people on this board who take time out to help the little morons like myself become better at helping kids. :help:

165 clean and 260 parallel squat

for a high school girl i think her strength is just fine.

Good strength levels for your girl, Viking. It proves her great hard work.
How about her jumping hability? I rode Pietro Mennea’s coach, Carlo Vittori, said that the best marks the athlete can do at three, five and ten long jumps from a standing position correlates with his/her ability for accelerate and to have good flying speed.
How many competitions does your girl had this year? Maybe she was nervous at one of her first competitions.